Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:58 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,246,248 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with the OP.

But to the electorate at large: You may have gotten what you wanted, but you may not want what you're gonna get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 10:05 AM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
Exactly. Now we all have to let Mr. Trump know that we intend to see that he keeps his campaign promises and help him drain the swamp. That means putting both parties and all the major DC power players that things will change this time around.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:09 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,186,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think turmps message of making america great again, and being as positive as he was, really resonated with voters where it needed to, ohio, pennsylvania, wisconsin and michigan.

the question now is, can trump unite the people, and focus everyone on the job at hand, and move the country forward without overheating the economy and having it crash five years along.
Trump will not unite the people, no president can. We are an incredibly divided nation. The last time we were truly united was when 9/11 happened and that unity didn't last long as we became divided again when America declared war on Iraq.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:20 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Trump's Win Is A Repudiation Of BOTH Parties, Not Just Liberals...

Let's hope so!

I'm not fond of the man but would have voted for him had he run as an (I) as I believe a good smackdown is something both major parties richly deserve.

Hopefully he'll be able to get Congress off it's collective ass and doing something more constructive than obstruction.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:46 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,471,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Trump will not unite the people, no president can. We are an incredibly divided nation. The last time we were truly united was when 9/11 happened and that unity didn't last long as we became divided again when America declared war on Iraq.
True, but we've never had a more divisive President in over one hundred years as the one that was elected last night. Of course he never cared about unity, and never will.

The Great American Gamble.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,441,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I firmly believe Trump's election is the public saying they've had enough of BOTH parties. He's no GOP "Boy-O", certainly not liberal,nor is he a staunch conservative. He's more anti-party than he is a member of either.
I think people are tired of the same old-same old where nothing changes but the seat holder.
I guess we'll see, I for one hope like hell that Trump shakes things up and does truly drain the swamp!
Being "tired" is not a plan. Now, those "tired" people will get what they wished for.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:17 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,186,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
True, but we've never had a more divisive President in over one hundred years as the one that was elected last night. Of course he never cared about unity, and never will.

Trump didn't divide America and neither did Obama. Their campaigns and ultimately elections have only revealed how divided this country already is with or without them. They've only given the chasm a loud voice. It's because of that unless some drastic 9/11 style tragedy happens this country will remain divided.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:19 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,919,993 times
Exactly right OP. The Republican establishment is as rotten as the Democrat establishment.

We are in a new era of regular people versus elites and nationalists versus globalism. Right versus left is becoming much less relevant.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:22 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Trump is a populist. Trumps win in the primary was an utter rejection of the Republican Establishment.
and Trump supporters are far more interested in taking the long-knives out on the Republican Establishment than they are democrats.
Trumps win in the General was a rejection of the Progressive wave that just about swamped America.
You are right that both the Republican Establishment and the Progressive movement were rejected last night.
You are right that even modern "conservatism" was rejected last night.
Trump is a populist and his message has been about doing whatever for Americans.
If I heard anything last night that made sense, it was the stat that the US Census bureau put out. Median Income is lower today than in 1999. That right there is the heart of why Trump one. and those voting for him blame both parties.
Amen.

The last 8 years sucked and the establishment Republicans were just a big a problem as the Democrats in power.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trump's Win Is A Repudiation Of BOTH Parties, Not Just Liberals...

Let's hope so!

I'm not fond of the man but would have voted for him had he run as an (I) as I believe a good smackdown is something both major parties richly deserve.

Hopefully he'll be able to get Congress off it's collective ass and doing something more constructive than obstruction.
He wouldn't have won as an (I) as has been showed over and over again so he picked (R) as the last 8 years made people real tired of (D).

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

Hasn't it ALWAYS been a gamble?
Here's to term limits etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies