Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 03:14 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times

Advertisements

Seems like all of a sudden the leftist gun ban types are wishing they were gunned up. Or is it just me? Lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 03:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Gun control was all about 'control', not guns. It was to remove guns from the 'good guys' and leave guns in the hands of the perps. It was the dems method of even more governmental control over the people.
So would you agree that marijuana control (i.e., medicinal only; or not at all) laws are (in some cases/places, were) not about marijuana, but about control? The conservatives' method of even more governmental control over people?

Old 11-10-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
how about a fact or two- exactly how many school children have been SAVED by gun owners (vs killed by them?!!!)-
I can tell you right now I can name a lot more massacres of innocent people than "saved" by privately owned gun owners...
This is actually a good question. Are there any stats on this? We keep on hearing about this as a hypothetical but I'm not seeing any actual numbers. I will re-read back as I may have missed it but if not, then...anyone?

Old 11-10-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Most gun deaths are suicides. Since the left is good with suicide, this shouldn't be a problem.
Is there a stat on this?

Also, if this is accurate (assuming greater than 50%, I'll accept that and that's fine), what would the total number be, of each? Because if it's not an insignificant number, I still can't see this as being a supportive argument.

Further, I'm not sure "most are suicides" means it's totally fine to have guns nor how the first part of that sentence translates to the second...it's still deaths via guns...but meanwhile I'm curious about the numbers...I believe this, I'd just rather see these arguments supported than unsupported comments thrown about because those are tough to have a logical discussion about (i.e. anyone can say anything).

Old 11-10-2016, 03:22 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
There were state victories as well against gun control. Sue Minter pushed gun control hard running for governor of Vermont, and lost big. The Bloomberg backed gun control referendum in Maine was defeated. I'd say this was a very dangerous election for the second amendment and we did well.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yeah, it makes much more sense to place blame on an inanimate object than the person that has control of said object
This is a common but (sorry) sort of ridiculous argument. A gun can do A WHOLE LOT MORE DAMAGE than a person who doesn't have a gun. Unless you can throw multiple knives at people at 25,000 feet per second, in a circular spray hitting multiple people in under a minute, with accuracy to potentially kill all of them instantly, then sorry, "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a slanted and avoidance type of argument.

Duh, yes, it's a person doing the killing. It's also a person shooting up heroin, does that mean heroin doesn't kill people, people kill people PLUS heroin could potentially be a great drug in a number of ways so not only don't illegalize it, but don't control it beyond the barest, most shallow "background check"?

Give us a break. I'm not saying "ban guns," so don't anybody get hysterical and drop to the ground in a seizure, but...spare us this sort of silliness.

You want to shoot stuff. We get that. Saying there shouldn't be "control" regarding said shooting stuff is just...well...come on now.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:32 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Is there a stat on this?

Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the US. Each year 42,773 Americans die by suicide.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.23 per 100,000 U.S. citizens);
11,208 homicides (3.5 per 100,000);
21,175 suicides;
505 deaths due to accidental/negligent discharge of a firearm;
281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent", included in a total of 33,636 deaths due to "Injury by firearms", or 10.6 deaths per 100,000 people.

Of the 2,596,993 total deaths in the US in 2013, 1.3% were related to firearms.

Last edited by Jimbo302; 11-10-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 03:41 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
Is there a stat on this?

Also, if this is accurate (assuming greater than 50%, I'll accept that and that's fine), what would the total number be, of each? Because if it's not an insignificant number, I still can't see this as being a supportive argument.

Further, I'm not sure "most are suicides" means it's totally fine to have guns nor how the first part of that sentence translates to the second...it's still deaths via guns...but meanwhile I'm curious about the numbers...I believe this, I'd just rather see these arguments supported than unsupported comments thrown about because those are tough to have a logical discussion about (i.e. anyone can say anything).
Are you arguing that a person shouldn't have control over their body and if they choose to continue to live or not? If someone is so motivated to kill themselves, is how they do it really matter?

Old 11-10-2016, 04:38 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,465 times
Quote:
This is actually a good question. Are there any stats on this? We keep on hearing about this as a hypothetical but I'm not seeing any actual numbers. I will re-read back as I may have missed it but if not, then...anyone?
I already answered that earlier in the thread.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Are you arguing that a person shouldn't have control over their body and if they choose to continue to live or not? If someone is so motivated to kill themselves, is how they do it really matter?
Where did I say this?

I was stating that if the argument is that more gun deaths are suicides v. homicides, that still is no good argument for guns not being dangerous. Death is death, LOL. Isn't it?

This doesn't relate to my beliefs on suicide rights. I can believe a person has a right to his/her body going on living or being ended, yet still believe that setting off a bomb in a building in order to achieve that should be an illegal act, to give an example.

That's a sort of an odd question, TBH, trailing off on a not quite well-fitting tangent from my post but I hope I've addressed it correctly. If not let me know what further information you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies