Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So you point to an article about someone other than HRC, and that other person does not claim a mandate?

What's the point of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You're deluded. The Clintons called it a "mandate" when Bill only won 43% of the popular vote. Hillary ran a classless campaign and would absolutely have called it a mandate IF she had won.

You think winning the Presidency, keeping the Senate and House isn't a mandate? Liberals think they have a mandate even when they lose elections.

Here's something to laugh about: Hillary Clinton back when the left was still POSITIVE that Hillary was going to win with a landslide.
I think you're confused. Hillary Clinton has never won the presidency.

The Republicans didn't win the Senate and House. They just didn't lose them.

They were NEVER going to lose the House. Their majority was too great. It was only POSSIBLE to lose the Senate.

So...I guess you're saying that if a minority of hte people vote for someone, that's a mandate? So...is that a good way to unite the country?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
So, here's a truth for you. They all say they got a mandate when they win the election no matter the margins.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Ah, but elections have consequences!
THAT is definitely true. But that's different from a mandate. Unless you're using the term as in "Aunt Martha and Uncle Vern have given me a mandate to spend Cousin Barney's fortune as I see fit." Even though the other 11 members of the family did not.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:20 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
But I'm sure there would be a mandate if Clinton won, right?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:21 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Will they force people to buy an overpriced product from private corporations just because they're alive?
I don't understand. I assume you are talking about Evil Obamacare(tm)?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:25 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yet 90% of the landmass of the nation supported Trump.
As the Preamble of our constitution states: "We the Landmass..."

Old 11-10-2016, 08:33 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
So you point to an article about someone other than HRC, and that other person does not claim a mandate?

What's the point of that?
Did you not read the article?

Old 11-10-2016, 08:50 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
bpollen, I think you misunderstand the Trump phenomenon. He is not a republican. He blasted through every one of the republican candidates in the primaries one by one and he didn't care if he insulted them or anyone in congress by doing so.

In the general election, he blasted through the best the democrats could put up and he didn't care who he insulted in doing so.

The mandate is not the republican party against the democrats. It is the people of america tired of a political system that doesn't work. The mandate is politicians, all politicians, getting something done. That is their job and they are going to have to perform. I think any senator that is up for election in 2 years better show a record of inclusion, not obstruction.

Trump called Pelosi and Schumer within 12 hours of his acceptance speech to talk about the infrastructure. He is more than 2 months from taking office and he is already at work and including the democrats. Obama didn't cross the aisle unless he had to in the entire 8 years he was in office.

Business people are used to getting things done. Politicians, and all government workers are not. This will be a different scenario for them

Paul Ryan is right, they do have a mandate GET TO WORK

Old 11-10-2016, 08:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
bpollen, I think you misunderstand the Trump phenomenon. He is not a republican. He blasted through every one of the republican candidates in the primaries one by one and he didn't care if he insulted them or anyone in congress by doing so.

In the general election, he blasted through the best the democrats could put up and he didn't care who he insulted in doing so.

The mandate is not the republican party against the democrats. It is the people of america tired of a political system that doesn't work. The mandate is politicians, all politicians, getting something done. That is their job and they are going to have to perform. I think any senator that is up for election in 2 years better show a record of inclusion, not obstruction.

Trump called Pelosi and Schumer within 12 hours of his acceptance speech to talk about the infrastructure. He is more than 2 months from taking office and he is including the democrats. Obama didn't cross the aisle unless he had to in the entire 8 years he was in office.

Business people are used to getting things done. Politicians, and all government workers are not. This will be a different scenario for them

Paul Ryan is right, they do have a mandate GET TO WORK
He would have a better grasp if he had actually read the article I had posted for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies