Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:41 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You are joking about it, but there are some on the far right who would like to see that happen. Look up pastor Steven Anderson in Arizona. He is planting churches all over the country and has a lot more influence than most people realize.
Oh gosh, just stop already. Do you want to be play the victim or something? No one like that will ever pick up steam. Even among Christians. That type of stuff is so vile that it'll never be mainstream, especially among conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 12:42 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
I'm sure Trump would love to pull back progress in all forms of human rights, but the young people of this country won't let it happen.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I'm sure Trump would love to pull back progress in all forms of human rights, but the young people of this country won't let it happen.
I only see that happening if he lets Pence influence him.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:47 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
The insularity of the liberals in here is so laughable. That would as funny as me saying that Clinton would've meant the end to all Christian churches, all religious freedom, a ban on talk radio and jail time for wearing offensive Halloween costumes.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:49 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I only see that happening if he lets Pence influence him.
I hate Pence.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:53 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
You are joking about it, but there are some on the far right who would like to see that happen. Look up pastor Steven Anderson in Arizona. He is planting churches all over the country and has a lot more influence than most people realize.
If this election was a football game it's time for you to burn all 3 of your timeouts and mentally/emotionally regroup.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
But Pence isn't. Pence wanted to divert funding from AIDS research and appropriate public funding for conversion therapy.

I am not so worried about Trump himself, but who he fills his cabinet with and also what he allows the GOP Congress to do. I doubt an anti-LGBT crusade will be at the top of Trump's agenda, but of Congress wants to do it, I don't trust that Trump won't go along with it.
Wouldn't worry about Pence. He did his job for Trump. Got him conservative votes that he was worried might otherwise stay home because Trump really isn't conservative on most social issues.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:16 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,716 times
Quote:
Regardless of whether or not the religious right is able to roll back marriage equality, how do you think LGBT acceptance in general will play out in our society over the next four years?

Even under Obama, there are some places in the U.S. (I live in one of them) where LGBT acceptance has only reached the point it was in the major urban centers during the 1980s. Homosexuality is tolerated, but it's not accepted and coming out can have significant social consequences and possibly make you a target for physical harm or cause you to lose your job. Gay jokes and slurs fly in every day conversation and nobody thinks anything of it.

I am concerned that if the religious right gets what they want i.e. marriage equality reversed, DADT re-instated, some of the acceptance that has been built nationwide will be reversed and the situation will become unbearable in Bible Belt states like Oklahoma and Mississippi (if it isn't already).

Does anybody else have this worry or is it unfounded?
Trump isn't even religious. People are about to find out that he only used the Republican platform to get elected

Just because he doesn't pander to these people doesn't mean he gives two $hits about their lifestyle.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:19 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Does anybody else have this worry or is it unfounded?
No, because the LGBT community has worked to hard and come too far to be silenced. We'll fight at all costs and WIN. Again. lol

Old 11-10-2016, 02:39 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,374 times
I believe that under Trump, he will allow the states to decide on the aspects of religious freedom on such as if a business has a right to refuse to serve a gay wedding or if a transgender has a right to use a certain rest room. States can have greater say in religious freedom and that is as far as it goes. Other than that there be no change in gay marriage being legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies