Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 08:16 AM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The GOP vote was less than it was in 2012. Where then did this backlash come from if the GOP got fewer votes than 4 yrs ago.
The backlash came from Dem voters who stayed home and didn't vote. The drop in Dem votes was significantly more than the drop in GOP votes. Hillary was unelectable, and the traditionally Dem voter blue collar workers refused to support her in OH, WI, MI, and PA.

Ponder that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You are badly misreading the results of the election
Me? Don't you think you should take that up with Michael Moore and Jonathan Pie? They both NAILED it. Meanwhile, the political pundits and the MSM got it VERY wrong.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:20 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Me? Don't you think you should take that up with Michael Moore and Jonathan Pie? They both NAILED it. Meanwhile, the political pundits and the MSM got it VERY wrong.
I can agree that the Michael Moore article was impressive... I would have never pegged him as the guy that predicted it dead on right.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:20 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Buyer's remorse will set in when people realize that Trump is no different than the 44 who came before him. He serves the wealthy and influential just the same. Really, we will never achieve what Trump dangled in front of voters. It just doesn't happen. It will be a hard reckoning for America because we have gone left, gone right, and populist all with same sorry outcomes. The challenges to our economic well being that are at the root of the discontent look likely to only get worse with artificial intelligence and robotics looming. I don't know if people will pivot back to Dems. I think it is more likely that we start reaching for solutions outside of the democratic process. Democracy is becoming an endangered species, I fear.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:21 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
But you yourself said it's NOT unacceptable. You said using racial epithets "shows the progression of liberal concepts."

Let's follow the conversation:

Bullsh1t. Doesn't deserve much more of a response than that . Do better than this .

Old 11-11-2016, 08:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Sure, Republicans have won elections lately....but the culture is where it's at. Everything else eventually flows from that. And you still OWN that--the media, entertainment, academia, public schools, etc.
Little by little, you work the country leftward....incrementally....every year.
Your future looks bright.
There will be another presidential election in 2020; use these next four years productivity (instead of violent rioting and complaining) and work together to find candidates for your party who are not conniving crooks, unethical liars, cheaters, and/or self-serving hypocrites.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:24 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
The backlash came from Dem voters who stayed home and didn't vote. The drop in Dem votes was significantly more than the drop in GOP votes. Hillary was unelectable, and the traditionally Dem voter blue collar workers refused to support her in OH, WI, MI, and PA.

Ponder that...

Exactly . So why do you interpret Dem voters staying home, not voting for a disliked candidate but also NOT voting for the GOP candidate as a backlash dooming the Dem party ? All the Dems have to do is put Sanders in a leadership position , or someone similar , and they have these guys back .

Old 11-11-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Bullsh1t.
It's all there in print with links. You said what you said. Own it.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
What does Michael Moore saying that blue collar workers were pissed off have to do with making abortion illegal and stopping gay marriage?

This was the point I'm making. The right views a win with -200K votes as an endorsement of taking steps back on those things. At worst you could say that the Democratic party focused too much on identity politics vs economics..so if the rights response is focusing on identity politics in the other direction and letting wall st run rampant, that isn't an overstep? Because I have a feeling that is what is coming.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
There will be another presidential election in 2020; use these next four years productivity (instead of violent rioting and complaining) and work together to find candidates for your party who are not conniving crooks, unethical liars, cheaters, and/or self-serving hypocrites.
They'll have to start courting the working class again, too. The working class gave the win to Trump. Michael Moore explained exactly why.

For those who haven't seen it (NSFW language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKeYbEOSqYc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies