Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 09:58 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times

Advertisements

Let's not beat about the bush, Tuesday was a disastrous day for the Democratic Party in the United States. They lost the White House, they were beaten in both houses of Congress, they performed poorly in the governship elections, and they have lost their opportunity to nominate at least one Supreme Court Justice.

From my perspective, it seems as though their first mistake was to put forward a highly-flawed candidate who is very unpopular among non-Democrat voters, and is renowned for being a poor campaigner. It seems as though they chose a candidate whose "time had come" rather than someone who had a realistic chance of winning over the country. Secondly, in order to win an election you need to win over moderates and people from the other side. I don't know about you guys, but suggesting that those who don't agree with you are unintelligent, racists, or "deplorables" does not seem like good strategy to me. We saw it over here in the UK during the EU referendum, voters do not respond well to being patronized, and they will make their displeasure clear via the ballot box.

Personally, I think the second point is of more concern since it doesn't just effect this election, it has already contributed to the liberal establishment suffering damaging defeats this year, and may lead to more defeats for the progressive movement in the future. I think the Democrats and other progressive parties desperately need to find a way to alter their tone in order to appear less sanctimonious towards voters.

These are the two major reasons from my point of view, of course you're free to disagree. I am interested in hearing your suggestions for what the Democratic party needs to do in order to regain its appeal in time for the midterm elections in 2018, and the next Presidential election in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 10:01 AM

862 posts, read 519,315 times
Agree with what you wrote so far.

The other main factor to me is that the democrats have embraced fringe anarchist groups such as OWS, BLM, etc and have become obsessed with blaming white people for everything bad in the country, and straight up refused to acknowledge that today's terrorism is almost solely Islamic.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:01 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
There must be 20 threads covering this already.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There must be 20 threads covering this already.
I apologize if that's the case, understandably things are a bit hectic on these forums at the moment.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:04 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
What makes you think the Democrats did something wrong? Maybe the Republicans just did something right?

Old 11-11-2016, 10:06 AM

3,325 posts, read 1,959,833 times
Arrogance pure and simple.
All is vanity.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:06 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
They determined the results of the primary before the primary was over.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Agree with what you wrote so far.

The other main factor to me is that the democrats have embraced fringe anarchist groups such as OWS, BLM, etc and have become obsessed with blaming white people for everything bad in the country.
It's certainly true that there has been something of a "whitelash", white voters, particularly men, feel as though they are under constant attack from the left. Whites do make up the majority of voters, so to embrace movements and ideologies that in some cases villianize white people, is very poor strategic move.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:08 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
It's simple. Their heads became far too swollen. They became arrogant. Self-aggrandizing. They became bullies. And it's only a matter of time until the rest of the schoolyard is through putting up with the bully.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:09 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Let's not beat about the bush, Tuesday was a disastrous day for the Democratic Party in the United States. They lost the White House, they were beaten in both houses of Congress, they performed poorly in the governship elections, and they have lost their opportunity to nominate at least one Supreme Court Justice.

From my perspective, it seems as though their first mistake was to put forward a highly-flawed candidate who is very unpopular among non-Democrat voters, and is renowned for being a poor campaigner. It seems as though they chose a candidate whose "time had come" rather than someone who had a realistic chance of winning over the country. Secondly, in order to win an election you need to win over moderates and people from the other side. I don't know about you guys, but suggesting that those who don't agree with you are unintelligent, racists, or "deplorables" does not seem like good strategy to me. We saw it over here in the UK during the EU referendum, voters do not respond well to being patronized, and they will make their displeasure clear via the ballot box.

Personally I think the second point is of more concern since it doesn't just effect this election, it has already contributed to the liberal establishment suffering damaging defeats this year, and may lead to more defeats for the progressive movement in the future. I think the Democrats and other progressive parties desperately need to find a way to alter their tone in order to appear less sanctimonious.

These are the two major reasons from my point of view, of course you're free to disagree. I am interested in hearing your suggestions for what the Democratic party needs to do in order to regain its appeal in time for the midterm elections in 2018, and the next Presidential election in 2020.
Move away from identity politics, move towards populist working class economic issues.

The dems lost the election by a few thousand votes in a few states, and won the popular vote by 200K. The population is becoming less white. If this was an electoral landslide alla Reagan and Trump won by millions of votes, there would be cause for serious alarm.

The cause for alarm comes more from right wingers joy riding over Trump than reality and exaggerating the extent of this repudiation of progressive values. The repudiation is of being ignored economically.

As for Clinton, she was basically anointed by the party after losing to Obama 2008. The super delegate thing needs to be done away with, and Clintonites need to be purged from the party.

The biggest concern for Democrats is if Trump puts Ted Cruz approved religious whack jobs up for Supreme Court Justices. That is something to truly be alarmed about. I think in select cases they should filibuster extremist nominees, but not overplay their hand with moderates that he hopefully will put up. I don't see Ginsburg getting through 4 more years so that is a big loss for Progressives.

The Republicans will have no problem with this because they were obstructionist for 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies