Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:57 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I hold no hope for this country. When I see statements blaming the poor for sucking Medicare dry, I throw up my hands and say screw it. If we've learned nothing in the past two decades about the massive amount of blame that lies at the feet of insurance companies, big pharma and the government being in bed with both, I really don't know what to say to any of you. Yet you'll still beat that anti-poor, anti-welfare drum as if they have any goddamned power to do anything to you. It would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad. Wake up.
Good Post

The deep pockets that purchase politicians are to blame.
And the same deep pockets run to buy stocks to make even more money after they hand over the bills they have written

The biggest fix to the health insurance sector would be to throw out the lobbyists and to separate Wall Street from Government. It is not the governments job to make you wealthy at other peoples expense.

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...=a&indexType=i

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832

Electric Utilities $2,013,127,133
Electronics Mfg & Equip $1,823,347,451
Business Associations $1,811,811,643
Oil & Gas $1,715,405,541
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,416,425,661
Education $1,399,862,870
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,310,021,801
Telecom Services $1,271,840,866
Securities & Investment $1,264,774,284
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,216,181,432
Real Estate $1,215,135,758
Health Professionals $1,189,983,794
Air Transport $1,125,384,003
Misc Issues $929,225,311
Automotive $891,793,138
Defense Aerospace $887,354,553
Health Services/HMOs $863,410,051
TV/Movies/Music $851,379,595
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 07:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Not a bad thing, but we have to free up the rest of the industry as well. Also, he isn't talking about getting rid of it, but privatizing it.

Same with SSI, both are great options, but the individual MUST retain the right to choose for themselves as they see fit within the issue. Man I would have loved to not have SSI from the start and be able to choose how I used my money as I saw fit and invest it as I saw best. Government is filled with IDIOTs, they have no clue what is best for me.

Same with Medicare, let people setup their own plans themselves, customize them as they see fit.
What does privitize mean?

Medicare was created because health insurers declined to insure most elderly people. This was 50 years ago when there were few treatment options available. No one imagined, at the time, that Medicare would one day foot the bill for a heart transplant for a very wealthy 70 year old with a long history of heart disease.

We are in the annual open enrollment period for Medicare Supplimental Insurance. Insurers are bombarding the airways with ads offering supplimental Medicare insurance and the cost of the massive annual marketing campaign is baked into the premiums paid for supplimental insurance. Insurers find it very profitable to offer supplimental insurance to help pay for what Medicare does not.

There is long history for the Federal Government to step in when the private sector does not.

While The FDIC is backed by member bank reserves, it has an almost unlimited ability to draw on the FRB, should such reserves be exhausted as might have happened in 2008-9.

FEMA was created to provide flood insurance when private insurers would not.

Private pensions are guaranteed by the Federal Government to ensure a continuity of pension payments to retired employees if the employer can not do so.

The Federal Government insures against crop failure because the private sector would not.

These are examples of the tip of the iceberg in terms of Federal Government stepping in when the private sector opts out.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:05 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Sounds like Grandpa and Grandma will be living in their kids basements soon (or dying earlier) if their kids are lucky to have one.

My Grandma and Great-Grandma lived with us back in the "Happy Days" of the 1950's when America was "Great". They both outlived his husbands.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:13 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Yes. I lived in this kind of systems, and I must admit that I slept much better at night knowing that I'm not one broken leg from bankruptcy.
You must not have much to start with.

You lay awake at night worrying about this?

Old 11-16-2016, 08:25 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
The problem here is the facts are swirled in a toilet bowl of lies. France has enormous issues because of its policies and the US's problems are a direct result of government intervention into the system.

Again, as I said.. move to France if you want to be subjugated under the state and have your liberties dictated to you. We are trying to return the US back to more of a liberty based government, not dive into the cesspool of servitude to the state.
Yeah, nevermind the polls and studies which show all other advanced
countries' citizens are much more pleased with their health care systems
than Americans are.

After all, it doesn't matter what the people think, what's really important
is clinging on to an 18th century ideology that fattens the ultra-rich.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Sounds like Grandpa and Grandma will be living in their kids basements soon (or dying earlier) if their kids are lucky to have one.

My Grandma and Great-Grandma lived with us back in the "Happy Days" of the 1950's when America was "Great". They both outlived his husbands.
At one point in time, plenty of households had an elderly person, usually a grandma in place. Caregiving was often a huge burden on the family. Those without families often led lives of quiet desperation. Back then if an elderly person got sick, they died. Treatment of chronic disease was primitive compared to today.

As of 2014, there were 46 million age 65 and older, about 15% of the population.
10,000 people turn 65, daily. The senior population is projected to be 84 million by 2050, when all surviving baby boomers will be over age 85. This will include all the so- called Generation X and the front end of the Millenial generation.

In the developed world, each generation following the Silent Generation has had few children than the prior generation. The incidence of massive numbers of seniors without family will increase and is certainly not limited to the US.

During the Bush 2 years, Congress twice denied Medicare the ability to regulate the cost of prescription medications or allow it to buy medications from say, Canada. It's ironic that the same Congress expanded Medicare to include prescription medications, a swell benefit that requires subsidy from the Federal Government. It was obvious to the most casual observer that Congress chose to put the interests of Big Pharm before that of the people and the Federal Government.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:55 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No
What if I decide not to participate?

Old 11-16-2016, 08:57 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Yeah, nevermind the polls and studies which show all other advanced
countries' citizens are much more pleased with their health care systems
than Americans are.

You mean things like the last election polls and all the reports government has put out and all the medias reports on things? That kind of information manipulation?

Yeah... umm... sure... riiiiiiight.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
What matters is how people vote. They ain't buying your crap.

They won't buy Ryan's program either.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:58 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
The republican scumbags have been salivating to privatize and hand Wall Street everything. The US Postal Service, Medicare, Social Security, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies