Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 08:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The poorest among us that work pay a higher % of income in social security and other fees then some of the truly rich.
True, and entirely irrelevant to the point being discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 08:02 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And put into the context of the time he was talking about Western European nationals and all Christian religions.
According to you?

Quote:
It didn't even refer to the Indians already here at the time.
Since uninvited immigrants from Europe (like George) took the land and systematically decimated them, or forcibly removed them, that would have been awkward.

Quote:
Besides there was no mass immigration up through that time from Europe let alone else where.
There wasn't? How did George's ancestors get here? Or his slaves? I guess some want to define "mass" as "lower than today's numbers", but as a percentage of the population, what was the immigrant share?

The history of immigration to the United States details the movement of people to the United States starting with the first European settlements from around 1600. Beginning around this time, British and other Europeans settled primarily on the East Coast. Later Africans were imported as slaves. The United States experienced successive waves of immigration, particularly from Europe. Immigrants sometimes paid the cost of transoceanic transportation by becoming indentured servants after their arrival in the New World.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...lation_in_1790

Old 11-12-2016, 08:03 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Doesn't Germany have a history of eliminating unwanted religious groups?
Around 12 year political history. Contrast that with 1300 year history for Islam. Every group has a history.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I'm all for more educated and skilled immigration from all over the world into the USA. That would be a fine change to make IMO. I'm not so keen on anything else though and can't figure out why anyone would be.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 PM

516 posts, read 429,334 times
Simply put, this country has become nothing but a bunch of leftist softies who care too much about peoples feelings and what is going to offend someone. When people get offended, in my opinion, its their problem, not mine. What ever happened to thinking logically with your brain instead of your heart? Thinking with your heart should be reserved for your personal life, not politics and government issues regarding the masses. Just my $0.02

Old 11-12-2016, 08:06 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Quote:
Around 12 year political history. Contrast that with 1300 year history for Islam. Every group has a history.
Would you go along with implementing Germany's former policy here to get rid of Muslim immigrants?

Old 11-12-2016, 08:11 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I think I remember reading that ~60 million people every year apply for immigration visas to the U.S. If let everyone in, our population would double in 5 years. The effects of that would include
  • Massive increase in traffic
  • Massive increase in housing prices
  • Arguably, massive increase in competition for jobs
  • Crowded parks, beaches, etc.

It would be very difficult to argue that we could double our population so quickly without our standard of living dropping.

I guess what the liberals think is that it's okay to sacrifice our standard of living at the alter of "diversity" or "inclusiveness"? Am I understanding that correctly?
No, as usual with your posts, you are not understanding it correctly.

Every liberal that I know would like to go back to the kind of immigration system that we once had where there were strict quotas.

But you already know that. All of your posts are designed to be divisive. It's a several-times-a-week phenomenon. And that makes it impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you. You are part of the problem of polarization in this country.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:12 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
What's so bad about the idea? I'm against liberalism in general, but the US is not overpopulated by any standard compared to other countries. A greater populations means a greater potential GDP, and immigrants generally work hard. I think the US can support a population of a billion people, at least.
Yeah, right, and there go all sorts of resources...like water in the western half of the country.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
According to you?
According the context of the entire history.

Quote:
Since uninvited immigrants from Europe (like George) took the land and systematically decimated them, or forcibly removed them, that would have been awkward.
They weren't uninvited by their government. The right of conquest was the recognized law for everyone worldwide at the time. It was a sparsely populated wilderness. If they fought, won and bought it, then they earned it.

Quote:
There wasn't? How did George's ancestors get here? Or his slaves? I guess some want to define "mass" as "lower than today's numbers", but as a percentage of the population, what was the immigrant share?

The history of immigration to the United States details the movement of people to the United States starting with the first European settlements from around 1600. Beginning around this time, British and other Europeans settled primarily on the East Coast. Later Africans were imported as slaves. The United States experienced successive waves of immigration, particularly from Europe. Immigrants sometimes paid the cost of transoceanic transportation by becoming indentured servants after their arrival in the New World.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...lation_in_1790
Only about 4 million or so immigrated during the entire 200 year colonial era and not that many prior per year to 1880. We've been allowing that many immigrants in every couple years not long after the 1960s. The point is they were most all from Western Europe culture up until much more recent. You liberals want to alter history to justify today's policies.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Would you go along with implementing Germany's former policy here to get rid of Muslim immigrants?
No I would go with America's immigration policy former to 1965 to restrict immigration. Or worse case scenario Spain's policy to finally evict Islam's menace in late 1400s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies