Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 11:24 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,379,398 times

Advertisements

Why is everything a federal issue to the Left? Police is a local issue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 11:29 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,478,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Why is the question just about blacks, what about asians and Latinos? Just being fair to other minorities, what about Jews or Muslims or even Gays?
Are you really comparing black issues to groups of people with no issues? Jews, Asians and Gays have it made in the shade. Latinos are just poor like blacks. They deal with poverty better than blacks.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:46 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,478,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
Its more of a fear I can agree with you but man either way trump is scary you telling me you aren't afraid of a president who says stuff like all brown people need to be sent back?

I agree its not the end of the world but do excuse my fear of trump its just sometimes when you see evil,call it out.
Tyrone! You are acting Gay and soft man. Stop making these threads man. You think I've never been harassed by police because I'm black? It's all a game of survival. The goal is to make it home. Stop being a weak liberal man. They are using you. They have been using blacks against the Right for far too long now man. Blacks need their own party and own direction! Not Right Not Left lets go UP! Don't let the liberal media fool you man. Your fears are misguided. I'm done

Old 11-13-2016, 02:27 AM

787 posts, read 962,524 times
You mean the guy thats gonna bring back Reagan's law and order, and might make racist Rudy Giuliani AG, its gonna get WAY worse, you think cops have no fear of consequences now, they are really gonna tee off hard in black communities now with no fear if Giuliani gets in office.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:51 AM

23,325 posts, read 43,787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
You mean the guy thats gonna bring back Reagan's law and order, and might make racist Rudy Giuliani AG, its gonna get WAY worse, you think cops have no fear of consequences now, they are really gonna tee off hard in black communities now with no fear if Giuliani gets in office.
Pretty empty rhetoric to those of us that remember a pre-Giuliani New York City.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:00 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,216,099 times
Cops need a better way to identify differences among black people. They need to be able to see that a particular black person is a good person who would never commit any crimes. They do profiling because they have no way to know. Profiling is based on statistics. What do they know about a person when they're faced with that person in an incident? All they know is he's black. They don't know who he is. It's only human nature for them to profile people using whatever information is immediately available. Being black is one factor, but being a 19-year-old male is probably a much bigger factor. Cops take into account that the average black person is 8 times more likely to be a criminal than the average white person. They take into account that the average 19-year-old male is N times more likely to kill a cop than the average 50-year-old female is. They make their decisions in fractions of a second, because, in confrontations, things happen fast. Profiling is a human instinct. We've been doing it for more than 100,000 years.

One possible solution in the near future might be a gadget, carried by cops, that would identify people's faces from a nationwide database. In a fraction of a second, the gadget could tell the cop who the person was and whether they were ever convicted of any violent crimes. Then cops could learn not to profile by race, but only by what the gadget told them. But it would be hard for them to learn, and would take a lot of training. You can't simply delete 100,000 years of instinct and replace it with a gadget and expect cops to always use it in every confrontation. Confrontations are stressful, and cops are only human. They will always make mistakes. But, the more training they get, the fewer mistakes they will make. And they need to be vetted a lot better. The people who hire them are often very incompetent at hiring people who would be good cops. They hire the bad cops because they can't tell the difference, because they don't have the competence to tell the difference, because the people who hire them are as incompetent as they are, and the people who hire those too.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 AM

31,994 posts, read 36,537,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Pretty empty rhetoric to those of us that remember a pre-Giuliani New York City.
Yep. Sort of reminds me of the way Bill Campbell and Shirley Franklin cleaned up the ATL.

I don't know what mayors were doing back in the 1990s and early 2000s but they sure put the quietus on crime.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:03 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,084,253 times
There is the way things SHOULD BE and THE WAY THEY ARE.

Nothing will change relationship wise between the cops and the black community. If I get pulled over and dont agree why, I SHOULD be able to ask the cop why or even say I disagree without fearing the cop screaming at me or demanding I get out the car for simply challenging their authority. BUT the way things are, is that I simply dont say much, just take the ticket and go on my way and fight it in court if I dont agree, but atleast im still alive to do so vs instigating drama with a armed authority that will shoot if they even think they are challenged or threatened.

3 out of every 10 cops are jerks and buttholes and so is 1 out of 10 people in the black community that the cops have to deal with, so I understand their mindset when they are dealing with rapist, armed robbers, drug dealers, gang bangers and abusive or dangerous people why they act a bit on egde when dealing with people.

In the end the police job is to enforce the law, NOT be the law, so 9 out of 10 times if you are not breaking any laws, the cops will not bother you.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:16 PM

23,325 posts, read 43,787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yep. Sort of reminds me of the way Bill Campbell and Shirley Franklin cleaned up the ATL.

I don't know what mayors were doing back in the 1990s and early 2000s but they sure put the quietus on crime.

What they were doing was tearing down housing projects and handing out vouchers to the suburbs. Pass the problem on to someone else.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:31 PM

787 posts, read 962,524 times
KING: How Trump is leading transformation to turn GOP into KKK - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: