Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:13 AM

983 posts, read 737,637 times

Advertisements

Going by the election the Democrats practically ignored all the rural people and got confident minorities/sjws/feminists and their ilk would be all that is needed to win, but obviously that wasn't the case.

I wonder though, do you think in general city people look down on rural people? Viewing them as dumb, racist, hillbillies, rednecks, etc.?

At no point did Hillary ever really even try to talk to the rural white people. Do liberals/democrats really feel that rural people should either be ignored or just move to the big city, go to a university like everyone else?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
I don't. But I do think they are somewhat isolated from people different from themselves so therefore they tend to carry more conservative attitudes towards social and political issues. This is a generalization of course but it is a trend I've noticed.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:18 AM

155 posts, read 101,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Going by the election the Democrats practically ignored all the rural people and got confident minorities/sjws/feminists and their ilk would be all that is needed to win, but obviously that wasn't the case.

I wonder though, do you think in general city people look down on rural people? Viewing them as dumb, racist, hillbillies, rednecks, etc.?

At no point did Hillary ever really even try to talk to the rural white people. Do liberals/democrats really feel that rural people should either be ignored or just move to the big city, go to a university like everyone else?
Yes, they do, and they always have and always will. The urban rural divide has existed throughout all of history, not just here in America. People who lived in Rome thought of themselves as superior to those who lived in the country. People who lived in Athens thought they were better than other Greeks...it's just how things are. When the first city in Mesopotamia was created, they probably thought of themselves as superior to the people who were still living off the land. Politics has always been associated most with cities because that's where most of the important decisions are made, where there's the most economic activity, etc.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:25 AM

79 posts, read 104,297 times
People who are urban live in a bubble. They don't know where there hamburger or kayal came from. It magically appears in the store at the corner. They are the idiots who live in a bubble provided by the outlying areas.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireking View Post
People who are urban live in a bubble. They don't know where there hamburger or kayal came from. It magically appears in the store at the corner. They are the idiots who live in a bubble provided by the outlying areas.
My goodness. Calm down. I could just as easily say rural people live in a bubble. They don't coexist with people different from themselves. They live in an echo chamber.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:38 AM

983 posts, read 737,637 times
What really got me is that minorities/LGBT/Women are the ONLY things liberals/democrats seem to give a damn about. If a white person (even white woman now I am sure) talks about how disadvantaged they are they are told to just suck it up or go get an education. I thought they were all about tolerance and helping ALL people? Yet the last several years white people have been told by liberals they are evil, wrong, cause all of the problems known to man and would be better if we didn't exist.

Truly amazing how hypocritical and short sighted they are.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:41 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireking View Post
So...in some cases, rural people look down on city people.

I live in a metro area. I know where hamburger comes from, and that's why I am a vegetarian. I have no idea what kayal is.

There is definitely a disparity in the way both think, and I do believe Trump won because he showed rural, middle-of-the-country Americans that he was listening to them, and Clinton did not.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:44 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,393 times
Yes they do. They have a completely different view of the world. They think driving trucks is stupid, because they pullute the air and there would be a lack of parking spaces. They think that people from the countryside are stupid just because they make their living with honest hard work. The fact is, many are as educated as city people, just in different professions, such as agricultural, industrial, oil industry, or whatever else. They think it is stupid to own a gun, just because they have never met a wild animal in their live and never thought about that it may take hours for the police to arrive at their house once called 911.

As much as I love cities such as Boston/NYC/SFO/Chicago/Seattle, please aknowledge that those urban communities are not the majority of America, it is just a niche-way of living and does not represent the daily reality of America.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:51 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't. But I do think they are somewhat isolated from people different from themselves so therefore they tend to carry more conservative attitudes towards social and political issues. This is a generalization of course but it is a trend I've noticed.
Are you talking about city folk or country folk?

If city folk are "more conservative" how come its the cities that vote progressive and the rural areas that vote conservative?

Or...by your post #5 were you being ironic?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:52 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Yes they do. They have a completely different view of the world. They think driving trucks is stupid, because they pullute the air and there would be a lack of parking spaces. They think that people from the countryside are stupid just because they make their living with honest hard work. The fact is, many are as educated as city people, just in different professions, such as agricultural, industrial, oil industry, or whatever else. They think it is stupid to own a gun, just because they have never met a wild animal in their live and never thought about that it may take hours for the police to arrive at their house once called 911.

As much as I love cities such as Boston/NYC/SFO/Chicago/Seattle, please aknowledge that those urban communities are not the majority of America, it is just a niche-way of living and does not represent the daily reality of America.
That's ridiculous. I'm sure some people think the way you describe, but otherwise, you are just generalizing. You demonstrate the whole damn problem--assigning characteristics to an entire group and proceeding to make up what "they" think and do.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-12-2016 at 06:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies