Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:10 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What is so wrong with stop and frisk? If it stops people from carrying drugs and illegal guns out of fear of being arrested if they do isn't that a good thing?

The Left thought they had it in the bag and they never factored in the Deplorables that turned out in force to make a stand against an anti American candidate.

I would like to think that our country is heading toward a place where breaking the law actually has consequences and where people are held responsible for their actions instead of passing the blame.
What's wrong with it is that criminals should be allowed to "express themselves." Criminals are people too. Their right to victimize others should not be infringed upon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 09:14 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
While I think you can say that about Trump's victory, I think that the Senate, House, governorship, and state legislature elections are close to a mandate.
The reality is that the Democratic party made headway in Congress, but continued to slip in governorships (now an astounding 34-15 2:1+ edge with North Carolina still pending) and slipped big in state legislatures. Democrats dropped one of their trifectas in Vermont and now only have full control in 6 states (maybe NC too though). Republicans lost Nevada, but picked up Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri, and New Hampshire (two of those being former Democratic trifecta states).
In the last 6 years, Iowa, Arkansas, Wisconsin, and New Hampshire all converted from Democratic trifecta states to Republican Trifecta states.
Republicans now control 33-16 house chambers and 35-14-1 senate chambers. Not only is this the highest composition of Republican chambers, house, and senates in history, but also just 6 years ago Democrats controlled near record numbers at 32-16-1 and 28-20-1.

Trump's win reflects a ground swell of party shift at local levels across the country more so than it reflects any electable qualities of Trump himself, and Republican legislators will take that as a mandate, especially at the state level.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:15 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It doesn't change the fact that he won, but let's not pretend that this means anything about what the where the country is, where our beliefs are, or what direction the country is headed.
Taken in context with Brexit, which it has to be, it certainly is a mandate for the West.

And where is the country?

And what are "our" beliefs? (I rightly calculate that we lost the "our" when the Left started the White privilege agitation and decided to burn down Ferguson, MO because a violent criminal who attacked a cop was shot - and then it later agitated toward and watched one of its members murder of five cops without making its movement flinch. So, keep your "our". It no longer exists).

And in what "direction" is this country headed?

Whatever your answers are, they are certainly less mandated now then the opposing view. Keep to your mantra, but repeating it to yourself won't make it true. You failed in the moral application of your agenda, and so the agenda failed. Live with it.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:01 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
What have you got to hide, big Ed?, Why are you worried about stop and frisk? The only way anyone would ever be stopped and frisked would be is you look like a low life criminal.
No one who is dressed and acting appropriately will ever be stopped for no reason.
You are so going to love president Trump...
So I take it you'd be okay with the Feds having a knock & check policy on all gun owners... Doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
What's wrong with it is that criminals should be allowed to "express themselves." Criminals are people too. Their right to victimize others should not be infringed upon.

Lol... now you choose to respond to my question about stop & frisk. You spent an entire thread ducking me and the question. When you're ready to have big boy conversations, you can let me know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Taken in context with Brexit, which it has to be, it certainly is a mandate for the West.

And where is the country?

And what are "our" beliefs? (I rightly calculate that we lost the "our" when the Left started the White privilege agitation and decided to burn down Ferguson, MO because a violent criminal who attacked a cop was shot - and then it later agitated toward and watched one of its members murder of five cops without making its movement flinch. So, keep your "our". It no longer exists).

And in what "direction" is this country headed?

Whatever your answers are, they are certainly less mandated now then the opposing view. Keep to your mantra, but repeating it to yourself won't make it true. You failed in the moral application of your agenda, and so the agenda failed. Live with it.
Trump had fewer raw votes than Romney, McCain, and GWB. Trump ran as Conservative a platform as any Republican since GHWB. This is as good a turnout as Republicans can expect. Even w/ Rubio, Cruz, or Rand Paul, you wouldn't have had a better turnout. Conservatives have a more devoted electorate, but your numbers are dwindling.

The Left's base just didn't turn out. They switch sides or pick another candidate. A different candidate would have had a different turnout. You can't say the same about Trump and Republicans.

Last edited by EddieB.Good; 11-13-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-13-2016, 10:19 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
While I think you can say that about Trump's victory, I think that the Senate, House, governorship, and state legislature elections are close to a mandate.
The reality is that the Democratic party made headway in Congress, but continued to slip in governorships (now an astounding 34-15 2:1+ edge with North Carolina still pending) and slipped big in state legislatures. Democrats dropped one of their trifectas in Vermont and now only have full control in 6 states (maybe NC too though). Republicans lost Nevada, but picked up Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri, and New Hampshire (two of those being former Democratic trifecta states).
In the last 6 years, Iowa, Arkansas, Wisconsin, and New Hampshire all converted from Democratic trifecta states to Republican Trifecta states.
Republicans now control 33-16 house chambers and 35-14-1 senate chambers. Not only is this the highest composition of Republican chambers, house, and senates in history, but also just 6 years ago Democrats controlled near record numbers at 32-16-1 and 28-20-1.

Trump's win reflects a ground swell of party shift at local levels across the country more so than it reflects any electable qualities of Trump himself, and Republican legislators will take that as a mandate, especially at the state level.
I think your argument stops at the governorship. Local legislatures and representatives reflect the views of the immediate population.

Once you get to the governorships, Senate races, and the presidency, the winners are a reflection of turnout.

If voting was mandatory in this country, you'd see more blue governors, Senators, and Presidents.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:22 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
If voting was mandatory in this country, you'd see more blue governors, Senators, and Presidents.
if voting were mandatory, we wouldn't have 20% of the country reading below 5th grade level.

We want politicians to act like adults when 1/5th of the voters can't read better than kids?

Old 11-13-2016, 10:25 AM

439 posts, read 357,490 times
Quote:
I don't care that Trump won. I'll be fine (unless he pushes nationwide stop & frisk) regardless of who the President is.

That said, Trump's win was not some mandate by voters against the Left or for the Right. A mandate require participation. Trump's win, if anything, was a meh-ndate. The Left's base didn't care enough to turn out. The Right had a lower turnout than when Romney, McCain, or GWB ran.

Yes, Trump won the vote, but it wasn't a platform that rallied new people to his or Conservative cause. It wasn't a platform that drew support from the masses. It wasn't even a platform that drew support from previous Republicans. But it did draw more support than Hillary's, so there's that.

It doesn't change the fact that he won, but let's not pretend that this means anything about what the where the country is, where our beliefs are, or what direction the country is headed.

Absolutely. There are 231 Million eligible voters, of which 59.9 voted Clinton and 59.7 for Trump. Roughly, 10 million voted for a third-party (or cast a blank ballot for president). However, the largest swath of the electorate, 100+Million people, completely abstained from voting in this election. I've said it before, that is the real story of this election...Not the 25% that voted for Trump, or the 25% that voted for Clinton. Nearly half of the electorate felt so divorced from the political system, they didn't vote for AT ALL. The media is paying attention to the happy-whooping of Trump supporters, or the angry protests of Clinton supporters. Meanwhile we, the people, watch and shrug.

If the powers that be keep ignoring reality, there won't be enough voters to fill a Walmart Grand Opening.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:49 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicaOnTheHudson View Post
Absolutely. There are 231 Million eligible voters, of which 59.9 voted Clinton and 59.7 for Trump. Roughly, 10 million voted for a third-party (or cast a blank ballot for president). However, the largest swath of the electorate, 100+Million people, completely abstained from voting in this election. I've said it before, that is the real story of this election...Not the 25% that voted for Trump, or the 25% that voted for Clinton. Nearly half of the electorate felt so divorced from the political system, they didn't vote for AT ALL. The media is paying attention to the happy-whooping of Trump supporters, or the angry protests of Clinton supporters. Meanwhile we, the people, watch and shrug.

If the powers that be keep ignoring reality, there won't be enough voters to fill a Walmart Grand Opening.

I would like to see percentages of who voted in the battleground states versus who voted in the safe states. Living in Texas I have no real need to vote in the Presidential election. I knew Trump had Texas.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:02 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
I don't care that Trump won. I'll be fine (unless he pushes nationwide stop & frisk) regardless of who the President is.

That said, Trump's win was not some mandate by voters against the Left or for the Right. A mandate require participation. Trump's win, if anything, was a meh-ndate. The Left's base didn't care enough to turn out. The Right had a lower turnout than when Romney, McCain, or GWB ran.

Yes, Trump won the vote, but it wasn't a platform that rallied new people to his or Conservative cause. It wasn't a platform that drew support from the masses. It wasn't even a platform that drew support from previous Republicans. But it did draw more support than Hillary's, so there's that.

Eddie,
As a Good person, let me ask:
What do you really want? Do you have a question?

Old 11-13-2016, 11:03 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:

" Let's be clear -- Trump's win wasn't a mandate"

Let's be clear, Tump's win IS a mandate.

Obama campaigned for Hillary and sated "This election IS about our policies his"

The people have spoken and they do NOT like his policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies