Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 04:53 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
not that it is relevant to this thread but the refrigerant used in modern cars in r-134a. If you're putting in your car r-1234 (whatever that is), that could be a problem.

More to the point, who artificially raised gas prices to $4 a gallon? And what makes a fuel-efficient car "undrivable."

well, you can lift fuel efficiency standards on us automakers. And when someone buying a car wants something fuel efficient, he or she will look to honda or toyota. We've been down this road before.

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 04:55 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Here's a fact, your posts often are not useful and annoying .
So you were just venting your feelings. I thought so.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:57 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Not that it is relevant to this thread but the refrigerant used in modern cars in R-134A. If you're putting in your car R-1234 (whatever that is), that could be a problem.

More to the point, who artificially raised gas prices to $4 a gallon? And what makes a fuel-efficient car "undrivable."

Well, you can lift fuel efficiency standards on US automakers. And when someone buying a car wants something fuel efficient, he or she will look to Honda or Toyota. We've been down this road before.
You are incorrect. R-12 the best was replaced 20 years ago by somewhat crappy R-134a by mandate which is being replaced albeit slower than a global mandate by much crappier R-1234yf and tax credits are given for it. Why just say things that are patently untrue? Waste of time.

The relevancy is regulations, taxes and globally manipulating the market.

Last edited by mtl1; 11-13-2016 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 04:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Car manufacturers are asking President-elect Donald Trump to roll back fuel efficiency standards Obama mandated.

I see a deal. Trump agrees to this if they bring their car manufacturing back to the US. Is that logical from a financial standpoint? Would the automakers get enough savings out of the rollback for the deal to be feasible to them?

I also thought of something else. Why not tie the lowering of business taxes to businesses bringing jobs back from overseas? In other words, no tax decrease for your business/corporation unless your plants/factories come back to the US. Could he do that?

You mean the golden days of the HOTROD are going to make a little comeback?

Count me in!!

Old 11-13-2016, 05:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Count me in!!
We're even bringing back cheap high octane leaded gas, baby . Kidding.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:15 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Both my husband and I have Japanese cars because we prefer them. Imported? No, I believe that while the corporation is in Japan, they are actually manufactured in the US employing US workers. And?

Old 11-13-2016, 05:19 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Car manufacturing "hasn't left the US" it's just more spread out to different states rather than concentrated in Detroit.

Why is the fedguv dictating fuel mpg, fuel type and emissions to begin with? That should all be stopped.
We really have a government car right now with all the mandates and all those mandates require expensive R&D.

As an aside there is a huge auto finance bubble waiting to burst.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
He's not going to mandate businesses to do anything, he's going to make it more cost beneficial for companies to do business in America, there's a reason so many brilliant companies are making products in different countries, he's gotta make it so they get more benefit out of staying. He's not going to give ultimatums, he will just make America more attractive for companies to want to manufacture products here, some will take advantage of that, some will not.
You assume that companies want to limit their business to the 5 % of the world's population.

Big time US manufacturers cannot survive by limiting the sale of their products to just 5 % of the world's population. It has made more sense for US manufacturers to operate plants in strategic locations throughout the world to avoid the international tariffs. Why would someone pay a substantial premium ( tariff) to import a Made in the USA product instead of buying the same product manufactured locally with no tariff?

Ford has had operations in Mexico and Europe for almost 100 years. European automakers have had operations in Mexico almost as long.

Boeing's future is dependent upon the pipeline of business from China. Tariffs are Bilateral. Slap a tariff on toasters from Chins, it comes back and bites the US because there is global competition.

The US has been challenged by global competition for more than 50 years.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:25 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Count me in!!
Me too .

Old 11-14-2016, 05:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
He's not going to mandate businesses to do anything, he's going to make it more cost beneficial for companies to do business in America, there's a reason so many brilliant companies are making products in different countries, he's gotta make it so they get more benefit out of staying. He's not going to give ultimatums, he will just make America more attractive for companies to want to manufacture products here, some will take advantage of that, some will not.
I understand that. The problem with me is that I don't know the industry to know whether those 2 ideas I put forth are cost beneficia/appealing enough to make auto manufacturing come back. I don't know if the tax break is better for automakers than the cheap cost of doing business in Mexico. I don't know if the discontinuance of mileage standards is more alluring from a monetary perspective enough to make automakers come back. That's why I posed them as questions. Wasn't trying to be provocative. I truly don't know and was hoping you guys could tell me.

I appreciate the answers so far.

Last edited by LauraC; 11-14-2016 at 05:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies