Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useyourbrain1 View Post
Sorry but that isn't the deal we made. I've been paying medicare under the assumption that I will get medicare at the agreed age. This sets the precedent to push the age to any arbitrary number. Perhaps 100 years old for me when I am eligible huh?
More like 67. And you won't be better off if the system goes broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:32 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
What will happen to SS and Medicare? Probably nothing, despite the desires of the far-right.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Paul Ryan has had some ideas to drastically change both. Do you like Ryan's ideas? Will his ideas be implemented?

Forbes Welcome

Ryan's full plan: https://abetterway.speaker.gov/_asse...olicyPaper.pdf

it just extends the silliness. SS should maintain a workers to retire ratio where the retirement age floats with it. If you are a generation that kills all yer kids and hang at night clubs at 45 , then probably the retirement age is never. If you allow yer da gubemrnt to spent a trillion on regime change, then there will not so many old people's homes around. If everyone is having 8 kids and we are importing 3rd world idiot religious nuts, the hope is that you die soon because there just isn't enough resources.

Now if people would stick to 2 kids and have a little healthy immigration , then we could simply set a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 worker to retiree ratio and the age would be set automatically. No need to save for it either. It can be straight pay as you go. The lock box is a riotous joke.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:05 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Think Social Security should be turned into a Government 403B where the Government matches 2% of what we put in. Everyone 35 and under will lose Social Security.

Medicare should become universal health care for those 65 and older.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:09 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
The only things we should increase spending on are killing people and fortifying our borders, I hear. Everything else is unconstitutional.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Life expectancy is increasing. So raising the eligibility age for medicare and social security makes good sense. Ryan is on the right track here.
Absolutely, and if they did an amendment, it wouldn't take effect for probably 10 years. Plenty of time to prepare.

I can't believe morons are still hanging on to the image of Ryan pushing his wheel-chair bound grandma off a cliff.

Come to think of it, I can't believe morons believe a single thing that comes from anything on the D side, especially a political ad.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:15 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Never forget that Bush and Friends went all over the country touting "privatizing" Social Security after he was reelected in 2004. That was the closest I've ever seen that program come to being irreparably harmed in my lifetime. SS would have gone up in smoke in 2008 had the neoconservatives gotten their way.

This program will always be under assault by Republican lawmakers, who look at it as a revenue stream they want to tap into for their own personal gain. I only hope there are a small minority of thinking Republicans out there who will join Democrats in keeping the wolves at bay.

If the neocons had been successful it would have probably survived for another 3-4 years.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:20 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Absolutely, and if they did an amendment, it wouldn't take effect for probably 10 years. Plenty of time to prepare.

I can't believe morons are still hanging on to the image of Ryan pushing his wheel-chair bound grandma off a cliff.

Come to think of it, I can't believe morons believe a single thing that comes from anything on the D side, especially a political ad.
Yeah, run with that. Romney and Ryan were so successful in 2012.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:21 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Never forget that Bush and Friends went all over the country touting "privatizing" Social Security after he was reelected in 2004. That was the closest I've ever seen that program come to being irreparably harmed in my lifetime. SS would have gone up in smoke in 2008 had the neoconservatives gotten their way.

This program will always be under assault by Republican lawmakers, who look at it as a revenue stream they want to tap into for their own personal gain. I only hope there are a small minority of thinking Republicans out there who will join Democrats in keeping the wolves at bay.

If the neocons had been successful it would have probably survived for another 3-4 years.
It would not have merely gone up in smoke. it would have been yet another massive wealth transfer to wall street. Everyone who is sitting on stock now would become filthy rich. I would be one of those Trump supports who would violently opposed to such an idea.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:22 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
How many times did Trump have to say, he's not touching either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies