Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How does it explain why Obama won twice?
It doesn't. I'm convinced I need to find a new forum.

It seems like 75% of this forum is right wing talk radio listeners who are completely myopic and have no interest in rational discourse, the other 20% are left wingers with the same myopia, and the other 5% are people of various ideaologies who are actually worth communicating with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 01:42 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Could it be Hilary instead? I talked with my family and Friends and some voted for Johnson and others voted for Trump. Why? Hilary.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Incorrect, of course. According to the DATA, President-Elect Trump won less whites than Mitt, more women, hispanics, young and black votes than Mitt. AND, he won voters in the rust-belt states (MI,PA,OH,WI) that voted for obama twice. Evangelicals did get the vote out and he won those voters by a wide margin.
According to what I saw, the Evangelical margin was pretty standard, and for the reasons I already explained.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:43 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It doesn't. I'm convinced I need to find a new forum.

It seems like 75% of this forum is right wing talk radio listeners who are completely myopic and have no interest in rational discourse, the other 20% are left wingers with the same myopia, and the other 5% are people of various ideaologies who are actually worth communicating with.
Pretty much, yes.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Could it be Hilary instead? I talked with my family and Friends and some voted for Johnson and others voted for Trump. Why? Hilary.

She was wildly unpopular and/or generated no enthusiasm from the base of people who voted for Obama, and elections hinged on:

PA: Clinton -75K
WI: Clinton -30K
MI:Clinton -11K
Total: Clinton -116K

Total electoral votes for Clinton if she had won those states: 274

Popular vote nationwide : Clinton+668K as of today.

The amount of hyperbole being generated on both sides in light of these numbers is, to sound like an elitist, intellectually embarrassing.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
his flaws-- are to play the game where it benefits him--- watch
Trump is highly competitive person, he wants to win at everything he does and be considered the best. At his age and status what bigger win can he have than leaving a legacy of being a great President?

Old 11-14-2016, 01:54 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Christians used to vote for Dems based on the teachings of Jesus about helping the poor, sick, and feeding the hungry, but then the abortion issue was inserted and hijacked by Republicans. Since the 1980s the decision for Christians has been very simple: vote Republicans because Dems are pro-choice and for gay marriage. These elections were more complicated, because Christians had to decide if it was ok to vote for someone like Trump, who brags about molesting women, uses profanity and talks about punching people in the face etc. I would not be surprised if many Christians skipped the elections.

I don't think there was ever a danger of Christian vote going back to Dems. I do not see that happening any time soon since they have chosen to embrace and defend abortion and gay marriage.
I didn't see anything indicating that the original post was limited to Trump vs. Clinton. I get that the Christian right (and specifically right) was not going to vote for a Democrat. The question was why Trump.

BTW, not all Christians are right wing. I'm not.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:58 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Trump won because people are sick of the liberals. Period.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Most Red States Take More Money From Washington Than They Put In | Mother Jones

States receiving the most federal funding per tax dollar paid:
1. New Mexico: $2.63
2. West Virginia: $2.57
3. Mississippi: $2.47
4. District of Colombia: $2.41
5. Hawaii: $2.38
6. Alabama: $2.03
7. Alaska: $1.93
8. Montana: $1.92
9. South Carolina: $1.92
10. Maine: $1.78
It's no secret: The federal budget is expanding faster than tax revenues, a trend that's been fueled by the rapid growth of entitlement programs

Politically "red" states are financially in the red when it comes to how much money they receive from Washington compared with what their residents pay in taxes.
This is BS, you see NM at the top of the list which leans Democrat? The reason for that is they have low population and a huge amount of federal facilities. Sandia National laboratory by itself adds about $1200 per capita in federal tax dollars. While the local NM economy benefits from that facility the primary beneficiary is everyone in the country. That's not welfare, no matter where that facility is located the primary beneficiary does not change. Trying to use raw numbers like that to make any kind of point is just stupidity.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:59 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Conservatives, while under Bush, also sent millions of jobs overseas. After all, conservatives successfully opposed the bill that would deny companies tax deductions for the expense of sending their jobs overseas.
And in 2008/2012, conservative voters made it clear that they weren't happy with that by voting for Obama and his "Hope and Change". However, after 8 years of waiting, the people decided that they didn't want to double down on Obama's policies by putting Hillary in the White House. Anyone who thinks that either party has a lock on votes needs to get their head out of the sand. If nothing else, this election proved that just because you expect to get the votes needed in a certain state, doesn't mean you actually will get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies