Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 06:00 AM

57,276 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
all of them need to divest, right? can these billionaires in the cabinet continue to hold stock in corporations as they do (ie Rex's stock in Exxon/Mobil).....and that Trump campaign promise that when officials leave the government, they will be banned from being a lobbyist for five years as part of the agreement. The ban will apply lifetime to representing foreign governments......we'll see if it's just another campaign promise that he passed along to get votes.
Rex isn't the problem, he will be required to divest his shares in Exxon but not sure about the other cabinet members like Rick Perry. Trump is another story, he will have a big conflict with all his real estate and other holdings.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:11 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
all of them need to divest, right? can these billionaires in the cabinet continue to hold stock in corporations as they do (ie Rex's stock in Exxon/Mobil).....and that Trump campaign promise that when officials leave the government, they will be banned from being a lobbyist for five years as part of the agreement. The ban will apply lifetime to representing foreign governments......we'll see if it's just another campaign promise that he passed along to get votes.
Does "divest" laws cover members of Congress also?

I don't know.

If it does , I wonder if pelosi has divested herself from he husband's business? And Feinestein etc.?

If it applies to some politicals, it SHOULD apply to all.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:13 AM

57,276 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Previous DOE Secretaries had degrees in physics, I believe.

Meanwhile, all Perry had to do is start wearing glasses.

Trump: Rick Perry wears glasses to seem smart - CNN Video

Yes the prior energy secretary was Ernest Moniz, Phd from Stanford in Nuclear Physics and had a position at MIT, Helped assist with the nuclear deal with Iran. He succeeded Steve Chu also a Phd in Physics, and now Perry with a BS in Animal science who is a climate denier.

Maybe you don't need a scientific degree but the minimum requirement should be to actually believe in science.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:37 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Perry will have his list of the self-appointed Government activists on his desk on day one. A housecleaning is coming.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:39 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Does "divest" laws cover members of Congress also?

I don't know.

If it does , I wonder if pelosi has divested herself from he husband's business? And Feinestein etc.?

If it applies to some politicals, it SHOULD apply to all.
Members of Congress has certainly not divested a red cent... Maybe it should apply to ALL government employees as well... conflict of interest and such... I would love to throw out every single government employee out of the stock market... US bonds and treasuries for you!

Old 12-14-2016, 06:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Keep draining that swamp? Amirite?

Or dredging to make it roomier?

Old 12-14-2016, 09:13 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My whole town revolves around the Department of Energy. We even have a museum dedicated to energy. Besides, the government, the town is also full of contractors related to the energy industry.
exactly, as do a number of other Cities in the US..but even more amazing is for the poster to advocate eliminating an agency that is responsible for ensuring the integrity and safety of the nation’s nuclear weapons, advancing nuclear nonproliferation and promoting international nuclear safety. (and to be honest I am not sure how we could turn a mission like that over to a private firm, or why we would want to)

Old 12-14-2016, 09:21 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Air quality was never an issue and we never had energy intensive industries. I realize that may sound counter intuitive given the fact this area is known for coal production but perhaps you should understand what you're talking about before running you mouth. Anthracite's primary use is and always has been residential heating, it's not suitable as industrial fuel for heat because of it's cost. Other uses include water filtration <gasp> and industrial processes like coking.
I was thinking of places like the Lehigh Valley and Bethlehem Steel. Or is that considered SE PA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
While on the topic I'll be happy to direct you to your nearest Northeastern Pennsylvanian coal dealer in upstate New York. Then you can head over to your nearest coal stove shop to pick up one of those fine NEPA products.
Some of my co-workers have coal stoves, yes.

Maybe after we burn up all of the natural gas in power plants, I'll have to use anthracite coal to heat my house.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
exactly, as do a number of other Cities in the US..but even more amazing is for the poster to advocate eliminating an agency that is responsible for ensuring the integrity and safety of the nation’s nuclear weapons, advancing nuclear nonproliferation and promoting international nuclear safety. (and to be honest I am not sure how we could turn a mission like that over to a private firm, or why we would want to)
What is the IAEA for? Why are we paying $49+ million when the DOE is doing the same job...

Old 12-14-2016, 09:55 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Donald Trump has chosen Ryan Zinke, the Montana Representative to the US House as his nominee for Secretary of the Interior -- looks like another well qualified pick.

Everything You Need to Know About Donald Trump's Interior Secretary Pick, Ryan Zinke |ABC News - 12/14/16

I look forward to hear what the Leftists find "outrageous" about Ryan Zinke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies