Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Is anyone else watching Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing? I think he's doing well considering the smear campaign aimed at him.
I have it on minimize while I work... the constant "protestors" screaming in the background is annoying. Liberals sure love their right to whine, complain and disrupt..

Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeas, his brother who was an A-T-T-O-R-N-E-Y as A-T-T-O-R-N-E-Y General.

So, the equivalent for Jared would be what? Investor General?
and they made a law to STOP THAT - remember?

Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
There is something unethical about having a trusted family member as one of your advisors? Why?

because they can know stuff that could impact heir monetary interests-- also why not just hire all the kids to run everything in the cabinet? a true dynasty yey the Brits are back -- NO

Old 01-10-2017, 11:27 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Trump is turning into exactly the kind of president Berlusconi and Mussolini would approve of. Trump clearly seems to believe he can pull off some type of "Trumpolini" stunt in America like those guys did in Italy. I believe the American people will see right through this with time and he's underestimating the American people's belief in playing by the rules.
I agree the American people would benefit by keeping a wary eye on their preferred form of government. Although, to be fair, the desire to expand the reach & power of the Executive Branch doesn't begin with President-elect Trump:

Quote:
Q:
What were the founding fathers really aiming for when they sat down in 1787 to write the American Constitution?

A:. POSNER: It boiled down to one thing, which is: we want a powerful government that will protect us and allow commerce to flourish. But we don’t want a government that becomes so powerful that it would abuse its power and interfere with our liberties. ...
Has the U.S. Presidency Become a Dictatorship? - Freakonomics Freakonomics

We've come a long way since & gradually each of our Presidents have, more or less, sought to increase their powers, these powers are then 'inherited' by the next & so on.

There are more than a few Countries, especially in the 20th Century, & particularly in Latin America, which either began similarly or sought to imitate our form of government. The way in which some 'solved' the resulting gridlock & inertia of the 3 branched government was that the President or Executive or Administative Ruler declared himself the only Ruler, & declared intention to rule by 'diktat'.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:27 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Is anyone else watching Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing? I think he's doing well considering the smear campaign aimed at him.

Al Franken, who is not a lawyer and has no clue about how cases are managed, is showing how stupid he actually is. Why is he allowed to even ask questions if he does not understand the answers??? When Jeff Sessions was practicing law and prosecuting the KKK, Al Franken was walking around on SNL with a satellite dish on his head.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As often the case with megalomania at the heart of things you have a very insecure person. They surround themselves with those they can control and or who will agree with them, but more importantly is the need to be "loved" and "stroked". Such persons often live in fear of being found out they are frauds.

Having grown up in New York and thus (unfortunately) far to familiar with hearing about DT's escapades both personal and business, IMHO the guy truly fits the bill of "all mouth and trousers".

Yes, Trump has had some success and built upon the legacy left to him by the father, but much of the rest is simply bluster and bravado. Many of the real "one percent" of New York find the guy gauche, louche and morally suspect in both is personal and business life. They'll do business with DT when it suits their needs, but am guessing like the rest of us more than a few find him to be joke.

But this, this is another matter. As leader of the greatest nation on Earth and major superpower DT has entered a whole new game. Worse his personality is not one to suffer criticism lightly, but having made so many promises he now must find a way to keep at least some of them long enough before the mask slips.
As someone who also grew up in NYC and heard/read about Trump's exploits since he got himself in the papers, I've often wondered if the marriage between Ivanka and Jared was some sort of business deal.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he married her off in return for capital to prop up his own businesses.

Now Jared gets his reward.

And the Trumpettes will spin it as if their lived depended on it.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,840 times
My theory, without getting into a partisan debate, is that JK is (unofficially) going into a Vice Presidential type of role. I say this because I believe that just as Pence is the one going to the daily security briefings, Pence will be acting as President behind the scenes. Trump will be a figurehead and spend his time holding rallies, tweeting, etc., rather than doing any actual governing. I just don't think he's up to the task of being POTUS. For him, it's all about the crowds and his fans. Since Pence will be performing so many of the duties of POTUS, someone is needed to cover behind the scenes VP duties.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
He has no experience in foreign policy matters. Just like every person Trump has picked so far.

Half of his appointments are natural conflicts of interest, while the other half are getting jobs because they're his relatives.

I wonder what all the people who claim they supported Trump because they were "tired of political dynasties" are thinking now.
They are all too busy forgetting how "outraged" they were by Obama's "Czars."

Old 01-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
My theory, without getting into a partisan debate, is that JK is (unofficially) going into a Vice Presidential type of role. I say this because I believe that just as Pence is the one going to the daily security briefings, Pence will be acting as President behind the scenes. Trump will be a figurehead and spend his time holding rallies, tweeting, etc., rather than doing any actual governing. I just don't think he's up to the task of being POTUS. For him, it's all about the crowds and his fans. Since Pence will be performing so many of the duties of POTUS, someone is needed to cover behind the scenes VP duties.
Very likely scenario.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No wonder GOP wanted to kill the ethics office. They are also not allowing time to vet the nominees, they just want to cram them down our throats.
President John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert Kennedy as Attorney General. Nepotism much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies