Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 05:32 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,443,874 times

Advertisements

You know how wingnuts are always quoting Saul Alinsky? It was either Faux News or Glenn Beck, I believe, who all of a sudden put this obscure person in every wingnuts vocabulary, and we heard about this guy for years when Pres. Obama was President. Connection between the two: Completely imaginary.

Now we have some guy no one ever heard of (I doubt loyal Breitbart readers even knew who Bannon was) and he comes out and speaks admiringly of Lenin, even going as far as saying he wants to emulate him and his policies and destroy the U.S. government.

Can you even imagine this coming from the righthand man of a Democratic President? I mean, we are genuinely living in an alternative universe, where it is standard operating procedure to abide by alternative facts. I have yet to read Orwell, and I am long overdue.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:53 AM

51,584 posts, read 25,589,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You know how wingnuts are always quoting Saul Alinsky? It was either Faux News or Glenn Beck, I believe, who all of a sudden put this obscure person in every wingnuts vocabulary, and we heard about this guy for years when Pres. Obama was President. Connection between the two: Completely imaginary.

Now we have some guy no one ever heard of (I doubt loyal Breitbart readers even knew who Bannon was) and he comes out and speaks admiringly of Lenin, even going as far as saying he wants to emulate him and his policies and destroy the U.S. government.

Can you even imagine this coming from the righthand man of a Democratic President? I mean, we are genuinely living in an alternative universe, where it is standard operating procedure to abide by alternative facts. I have yet to read Orwell, and I am long overdue.
May want to put off reading Orwell's 1984. As I recall, things did not turn out well in the end.

But you are right. If Axelrod had been spouting stuff from Lenin, folks would have been having heart attacks, left and right.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-03-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 06:09 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,886,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

I get what you're saying here, it's disheartening.

I admire & very much appreciate Mr. Orwell's writings. If you want to start with some of his essays rather than his longer writings & novels, I recommend 'Politics & the English Language'. It's a 'primer' so to speak, where he considers "language as an instrument for expressing and not for concealing or preventing thought." It's simply brilliant imho.

Quote:
But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought. A bad usage can spread by tradition and imitation even among people who should and do know better.

...In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defence of the indefensible. Things like the continuance of British rule in India, the Russian purges and deportations, the dropping of the atom bombs on Japan, can indeed be defended, but only by arguments which are too brutal for most people to face, and which do not square with the professed aims of the political parties. Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness. ...
George Orwell: Politics and the English Language

Old 02-03-2017, 08:01 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,778,420 times
Devos is having her confirmation TODAY... too bad FAKE NEWS couldn't derail her confirmation...

Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,778,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
May want to put off reading Orwell's 1984. As I recall, things did not turn out well in the end.

But you are right. If Axelrod had been spouting stuff from Lenin, folks would have been having heart attacks, left and right.
I love people who confuse FICTION with reality... the anti-Trumpers and their Russian boogeyman...

Old 02-03-2017, 08:23 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I suspect the same thing. When private school tuition is $25K/year give or take and charter schools can be hit or miss, many parents will likely decide that homeschooling is the smarter choice. At least until the feathers settle and they can see what's what.

We have relatives and neighbors who homeschool their kids and they are all doing well. One is graduating from a military academy in May, others are computer engineers, medical professionals, several are in graduate programs.

The younger ones are bright, happy kids who seem to always be involved in starting small businesses of one sort or another.

I feel for the kids left behind in public schools which will likely become the "dumping ground" for the most difficult to educate children.

But I think the homeschooled kids will do okay.
I think that the new homeschooling wave that may erupt will see kids struggling. Because, right now, people choose to homeschool because they want to and can afford it. Can you see people who really have no business homeschooling turning to that option if public schools become really awful? I can.

That is worrisome.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It makes me sad that she's going to wreck public schools"

Right! You have such an exemplary record on "predicting" things!
Uhhh... what? I predicted that Trump might win and I predicted that he'd keep right on tweeting and acting like an idiot.

So far, so good.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't care what anti-Trumper parents do with their kids... I am putting my kid in the best of the schools, sucks to be you anti-Trumpers but then you were never that bright...
Donald? Is that you?

Old 02-03-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Rex Tillerson would make a far better president than the one we've got now.
Yep. That's true of so many people, though, isn't it?

We are at the point of very minimal requirements to top what we've got slouching around the Oval Office right now.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 AM

51,584 posts, read 25,589,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think that the new homeschooling wave that may erupt will see kids struggling. Because, right now, people choose to homeschool because they want to and can afford it. Can you see people who really have no business homeschooling turning to that option if public schools become really awful? I can.

That is worrisome.
I agree this is cause for worry.

There are a lot of people who shouldn't even have kids who will see that $5K (or whatever) as a good deal.

But kids underfoot all day are a lot of trouble, so who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies