Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 08:35 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
She will be voted through and that's a good thing. Charter schools will give black students more options. I can't believe the teacher's unions are so self serving, shame on them.

The women can't spell her own name,NO.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:43 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And the award for dumbest administration in US history goes to...
Instead of wandering the countryside on his Victory Tour, looks like Trump might have been better off if he had stayed closer to home, vetted cabinet members, found dependable staff who would not rat him out on a regular basis, and figured out where the light switches were.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-07-2017 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 AM

435 posts, read 430,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I am sorry, what is not fair about paying for ones child to get a good education through school tax?? Do you think that one towns school tax should go to pay for other towns schools? Not happening. Sorry, not sorry. My husband and I could have afforded a wonderful "dream" home in neighboring towns but instead chose a "starter" home in our current town due to the schools. Sacrifice for our childrens education. Our public school a few years ago spent $25,271 per student, did I complain when I heard of another public school who had $130,832 per student?? NO.. They probably pay ALOT more in school tax.
Again, PARENT INVOLVMENT is huge. I have friends who work in the NYC public school system. The teachers have NO SUPPORT from most parents. A lot of kids miss more school than attend. Parents do not seem to get involved. No amount of money is going to fix that.
I think it is fair to expect the public to pay for public education. What is currently happening in places like IL is that the rich people separate themselves from the poor people and fund their local public schools very well. Meanwhile, the poor people (who don't even have the option of buying a small house in a wealthy area) are left paying a much larger percentage of their income to fund their schools.

I applaud your decision to buy a smaller house in a wealthy neighborhood, just remember poor people do not have that option.

As the country continues to stratify into the haves/have-nots (the middle-class is hollowing out) the implications of funding schools primarily by local property taxes will result in less and less social mobility and more unequal outcomes.

I feel that whether a kid is born poor or rich he/she should be given some chance and I am happy to pay taxes for all kids to that end.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 AM

57,230 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I am sorry, what is not fair about paying for ones child to get a good education through school tax?? Do you think that one towns school tax should go to pay for other towns schools? Not happening. Sorry, not sorry. My husband and I could have afforded a wonderful "dream" home in neighboring towns but instead chose a "starter" home in our current town due to the schools. Sacrifice for our childrens education. Our public school a few years ago spent $25,271 per student, did I complain when I heard of another public school who had $130,832 per student?? NO.. They probably pay ALOT more in school tax.
Again, PARENT INVOLVMENT is huge. I have friends who work in the NYC public school system. The teachers have NO SUPPORT from most parents. A lot of kids miss more school than attend. Parents do not seem to get involved. No amount of money is going to fix that.
The difference in wealth does create a disparity in many communities that are funded through the real estate tax, some states attempt to make up the difference but there remains an inequity. Why should someone that lives in a poorer district have less of an opportunity.

Yes there is poor parent involvement in many of these failing schools, that is a separate issue. But I just don't see vouchers as a universal solution, many of these private schools will cost considerably more than a voucher.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
RW seem big on "kicking over the table," and burning the joint to the ground.

Unless you have a plan on where to go from there, you are no different that the anarchists who ever the WTO in Seattle or busted windows and set garbage cans on fire recently in Washington DC.

Yeah... nice try... not really...

Your solution is a continued slow death in our education system and continued success of the unions - which is not a solution.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The difference in wealth does create a disparity in many communities that are funded through the real estate tax, some states attempt to make up the difference but there remains an inequity. Why should someone that lives in a poorer district have less of an opportunity.

Yes there is poor parent involvement in many of these failing schools, that is a separate issue. But I just don't see vouchers as a universal solution, many of these private schools will cost considerably more than a voucher.
Fly-by-night schools with spring up in church basements and empty malls. 20 students times $5K vouchers works if the kids are not too difficult to educate.

The problem kids will be land back in public schools.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:54 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I think it is fair to expect the public to pay for public education. What is currently happening in places like IL is that the rich people separate themselves from the poor people and fund their local public schools very well. Meanwhile, the poor people (who don't even have the option of buying a small house in a wealthy area) are left paying a much larger percentage of their income to fund their schools.

I applaud your decision to buy a smaller house in a wealthy neighborhood, just remember poor people do not have that option.

As the country continues to stratify into the haves/have-nots (the middle-class is hollowing out) the implications of funding schools primarily by local property taxes will result in less and less social mobility and more unequal outcomes.

I feel that whether a kid is born poor or rich he/she should be given some chance and I am happy to pay taxes for all kids to that end.
From what I understood from our Superintendent, is that our school district does not receive state funding (or very little) due to our budget.. so schools in poorer neighborhoods get state funding (and federal??)..
Also, I am happy for some of my FEDERAL tax or STATE tax to go to others education. I am not, however, ok with my school tax going to any school other than my own.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:58 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

I said I was find with Federal or State tax going to education. However, each towns school tax should be specifically for that school.

It may be separate issue but it is a major issue. You can throw millions or billions of dollars at a problem but if you do not address the root of the problem the money is wasted. Parents need to get involved, period. Parents need to stop blaming schools and take responsibility for their children. Parents need to stop taking kids out of school for a month at a time and expect them to keep up..

Old 02-07-2017, 08:58 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The women can't spell her own name,NO.
You didn't seem to be bothered that Maxine Waters thinks there is a country called Korea and that Putin invaded it. LOL

Old 02-07-2017, 09:03 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
To the teachers unions and parents with their children in poor schools who are against school vouchers...Like Dr Phil always says, "how's that working for you?"

I know nothing about this woman, but I do know, for sure, that parents should be free to seek the best education for their children. Rich people already can do this. Vouchers help the poor and middl class. How do the democrats, who profess to help the common man, justify their position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies