Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 PM

58,684 posts, read 27,030,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Well..people see what they want to see..for sure. I'l try just once...
1) These 'accusations' were made by Republicans--during Sessions failed confirmation hearings..not Progressives...not Liberals. He admitted to some of the statements. Others he said were out of context..or..misinterpreted.
2) I..don't have anything at all..accusations or other...I, just provided some links..that it seems you didn't read all that closely..
3) He is not being attacked..his past positions are being questioned...there is a difference.
4) When a person in a trusted position says something like "I thought the KKK was alright, until I learned they smoked marijuana." it lends itself to an unsavory interpretation. He acknowledged the statement..denied it was racist. People are free to draw their own conclusions.
5) When a person in public office claims that the NAACP is a communist front--again, people are free to draw their own conclusions. Again, he does not deny making the statement..and in fact, still stands by it.
6) It appears to me that you are failing to distinguish between lies and interpretations.

If the standard you wish is basically Sessions using the N-word..on tape..with witnesses...repeatedly...than I guess you and I are going to disagree on what constitutes proper 'proof'.

I fail to see where the election enters into this at all..election is over. Time to move on.

These are not new allegations...but old..substantiated...facts--what is in dispute is the context..and the interpretation--it was deemed enough for Sessions Republican colleagues to deny him a Federal Judgeship--it remains to be seen how it plays in 2017.
".but old..substantiated...facts-"

From 38 YEARS AGO!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:56 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,434,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
".but old..substantiated...facts-"

From 38 YEARS AGO!
True...and a good point---has his statements, positions, and public stands shown him to be a better man? Has he changed his views..if in fact they were racist to begin with?

In truth, I'm more concerned about whether he is able to enforce the laws of the United States with an even-handed impartiality--drawing no pre-set conclusions until he has all the facts.
...or will he be a Political axe-grinder---using the office to deprive people of their Rights.
For example, how will the Civil Rights division of the AG's office fare?
Is the 'War on Drugs' going hot again? Medical pot? Legalization?
Freedom of religion vs. War on Terror?

All grist for the Confirmation mill.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:04 PM

25,792 posts, read 16,434,167 times
He's said a naughty word 40 years ago. Liberal heads explode.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:18 PM

57,009 posts, read 25,978,952 times
What recent experience makes him qualified for the US attorney, his last position was Alabama AG 20 years ago. This is not a terrible pick but he doesn't have a very distinguished resume, this seems more like a loyalty reward. Thank god it's not Rudy G.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,735,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He's only 10 months older than Hillary. If you voted for her you thought she would do fine for 4 years so by your rationale he's got at least a good 3 years, 2 months left in him.
I did NOT vote for Hillary- she is another corrupt soul that has no business in leadership & should go back to the backwoods see came from as well.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,073,697 times
So much for Trump draining the swamp. He reaching into the muck to staff his cabinet.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:45 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,739,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What recent experience makes him qualified for the US attorney, his last position was Alabama AG 20 years ago. This is not a terrible pick but he doesn't have a very distinguished resume, this seems more like a loyalty reward. Thank god it's not Rudy G.
It's a pretty terrifying pick. Republicans didn't even approve him to sit on a Federal bench, yet now he's in charge of civil rights in this country. He will set the progress of civil liberties back decades. Although yes Giuliani is arguably more terrifying.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:53 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,735,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Trump is showing his un-prowess with some of these picks of who he is surrounding himself with. This Jefff Sessions is a complete idiot that quite honestly is too old to be making any further important decisions. Based on his current comments I would say he is out of touch with the current attitude of the citizens. Go back to the backwoods in which you came from.

In management your only as good as those that you hire and if you hire buffoons then you cannot complain with subpar results. Trump has one chance to redeem himself and actually have a decent legacy but so far he seems very weak in his administration.
Guess I should also add so you all know where I am coming from- I don't like Hillary either! The Clinton era I would say actually caused the financial crisis of '08 by removing Glass-Steagal and forcing government agencies to back subprime mortgages. We didn't need another Clinton in the White House. What I am saying is Trump is considering an idiot with Sessions. To say the Nancy Reagan era of wasted tax payer dollars on a failed drug war was a success- this guy is a flippin idiot that again I repeat is too old and out of touch- Trump needs to ensure he surrounds himself with sharp people to make his administration a success even though it is obvious Trump is freaked out now that he actually won & is responsible for the entire country.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:30 PM

17,363 posts, read 9,189,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Jeff Sessions was a US Attorney for 12 Years for the Southern Alabama District - From 1981 to 1993 he served as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Alabama. Sessions was elected Attorney General of Alabama in 1994, and to the U.S. Senate in 1996, being re-elected in 2002, 2008, and 2014. (by HUGE margins) That's a lot of experience, but he added to that experience as a State Attorney General - who managed a large staff.
He is a former the Ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

He is certainly qualified - he is a bit too Conservative on Social issues in my opinion, BUT the real problem we have today is 8. years of TOTAL Corruption by the DOJ and US Attorney General.

We need a strong Clean Up guy -- Sessions is likely to do that.
At this point ,,,, All I care about is bringing Law & Order back to the USA and cleaning up the Corruption in the DOJ. Paying a bit of attention to the US Constitution is a big bonus.

As for all the Leftist Talking Points about Sessions ..... it was Democrats that denied him a job as District Judge, not Republicans. He turned that back on them by getting elected as a Senator.

Wow - KARMA is sure a Female Dog.
IF the Leftists had not kept Sessions from becoming a District Judge, they would not be facing him today as --
The next US Attorney General ..... he WILL be confirmed.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:37 PM

17,363 posts, read 9,189,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why is no one on this board concerned at all that Trump is filling his White House with Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, racists, and people with massive conflicts of interest?

Do you all really support the rise of White Supremacy? Do you not care that people like Jeff Sessions will set civil liberties back 50-100 years?

Bannon is even quoted as calling darkness good, and supporting Satan's power. He wants to take over the government and start a revolution.

I would think any sane person would be scared of how things are shaping up, but it seems like Trump supporters really are insane religious cultists.
The Radical Leftists on this board are in another Hysterical Meltdown ...
The rest of us are just so used to the Hysterical Meltdowns and the Constant-Constant-Constant ....
Racist-Racist-Racist-Racist!-Racist!!-Racist!!!-RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is just so OLD, so CONSTANT, so over-over played ....... only the Radical Leftist are paying attention to "Racist".
YAWN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies