Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
He's smart, he's black and can help blacks trapped in slums and the hood. Excellent
Choice!
So not true
Based on some if his comments during primaries and since he is the dumbest person to graduate med school
His smartest comment was that he is not qualified to run a cabinet dept
He is just someone who is lost in the weeds and will do what Trump tells him

Old 12-05-2016, 11:23 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you, especially the bold.

I think General Mattis is bad news for the Iran deal, but he is a great war time General.

As a general in Iraq, Mattis "traveled the battlefield" to stay in touch with his troops, which meant that he and the small group of Marines he traveled with got "into rolling firefights outside the wire."

He also met with sheiks to continue the effort to win over the locals.

Let's not forget that his nickname is mad dog also warrior monk.

I read an article online says Congress has only once passed a waiver to this rule, in 1950, when President Harry Truman nominated retired five-star Gen. George Marshall to the post. (Marshall stayed on the job for a year.) Mattis is very popular on Capitol Hill and will almost certainly get a waiver as well.
I don't think that Gen. Mattis, himself is bad news for the Iran deal. Trump may prove to be, as may be an as-yet-unannounced Sec. of State. Gen. Mattis thinks it would be crazy, from today's standpoint, to back out of the Iran deal. He thinks we lost leverage in nuclear negotiations by not engaging in airstrikes in Syria after the red line. That theory is decidedly untested, but not crazy like his new boss' "theories" of global politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This was one that got me scratching my head. I was ok with the others he's chosen thus far. But Carson for HUD? Come again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So what exactly does he know about Housing & Urban Development ? He said himself that he wasn't qualified to be Surgeon General something he actually knows about !
How can he run HUD? It's a complex position way beyond his scope that involves Civil Rights law and financing for residential & commercial real estate transactions amongst other things !
If Trump is so convinced that Carson can run a real estate & Urban development Government agency then why doesn't he let him run his private real estate empire after he becomes Prez instead ?

So maybe as Sec. of HUD Dr. Carson can start building some of those grain storage pyramids like he talked about during the Primaries that they have in Egypt !

Of course Carson is unqualified for HUD (or any other agency head position). But he offers exactly what the Trump Administration wants: a black HUD Secretary willing to undo the Obama Administration's efforts to desegregate low-income housing. The Trump Administration believes that a black HUD Secretary will provide them more insulation from criticism as they seek to end desegregation of public housing.

I would describe this as a media-savvy pick, but an immoral and deeply cynical one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Let me introduce this veteran Marine...

"A retired Green Beret officer alleged Friday that Gen. James Mattis, who has been nominated to be the next defense secretary, hesitated to send medical evacuation flights and left soldiers to die during a 2001 friendly fire incident in Afghanistan."

Retired Green Beret says Mattis left 'my men to die' in Afghanistan - News - Stripes
A point of semantics, but important: "green beret" is a pop culture term for US Army Special Forces--US Army Special Forces are not Marines. Nonetheless, the story stands and certainly deserves examination by the Senate & the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
In most cases, no one hates and avoids war as much as someone who's been involved in them. And also, Shields and Brooks on NPR News both like him and that counts with me.
This is a flawed generalization. In recent American history we have few examples to truly weigh. Looking at Presidents we have the following post-WWII:

Pres. Truman
Pres. Eisenhower
Pres. Kennedy
Pres. Nixon
Pres. Ford
Pres. H.W. Bush

Of those, H.W. Bush & Ford were probably the least hawkish, Eisenhower around the middle, and the others being more on the hawkish end of the FP spectrum. I think there is little difference between this group and their counterparts that never served in a theater of war in terms of hawkishness. In other words, I don't think that war service is a good stand-in for how much a political figure advocates war or avoids it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
I was in the 1st Marine Division and know Marines who served under him.

He surprised many of the subordinate officers under his command when he was the first guy in the parking lot at 5:00 am, ready to lead the way on a three mile battalion-strong run. You won't see Petraeus running alongside a PFC at 5:00 am.

He knows how to inspire/motivate men.....and it won't take long for him to weed out all the peanut-heads and civilian slouches at the Pentagon.
The Pentagon is a bureaucracy--it is meant to be. It's myriad roles include procurement, budgeting, research, planning, policy, etc. The desk jobs & civilian roles at DoD are needed to make the military service portion of the DoD work.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:32 PM

Re the PizzaGate faux news story in DC--
Mike Flynn's adult son has passed along that lie and defended doing so---
That is a scum act
And it speaks to the deplorable---yes, that word again--deplorable lack of conscience and morality that so many of the Trump crowd cheerleaders exhibit
And Trump himself is the worst---to encourage and play off these lies as "news"
Pathetic snd so unpresidential!!!

Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That is a scum act
And it speaks to the deplorable---yes, that word again--deplorable lack of conscience and morality that so many of the Trump crowd cheerleaders exhibit
He is not looking to please you haters... your propaganda of hate isn't fooling anyone... Merry Christmas...

Old 12-05-2016, 07:09 PM

9 posts, read 3,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That is a scum act
Sour grapes sure makes the left grouchy. Sure hope you are making yourself as miserable as you are making me laugh.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A78DhtH544

This Ben Carson 6 months to give a 5 to 10 min speech

Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Why has Jill and Hill NOT begun chosing their cabinet appointments?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:12 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Remember the warning from Pres. Eisenhower. "Beware of the military industrial complex". Nutty Don and the Koch's are now deep into the gov't. This will not be good for the general population of the country.
Pshaw.

The MIC has had their hands on Americans wallets since long before any of them were born.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Ben Carson will be the first ever HUD Secretary who has actually lived in government housing. Seems like a good pick.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
He is not looking to please you haters... your propaganda of hate isn't fooling anyone... Merry Christmas...
Why do you persist in calling people who,point out the flawed nature and animosity of some Trump supporters "haters"?
We haven't taken a gun to any Trump hotel and threatened people working there...

I don't expect my comments to "fool" anyone...
I would hope someone who voted for Trump might be educated about the danger behind his lies promised to his supporters...
Hey...I am not the one who promised to "drain the swamp" in Washington and then packed my future Cabinet with people who took advantage of the middle class and working poor in America...
Trump's picks for Commerce and Teeasury are responsible for killing jobs and foreclosing homes to enrich themselves, taking advantage of the same beneficial tax policies and likely dark hole banking that Trump uses...they are his "running buddies"--just prime examples of rich 1 per centers who will shape the system to benefit themselves...

And why don't your drop the "Merry Christmas" tag...it clashes with the rest of your sarcasm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies