Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:26 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

I asked why some people would try to excuse this woman's use of racial slurs. I gather by lack of a response this conclusion. Her actions represent how some people feel but don't have the courage to admit. I don't know what else to gather from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I think the teacher was being brutally honest and trying to help these students out. Unfortunatley we live in the liberal utopia PC world. Sadly because of it im sure a lot of these students will end up in gangs and end up ruining their lives.
Isn't liberalism just marvelous!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/baltimore...203208389.html
I haven't read the rest of the thread but teachers do their students a service by telling the truth. It should be praised, not punished.

Why are we spending money on schools for students who refuse to learn?

Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
She should be fired, point blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Double standard. Had she been black she would have been praised for "speaking the truth!"
Double standard, huh? Methinks you seriously want to use the N-word on a Black person. Just be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, she wouldn't have. No teacher of any race is allowed to use that kind of language in a classroom, nor are they supposed to be allowed to stir up racial tension. I have had black colleagues fired, put on leave, or non-renewed over similar stunts. I failed a minority student teacher last spring over something more benign. A classroom is for education, not indoctrination.
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Its only news because the teacher was white. Had she been black I doubt we would have even heard a peep about it.
And how's that a bad thing? While I agree the students need to take responsibility for their behavior, she acted in prejudice and ignorance; she deserves to be put on blast.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:07 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, she wouldn't have. No teacher of any race is allowed to use that kind of language in a classroom, nor are they supposed to be allowed to stir up racial tension. I have had black colleagues fired, put on leave, or non-renewed over similar stunts. I failed a minority student teacher last spring over something more benign. A classroom is for education, not indoctrination.
Is there anything wrong with a teacher telling their students that they are on a losing course? When they get out of school or drop out some will meet the fate of Michael Brown with their antics. If their parents won't tell them because they don't care, who will?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Is there anything wrong with a teacher telling their students that they are on a losing course? When they get out of school or drop out some will meet the fate of Michael Brown with their antics. If their parents won't tell them because they don't care, who will?
There is something wrong with a teacher cursing out their students and using racial slurs. No excuses for that, period.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:17 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You can tell them that, but it's HOW you tell them that is what matters.
Quote:
“You’re idiots!...You have the chance to get an education, but you want to be a punk-a** n***** who’s gonna get shot.â€

One student can be heard pleading with the teacher to “stop saying that,†as she continues to call the class “stupid†and threatens to give them “zeros for doing nothing.â€
It's sad when a child is more level-headed and rational than the teacher.

Even if she had not used a racial slur, she never should have called the entire classroom a bunch of "idiots". You don't say that to kids that you are teaching. If they are a bunch of "idiots", I guess she wasn't doing a good job. I'm glad she got fired.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:19 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
She should probably pursue a different line of work.
I agree. This job is not a good fit.

Let me see, in what setting could one hurl insults at others and get away with it. Prison guard, perhaps?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You can tell them that, but it's HOW you tell them that is what matters.

It's sad when a child is more level-headed and rational than the teacher.

Even if she had not used a racial slur, she never should have called the entire classroom a bunch of "idiots". You don't say that to kids that you are teaching. If they are a bunch of "idiots", I guess she wasn't doing a good job. I'm glad she got fired.
Anytime a student is more levelheaded than the teacher, there is a problem. There were better ways to get her message across. People who are trying to make excuses for her actions are just exposing their own covert racism.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I would like to know what led up to this behavior. It could be justified if we saw the reason for this outburst. The fellow kicked out could have used said language and she could have been using language to make a stronger point. Hard to judge.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I would like to know what led up to this behavior. It could be justified if we saw the reason for this outburst. The fellow kicked out could have used said language and she could have been using language to make a stronger point. Hard to judge.
I really don't care what led up to that. I've seen a teacher get cursed out and pushed, and he didn't react like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies