Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:37 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
A few years ago, I brought my family to a very large commercial orchard to pick fruits on a weekend day. Everything was nice and pleasant, and we all had a great time, until near the end of the trip we came across something that saddened me: in a far corner of the orchard, there were a few rows of trailers that houses many Mexican labors working there. Their living conditions looked horrible.

That made me thinking, these farm workers do the kind of jobs at a pay that no Americans would accept. We all like low prices at grocery stores to keep cost of living and inflation low, if these people are gone, why would everything just become great again?
Sure they will just have to raise their wages. I've done monotonous harvest work before and when it pays enough there is no need to hire illegals. Plenty or traveling us citizens could use this work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 08:39 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Sure they will just have to raise their wages. I've done monotonous harvest work before and when it pays enough there is no need to hire illegals. Plenty or traveling us citizens could use this work.
Yeah, once we have another great depression, I guess people will be willing to do any kind of work they can get.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Yeah, once we have another great depression, I guess people will be willing to do any kind of work they can get.
I already do any kind of work I can get. As far as I'm concerned we're in a depression now. I just left an agracultural temp job last month actually. 12 hour days 7 days a week till it's done outside in the cold. There was one hispanic on our crew and I assume he was legal. All partially homeless white people and a few asians. I say partially because the ag company had camps for us to sleep in with no running water but porter poties. Some slept in their cars, and some had RVs. I know of at least 3 who slept in the bed of a truck with their dogs. NOBODY there was from the area. Everybody was out of state. Some just got done picking apples in washington, some picking blueberrys in oregon. Some picking garlic. Many are going to harvest/sell christmas trees. Some going to trim weed during their harvest, and some going to amazon to work in the fullfillment centers as temps.

My point is there is an abundance of people that want these agriculture temp jobs. The difference is they have to pay about $12 an hour, not $4 an hour or whatever the illegals are getting paid. Americans simply cannot live on a wage that low without converting them to pesos.

Americans absolutely do want these jobs, for a fair wage.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:00 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,998 times
I think your are confusing migrant farm workers with illegal immigrants. Chances are those workers you saw were here legally and not illegals. I have toured several farming operations on California's central coast and those workers are migrant workers and they follow the harvests of various crops between the US and Mexico. Smaller operations might employ illegals but the bigger ones would have a harder time getting away with that. I picked grapes as a teenager in the 1990's and all of the workers I worked with were migrant workers working legally. So getting rid of illegals would have little effect on produce prices. Now the construction industry and restaurant/hospitality industries have a lot of illegals working for them.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:06 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
To help offset the high prices of groceries, more Americans need to have their own "Victory gardens" like we did during WWII. In the cities, there could be more community gardens.

What happened to the 100 mile diet? Trying to only eat what is produced within a hundred miles of ones home.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:21 PM

I've said this before, the real chickens coming home to roost will be when the children of these illegals schooled by your tax dollars will be competing directly with your children for the same jobs.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
I've said this before, the real chickens coming home to roost will be when the children of these illegals schooled by your tax dollars will be competing directly with your children for the same jobs.
And competing with an affirmative action boost.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:32 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
but to answer the question posed by the OP--

Will rust belt unemployed do farm labor work that Mexicans do?

the answer will be ... "no"...
The answer would be yes if we got the government out of the way.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
To help offset the high prices of groceries, more Americans need to have their own "Victory gardens" like we did during WWII. In the cities, there could be more community gardens.

What happened to the 100 mile diet? Trying to only eat what is produced within a hundred miles of ones home.
90% of Americans would even know what a garden is, much less how to grow one.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
BTW, according to National Geographic, the average wage in 2010 for farm workers was $10.19. I'm sure it's higher now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies