Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 10:50 AM

50,437 posts, read 24,019,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How do I feel when someone says they don't "support" gay marriage? I feel like you're entitled to your opinion, but not that you're entitled to dictate your feelings to restrict the rights of others.

So long as the government is in the business of licensing marriages, there is no rational basis to not allow gay people to marry each other.

Don't like interracial marriage? Don't get one.
Don't like inter-religious marriage? Don't get one.
Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one.

See how that works?
Best summary of the issue I've ever heard.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Can I marry several consenting women? Maybe a very wealthy man wants to marry several hundred. Who does that hurt? If you don't like polygamy just don't marry into one.
Tax-wise it hurts the American people.

But what if a certified minister decides to go ahead and conduct marriages for polygamists? Are you okay with that?

Old 11-19-2016, 10:58 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,634,064 times
People can or can't support it it's their own free will. Business can deny or allow individuals from the LGBT community.

The issue is thoughs who use intimidation, vandalism, and hate to effect people of the LGBT community. The Government should have very little say in regards to LGBT life's. They should ensure that LGBT's should be protected under the Constitution as every other individual. The LGBT community should have similar rights and privileges as a married couple.

The only exception is State and Federal facilities must be neutral can't deny anyone from being in their facilities. Must make accommodationa for all.

Schools are a separate entity that should be no state or federal involvement. Outside of ensuring that Constitutional rights and civil order is upheld.

The Government should do away with incone tax as well.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:03 AM

25,780 posts, read 21,924,440 times
I support separation of church and state, thus that is how I have decided to leave the whole issue. Look at what happens with Islam where you intertwine the two for a lesson on why to just let people decide what is moral for them unless it places an undue burden on others.

It doesn't matter how I feel about such a relationship, only that I support separation of church and state.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:15 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,159,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Certain people now view homosexual behavior as a inborn trait like race, gender, or eye color. Therefore, they mentally have linked our bill of rights and equality to what has been traditionally viewed as a behavior, not a inborn trait. Murdering someone or assulting someone is a behavior that is not protected in our legal system.

However, it has been shown that most Americans do NOT support same sex marriage rights so the Supreme Court is actually ignoring the voice of the people and awarding that right to same gender couples in spite of public wishes.

People of faith which are silent on it because the last thing that people who are struggling with gender issues or loneliness need is a critic. You win people with love, not with hate. So, people who might criticize are silenced even by the detractors.
The supreme courts is supposed to rule based on the constitution, not based on the will of the people.
Interracial marriage was approved by the supreme court against the will of the people based on the constitution. The same for SSM

Old 11-19-2016, 11:19 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,109,536 times
Quote:
What about my 2nd amendment rights? Those are protected by the constitution and a founding principal of our nation. Yet every 4 years a politician campaigns on the promise to limit my freedom
Which is equally wrong.

Gay marriage rights
Gun rights

Both should be here to stay.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Why can't we share love for eachother? Why must you insist on ridiculing us and discriminating us? Are we not all Americans?

As for the popular vote, not one president in the past 200 years has been elected on the popular vote. That's like crying because you lost a football game because your team ran the most yards, most completed passes, most first downs. Each candidate knew the electoral college process and campaigned in a strategy to win the most electoral votes. Trump simply had better ground game than Clinton who chose to not even campaign in states like WI.
I haven't seen much sharing of love for gays or members of BLM from Republicans.

Come on now. More people voted for Hillary. Period. If it were the opposite way around, you Republicans would be so against the electoral college right now. Can't you at least be honest about that?

Old 11-19-2016, 11:33 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,634,064 times
Should be made a Constitutional ammendment that individuals married to the same sex receive same medical and goverment benefits as an individual married to the opposite sex.

Another one private businesses or religious institution has the right to refuse service to anyone they choose and avoid any issues of legality. However, non profit, goverment, veterinary, medical, public higher education and housing services cannot refuse an individual based off of race, gender, or religion. Exception being a private medical or veterinary facility can not deny emergency services to individuals. They must ensure that of care is being provided to an individual can not disrupt continuity of care. Must assist in transition of care to another provider.

Abolish affirmative action.

Make a Constitutional ammendment that abortion after 21 weeks is illegal. Exceptions made if it effects the mother's well being and life.

Add to the 2nd Ammendment that national gun law based off the Utah Permit. Individuals allowed to transfer unloaded locked weapons across state lines.

Constitutional ammendment legalizing marijuana and adjusting convictions accordingly.

Constitutional ammendment making eminent domain illegal.

Constitution ammendment abolishing the death penalty.

Done simple.

Last edited by RunD1987; 11-19-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 11:50 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,561,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
These couples need civil, secular marriage for legal rights to health benefits and assets in case someone passes away. Why would anyone want to obstruct their rights?
They always had the right you're talking about, which is a legal contract.
Most states expedited that process with civil unions.

This is not the issue at all.
Here is Justice Scalia's written dissent - it explains why "gay marriage" was never a right
in the United States until very recently, and how the Supreme Court overstepped its
consititutional authority.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Absolutely.

The gays are mostly hypocrites. They demand to parade in the streets,
they have their non-profit charities which raise millions for gay causes,
they lobby for political efforts, like gay marriage, gay adoption and
normalization of perversion in sexual medias.
They are forcing our children to be brought up to approve of their lifestyles,
and bully them into not having an expressable opinion.

We have to fight against them with no quarter, quash them like we always
have, stuff them into a corner and give them no rights in the public square.

That is my never-changing conviction, I am 100% against homosexual "marriage",
always will be.. and I'm also against gay adoption, gays using surrogates
to make children, and against any protections for them based on sexual activities.
And we are against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies