Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:57 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh racism is everywhere, but usually people who have known racist tendencies, dont advise the president in official capacities.
What known racist tendencies? How is being concerned about foreign born execs heading our companies racist? Nationalist, sure, racist, only in your paranoid fantasies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 10:15 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, I am.

I'm not about to dismiss the Marion 3 case as some aberration.
He's an Alabama Republican with a track record that's hostile to my people. I'm watching that snake.
They were numerous reports of voter fraud, so he investigated. Then the accused admitted they'd been altering the ballots of elderly & blind people. He was AG, why wouldn't he prosecute?

Old 11-19-2016, 10:41 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I am a legal immigrant from India & I voted for Trump. Being 'legal', I had to keep my status by working harder than others at my education & work because thats how the existing system works here. Before your employer applies for your green card, they have to advertise your position for a year & try to find an American citizen to replace you. Only when they cant find one, my petition moves ahead. That means I have to develop more skillsets & work experience than Americans in my profession. If not, I will be easily replaced.

We dont enjoy the privileges & perks that illegal immigrants get here. If your gpa drops or you lose your job, your visa is cancelled & you get deported within 40days. The backlog to get green card for Indians is about 15-20 yrs because there are so many illegals blocking the line. I think it would be great if they get deported. It will clear a lot of backlog. Your country, your rules. If I have a problem with it I should pack my bags & leave the country rather than forming coalitions of ignorants & throwing childish tantrums. Any naturalized citizen is an American so when you say American, you are talking about me whereas an immigrant means who is still on some visa or here illegally. Being a visitor here doesnt give you any rights that citizens enjoy. Work hard & become a citizen like us to claim your rights & benefits.
Good luck sir. I dont think the kkK and white supremacists care about your papers......

Old 11-19-2016, 11:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
They were numerous reports of voter fraud, so he investigated. Then the accused admitted they'd been altering the ballots of elderly & blind people. He was AG, why wouldn't he prosecute?
Nope. You're not telling the whole truth.

Quote:

Share MediaShow Caption
WASHINGTON
Black Belt voter fraud case in Alabama shaped Sen. Jeff Sessions' career
Facebook
Twitter
Email
Aa
_
+
Mary Troyan and Brian Lyman | USA TODAY Network
1 day ago
WASHINGTON – Being U.S. Attorney General in President-elect Donald Trump’s administration would be the dream job for Sen. Jeff Sessions, the Eagle Scout from small town Alabama who openly professes his love of the law, his conservative ideology and his intense partisan loyalty.

Trump announced Friday he will nominate Sessions to lead the Department of Justice, an agency in which he worked as a U.S. Attorney in south Alabama for 14 years before entering politics. It is a part of his biography he mentions more frequently than any other.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala. speaks to media at Trump Tower, Nov. 17, 2016, in New York.
Carolyn Kaster, AP
“Jeff is principled, forthright, and hardworking,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. “He cares deeply about his country and the department he will be nominated to lead."
But the road to Senate confirmation will be rough based on the reaction from Democrats and a whole host of civil rights organizations who fear Sessions’ views on immigration, civil rights and criminal justice – many of them dating back to his time before he was in the Senate – will move the Justice Department in a sharply conservative direction after eight years of President Obama.

Among the harshest critiques was from Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., who called Sessions “anti-immigrant and anti-civil rights.’’
“If you have nostalgia for the days when blacks kept quiet, gays were in the closet, immigrants were invisible and women stayed in the kitchen, Sen. Jefferson Beauregard Sessions is your man,’’ Gutierrez said in a statement.
The most important reviews of Sessions’ record, however, will come from members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, who will decide whether to recommend him to the full Senate for confirmation. Senators traditionally show great deference to their colleagues when they are elevated to positions in the executive branch. And there were no signs Friday that any Senate Republican, even those who opposed Trump, had reservations about the appointment.
Sessions’ Democratic colleagues were signaling that his path to the Justice Department will not go unchallenged.

“Sen. Sessions has served on the Senate Judiciary Committee for many years so he’s well aware of the thorough vetting he’s about to receive,’’ said California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the Judiciary’s ranking Democrat. “And while many of us have worked with Sen. Sessions closely and know him to be a staunch advocate for his beliefs, the process will remain the same: a fair and complete review of the nominee.’’
The confirmation hearings, which could start even before Trump is sworn in Jan. 20, are expected to relive a series of events more than three decades ago in Alabama that had a profound impact on his career.
In 1985, when he was U.S. Attorney in Mobile, Sessions’ office brought indictments over allegations of voter fraud in a number of Black Belt counties, an area in Alabama named for the color of the soil but with a majority black population. In Perry County, Sessions’ office charged three individuals with voting fraud, including Albert Turner, a long-time civil rights activist who advised Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. and helped lead the voting rights March in Selma on March 7, 1965, known as "Bloody Sunday" after state troopers and a local posse attacked the protestors.
Prosecutors alleged that Turner, his wife Evelyn, and activist Spencer Hogue altered ballots for a Sept. 1984 primary election.

Robert Turner, Albert’s brother and an attorney in Marion, Ala., said in a phone interview Friday that the defendants – later known as the Marion Three – were trying to assist poor and elderly voters in casting ballots. In some cases, the defendants said they were helping illiterate voters mark their ballots, and only altered ballots when requested.

“There are and there were large numbers of elderly people in Perry County who need assistance,” said Turner, who helped with his brother’s defense. “They couldn’t get to the polls on their own. As a matter of fact, the technical requirements of completing and mailing (the ballots) were not understood.”
Everyone was acquitted, and the case was purely racially motivated.

Too much has come out about Sessions to draw any other conclusion. And blacks must storm D.C. to prevent this guy from that position. Put him at Transportation or something.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:03 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Your side lost. You don't get to pick the AG. We had to put up with 8 years of Obama's crap, you'll have to put up with it too.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Your side lost. You don't get to pick the AG. We had to put up with 8 years of Obama's crap, you'll have to put up with it too.
Lost what? What did my side lose? I thought that we're all supposedly winners with Trump at the helm.

At least wingers keep telling me that.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:18 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lost what? What did my side lose? I thought that we're all supposedly winners with Trump at the helm.

At least wingers keep telling me that.
You lost the ability to get Democrats appointed to the administration. You didn't really lose anything, so quit ranting about every pick in the administration.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:32 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
His troubling staff and cabinet appointments really need to be considered.

His chief advisor, Steve Bannon, recently implied that there are too many Asian CEOs in Silicon
Valley.

https://www.cnet.com/news/trumps-che...s-being-asian/

Trump aide Steve Bannon really hates Asian CEOs | Fusion

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/17/...ys-asian-ceos/

This means that he not only takes issue with poor immigrants, but also rich immigrants-what about rich minorities as a whole?

Are we the next to be blamed for the plight of Whites in the Rust Belt?

I work in a management position in SV and this has me thinking that perhaps we should at least think about ways to keep our families safe.
If they're illegal, they should volunteer to leave and just go, save us the time, money and resources. Just make an announcement that if you're illegal, you have 30 days to be out of the country, if you're still here and get caught, you're going to jail.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:47 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The best contingency plan would be to leave the country. Really, its the safest thing to do.
it's his only truly safe choice. do it before bannon comes around to kidnap him in the dark of the night and 'disappear' him

Old 11-20-2016, 01:40 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Good luck sir. I dont think the kkK and white supremacists care about your papers......
In 2016; out of every 100 "people of color", MORE get murdered by other people of color than anglo white people, white supremacist or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies