Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 03:40 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
Walking several miles a day DOES burn hundreds of calories, in some cases well in excess of 1,000 depending on the distance and your weight.
Just lol if you think you are burning a thousand calories a day by walking a few miles every day. If you are as fit as you say (which doesn't have to be the case because loads and I mean LOADS of guys vastly underestimate how fat they actually are) then it's because of your diet mostly with your exercise playing a limited role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
So you used to be a libertarian but now you are a fascist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 03:53 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I'm old enough to have observed some people destroy themselves with their bad choices.

And when I was younger, and heard someone say, "I'm not hurting anyone else." I always thought, "Yeah. So what. They can do what they want." Now I see that as soon as their lives start going to heck, whether financially or their health, they want someone, anyone, everyone else to save them.

Phooey on that!

Old 11-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 8 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
Agree with OP. Libertarianism is just another one of those things that seems good in theory.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:13 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Treadmill - 30 min @ 3 mph 10% grade 175# = 292 cal :

Calories Burned for Treadmill: 10% Incline, 3 mph (20 minutes per mile) | SparkPeople

Typical walking is less, not all uphill:

Calorie Estimator - How Many Calories Do You Burn Walking? | NJ2NY50 - The Big Walk

Old 11-21-2016, 05:24 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Just to address the "good in theory" thing...

If it's good in theory, it's good in practice. Communism was bad in theory, which is why it failed. It relied on the "new man" concept, which is not sustainable.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:27 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
What business is it of yours? You were never a libertarian liar.
Actually, it has a lot to do with insurance rates.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
I moved to the "big city" for years. I have temporarily moved back to the deep south while house hunting for a retirement home either here or elsewhere.

One thing that struck me when I moved back was how FAT a lot of people are. I mean truly obese. I went to WalMart and noticed that almost every person I saw was overweight to some degree, and more than a few morbidly obese.

A member of my family is overweight. A big guy with a big belly, but he's not morbidly obese or sloppy fat. But he makes no attempt to eat healthy, except that he likes to eat veggies (cooked with pork and butter, of course). He eats out every day. Gumbo, fried foods, fattening sandwiches with soups on the side, lots and lots of beef, loaded potatoes. Lots of fat, calories, cholesterol, processed foods. There are people everywhere eating fast food and fattening foods at restaurants. No salad places here. My family member has type 2 diabetes, of course. A lot of people do here. Oh, and no exercise to speak of. Very few gyms. I rarely see someone bicycling or walking/jogging.

I don't know if this is different from when I left and I don't remember it, or if this happened since I left. Maybe it's boredom. More than likely it's habit and not knowing just how unhealthy they're eating.

Diabetes type 2 is caused by lifestyle and is very expensive to treat, since it's chronic. And it's totally preventable, and even reversible at certain stages.

This is very much Trump territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies