Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump has no clue what he's doing.
Now that's funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 09:09 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
If Americans think we're not currently waterboarding; it's exactly what our government wants us to believe.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:13 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You are falling for the fallacy that if tortured, people make things up. That's not how things work. The interrogator, like a good defense lawyer, knows something about what he is asking about. If you catch two guys planting an IED and one gets away, it is a fair assumption that he KNOWS where they got the IED, who the other guys is, where he lives etc. You are not torturing an innocent guy who has to make stuff up to be left alone.
Except this is a very specific scenario tailored to make torture seem sensible. The reality is, if torture became acceptable, a lot of innocent people would end up on the stretch rack due to simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time, "looking suspicious", or for saying the wrong things.

This country and its people deserve better than to end up like a third world dictatorship or the Middle Ages.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:32 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Now that's funny!
Ok then, enlighten me. Tell me how Trump knows anything about foreign relations, war, torture? McCain knows first hard. I can't believe you think Trump knows more than McCain That's pretty scary.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
now, who is this mccain dude and why is he telling the presdient elect anything?

Old 11-20-2016, 09:49 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Heck I'm so pain adverse I'll tell you anything you want, you don't need to torture me. As for waterboarding, I was a "free diver" for most of my life. I can hold my breath for a really long time underwater. So pour away.
Quote:
McCain is part of his party. And McCain knows what's he's talking about. Trump has no clue what he's doing. I think it would be in Trump's best interest to listen to someone who was actually tortured.

McCain lost the presidency and Trump won. If Trump wants torture, there will be torture. Just because McCain has been around longer doesn't mean he gets to decide.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:06 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
McCain lost the presidency and Trump won. If Trump wants torture, there will be torture. Just because McCain has been around longer doesn't mean he gets to decide.
Honestly, if we have a president who thinks they can do what they want without listening to the advise of others who are experienced, then we are in deep trouble. Why does he want it and why does he think it would help. I would like to know that. He may not have to answer or listen to McCain, but he sure as hell as to answer and listen to the American people since he is representing us. Oh, John McCain is one of these Americans. Yet, it's ok to brush him off.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:16 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I got a better idea. Keep the cultures separate and there won't be a need to interrogate anyone in the first place.

****ing genius!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Except this is a very specific scenario tailored to make torture seem sensible. The reality is, if torture became acceptable, a lot of innocent people would end up on the stretch rack due to simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time, "looking suspicious", or for saying the wrong things.

This country and its people deserve better than to end up like a third world dictatorship or the Middle Ages.

OK, and anyone can come here from anywhere on the planet as long as they promise to not commit the mass murder of innocent Americans while here?

Old 11-20-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
McCain is part of his party. And McCain knows what's he's talking about. Trump has no clue what he's doing. I think it would be in Trump's best interest to listen to someone who was actually tortured.

OK, but in the interest of fairness, we should also listen to someone who has been directly impacted by a terrorist attack on US soil.

Maybe someone who was close enough to the Boston Marathon bombings to see little kids have their arms and legs blown off by a pressure cooker bomb and to have heard their screams as they died in the street.

McCain can give his testimony and explain to us all once again that we are a better nation than one that would practice waterboarding with one breath and how we should have effectively open borders with another breath, but I want him to also say, "I accept personal responsibility for whatever happens next!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies