U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:58 PM

14,119 posts, read 6,065,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Honestly, both Democrats and Republicans need to just grow up!! When George W Bush won in 2000, there was no end of hand-wringing and whining about the "stolen election." The GOP spent all 8 years of Obama's presidency looking for an excuse to impeach him and fought him on everything (even things that they supposedly believed in) just as a matter of "principle." The same was also true of the Democrats when W was in, though thanks to the unifying affect of 9/11 it was far less blatant.

We may never even find out if Trump can do all the crap he claims he can. The Democrats will go so far out of their way to stop him that we'll never get to find out.

And that is why both parties just need to die. They're so obsessively locked into their stupid feud they can't even function anymore.
It's like Boyz N The Hood. A never ending circle of revenge for some perceived slight. The party system needs to go, but without it would anything ever get done, or would it just be a bunch of completely independent people putting out ideas for laws that will never get enough support to pass? Or would better ideas get passed without all the pork attached just to get this or that senator on board?

I would love for a temporary experiment (one session and then revert back). If it worked out great, then they could always vote to make it permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 02:03 PM

14,119 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Quite a few Republicans, including the Bushes, voted for Hillary. Lots of Republicans opposed Trump.
That was before he won. Their main objection was that he would lose all their down-ballot elections and cost them the majority. That argument is lost now.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:05 PM

62,699 posts, read 34,168,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Finn,

what is your opinion on this

BEFORE the election, the networks and analysts' were saying it was possible/ even probable that Hillary would win the EC but Trump might take the PV.

IF that had happened, do you think there would be as big of a remorse from the losing side, like there is from the losing side on how the election actually turned out

while we may be on different sides politically, you have always shown to be fair for the most part
I think they are wasting their time. The PV means nothing.

If tables were reversed the same would be happening. Heck, Team Trump complained a full year about rigged elections, including the electoral system being rigged and all that was BEFORE the elections. That has never happened before. Him, and his supporters would have been all over the place if he had won the PV and lost the EC.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:33 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times
Quote:
I think they are wasting their time. The PV means nothing.

If tables were reversed the same would be happening. Heck, Team Trump complained a full year about rigged elections, including the electoral system being rigged and all that was BEFORE the elections. That has never happened before. Him, and his supporters would have been all over the place if he had won the PV and lost the EC.
Though I don't think the violence or the daily protests would have occurred. The usual news pundits would be spinning on their heads, there'd be calls for boycotts and a congressional investigation but I highly doubt that what's going on now in many places around the country would have happened. I also believe the majority of it would have pretty much settled down while some kind of investigation was called for and they'd then go on to attack Trump and his campaign for blowing it "uuhhuuugely".

The right, or conservatives if you will don't react like the left does, never really has, at least as long as I've known, unless you know of some riots,looting and burning that has happened? Hell, there's really never been any mass protests about anything that I can think of.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:35 PM

66,196 posts, read 33,604,999 times
Quote:
Someone asked me for a signature, so I had to look it up. It is true, they are collecting signatures for the electorate to vote for Hillary instead of Trump, and since there is no legal mandate for them to vote for Trump, it is at least theoretically possible, they would do it.

I didn't sign, but apparently they have over 1.3 million signatures already.

Petition for electoral college coup against Trump gets more than 1 million signatures

Anger and discontent over President-elect Donald Trumpís victory is being channeled into an electoral college coup attempt. More than a million people have signed a petition urging electors from states Trump won to cast their votes instead for Hillary Clinton

So!

The Constitution cannot be changed by petition.....

Too bad, so sad!

Article II

Section 1.

The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his office during the term of four years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same term, be elected, as follows:
Each state shall appoint, in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors, equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States, shall be appointed an elector.
The electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for two persons, of whom one at least shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves. And they shall make a list of all the persons voted for, and of the number of votes for each; which list they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates, and the votes shall then be counted. The person having the greatest number of votes shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such majority, and have an equal number of votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately choose by ballot one of them for President; and if no person have a majority, then from the five highest on the list the said House shall in like manner choose the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by States, the representation from each state having one vote; A quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. In every case, after the choice of the President, the person having the greatest number of votes of the electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal votes, the Senate shall choose from them by ballot the Vice President.
The Congress may determine the time of choosing the electors, and the day on which they shall give their votes; which day shall be the same throughout the United States.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:12 PM

2,768 posts, read 2,483,411 times
Quote:
Someone asked me for a signature, so I had to look it up. It is true, they are collecting signatures for the electorate to vote for Hillary instead of Trump, and since there is no legal mandate for them to vote for Trump, it is at least theoretically possible, they would do it.

Petition for electoral college coup against Trump gets more than 1 million signatures

Anger and discontent over President-elect Donald Trumpís victory is being channeled into an electoral college coup attempt. More than a million people have signed a petition urging electors from states Trump won to cast their votes instead for Hillary Clinton
I guess that didn't turn out like they hoped.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:55 PM

18,664 posts, read 7,257,655 times
Quote:

at least a few million people learned how to write their name

Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 PM

501 posts, read 681,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
at least a few million people learned how to write their name

And made a few bucks.... I bet IPs would show nothing South America

Old 12-19-2016, 08:08 PM

12,224 posts, read 17,926,900 times
I don't understand...if every single American eligible to vote actually voted....Mr Trump might not have won. I am in school with a bunch of people,mostly in their 20's and non of them voted but they are the biggest cry babies. I just don't get it.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 PM

8,517 posts, read 4,393,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I don't understand...if every single American eligible to vote actually voted....Mr Trump might not have won. I am in school with a bunch of people,mostly in their 20's and non of them voted but they are the biggest cry babies. I just don't get it.
If every single American eligible to vote that could not make up their mind between the two voted Libertarian. we would have had a whole new day in government. 4 million people did it; left their mark they really want more choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies