Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Super Intelligence a Liability?
Yes 5 19.23%
No 17 65.38%
Can't Read 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:12 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,609 times

Advertisements

Quote: Politically-speaking, does the average American fear the super-intelligent?

Heck no. I'm dumb as a shovel, but them dang-gone politician-types are even dumber!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:21 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
LoL...'super-intelligent'--Well...true intelligence is contextual--which is to say..if what you know is useful..then you are intelligent..for that situation. The more situations that you are ready to deal with..the more intelligent you are..IMO.

That being said..America has always distrusted the intellectual--feeling..sometimes with cause...that there was a world out there that they--the non-intellectual--were being excluded from.
Elitism takes many forms--intellect being just one. Money...race....culture...religion...political affiliation...all have their elite class...with arcane rules and a language all their own.

Politically speaking..to address your thread, I think the "average American" distrusts elites--of which the 'ivory-towered' intellectual is one.

True, towering intellect--is almost always humble--and self-effacing. There is so much to know...that being overly proud of whatever crumb of knowledge the universe allows you---reveals the fool beneath the sheepskin.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Not sure. To my knowledge, the super intelligent tend to not run for office.

As for what political affiliation do the super intelligent usually lean towards? Most of the super intelligent folks I know work for places like Google, Microsoft, and NASA. And they vary across the entire political spectrum. Some voted for Trump, some voted for Clinton, quite a few voted Libertarian. None of them toe a particular party line, they all have very specific opinions about very specific platforms, and they generally pick a candidate based on the platforms most important to them.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:06 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
I'm not going to quote my earlier reply, because that's just sort of obnoxious, but I would like to add to it.

I don't really know if there are that many people who are "super intelligent." Do you mean genius-level? Those are rare birds. Above average? Sure. Lots of people are. I am. That's not a brag, it was a gift, totally unearned, and not a good reason to feel morally superior to anyone. There are a lot of smart people who are really awful human beings.

I think that might be part of the problem. It's one thing to be bright, it's another thing to act as if brightness means one is inherently better than other people. After thinking about it for a while, I wonder if that might be a bit too common a mindset, and if it might not account for some of the hostility.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:10 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
I still think this thread is in code for some other meaning . It doesn't make sense. Fearful liberals of Trump are average intelligence? No that's not it. Dumb white republicans of average intelligence are fearful of liberalism? Yeah, Yeah I think that's it.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I still think this thread is in code for some other meaning. It doesn't make sense.
I agree. Vauge is an understatement. All I can say is I fear nobody (except my tiny lil' lady when she's struck the war post lol) and I quite possibly define intelligence very differently from the OP. "Intelligence" has many facets, including cunning, guile, motivation, intent and on and on.

I don't view any other person with fear, however I give those I feel to be a threat with due caution. Now, how the OP views intelligence....jury's out.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:32 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
America is entrepreneurially innovative, but very backwards and even un-Western (in some aspects) politically.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I can kind of see where this question is going but I do have to say that the Democrats and the liberals seem obsessed with the notion of 'genius' and promoting this assumption that everyone needs to go to college and major in STEM. I think it's a product of the "geek" , "nerd" culture that has permeated popular culture the last decade or so. Social media/pop culture is saturated with images of the cool nerd or geek out there taking the initiative to come up with a start up or the "creative class" (as coined by the liberal press) surging in major metro areas, and that it's an affront on the supposed dumb "Alpha" male that they associate with white working class conservative Middle America.

I think this culture is straight up annoying and pretentious. I am a college educated male but I don't feel the need to tout my credentials in front of a working class guy's face and scoff when he says things should be simple.

I went to a college where my classmates were the most policy wonkish, technocratic nerds that followed the latest academic trends and knew nothing of the reality on the ground so taking their input on everything even outside of their expertise was always questionable to me. I didn't think there was anything cool in their and this current culture's celebration of anything introverted, geeky, and social awkward.

One thing I loved about what Trump said is that he was going to expand access to technical trade schools so that Americans can have other options other than spending their hard earned money taking core classes in an expensive four year college. He said that there are intelligent kids out there who would be better served having access to trades and mechanical schools than studying Gender theory in some college.

I think some of the best minds I know are guys who didn't go to college and were self taught. Besides America was an innovative machine of a country during the last century and they didn't celebrate this as "geek culture" but instead it was included in being a "red blooded Alpha male". I am talking of guys like Buzz Aldrin.

To answer your question, NO, the average American is not afraid of the
"super intelligent". In fact I think the premise of this thread is for the OP to pass judgment on the average American as a troglodyte while everyone else are passing them up and making them look like a bitter clinger.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:55 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Intellectuals have brought us holocausts, genocides and famine.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I can kind of see where this question is going but I do have to say that the Democrats and the liberals seem obsessed with the notion of 'genius' and promoting this assumption that everyone needs to go to college and major in STEM. I think it's a product of the "geek" , "nerd" culture that has permeated popular culture the last decade or so. Social media/pop culture is saturated with images of the cool nerd or geek out there taking the initiative to come up with a start up or the "creative class" (as coined by the liberal press) surging in major metro areas, and that it's an affront on the supposed dumb "Alpha" male that they associate with white working class conservative Middle America.

I think this culture is straight up annoying and pretentious. I am a college educated male but I don't feel the need to tout my credentials in front of a working class guy's face and scoff when he says things should be simple.

I went to a college where my classmates were the most policy wonkish, technocratic nerds that followed the latest academic trends and knew nothing of the reality on the ground so taking their input on everything even outside of their expertise was always questionable to me. I didn't think there was anything cool in their and this current culture's celebration of anything introverted, geeky, and social awkward.

One thing I loved about what Trump said is that he was going to expand access to technical trade schools so that Americans can have other options other than spending their hard earned money taking core classes in an expensive four year college. He said that there are intelligent kids out there who would be better served having access to trades and mechanical schools than studying Gender theory in some college.

I think some of the best minds I know are guys who didn't go to college and were self taught. Besides America was an innovative machine of a country during the last century and they didn't celebrate this as "geek culture" but instead it was included in being a "red blooded Alpha male". I am talking of guys like Buzz Aldrin.

To answer your question, NO, the average American is not afraid of the
"super intelligent". In fact I think the premise of this thread is for the OP to pass judgment on the average American as a troglodyte while everyone else are passing them up and making them look like a bitter clinger.

Mmmmm. Yet again the leftist mantra of superior intellect, superior societal conscience, etc. The whole image of leftist academia standing around in togas debating the nature of the universe. Got it. Yes indeed, this notion that non university educated people, particularly those with rural backgrounds, can only be devoid of intelligence and any type of outside the box mental ability. Indeed, the air must be thin up there on Olympus, as it does seem to be effecting brains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies