Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 11:57 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The government has taken money I could be investing and using it for the crapfest they call SS.

If you have a job, look at your pay stub. You'll see the government takes money that you could invest for retirement and uses it to fund the SS Ponzi Scheme.
Yeah, you could have put it all with Bernie Madoff, or Bear Sterns, or any of the crashed an burned Ponzi schemes of the past, those Wall Street adventurers took the money and gave us, the taxpayers, the tab for reimbursement. The "crapfest" then wasn't SS but moreover the circus of dishonesty surrounding the very construct you are advocating for. I got my SS check throughout that period 08--to the present, and I'm thankful that my earned SS dollars weren't so cavalierly taken by crooks for their own enjoyment.

When your "investment" is squandered and the government does nothing to the crooks who spent your money why would you trust that construct anymore than the government that allowed it to happen? I'm waiting for the Wall Streeters to further this kind of fleecing to become the replacement for SS, I don't trust anybody, but up against the wall, I'll take the government, warts and all, over the Wall Street crowd..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,285 posts, read 591,996 times
Additionally, the Urban Institute only looked at actual SS benefits, they didn't count the Medicare return those same people will be receiving.

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
You're conflating SS with Medicare. It IS true that most people LOSE on SS. Even the SS Admin admits that. As far as Medicare tax... it's not capped. So only higher income earners lose money on that. The middle class tends to break even. And, as usual, society's slackers make out like bandits.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:02 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Yeah, you could have put it all with Bernie Madoff, or Bear Sterns, or any of the crashed an burned Ponzi schemes of the past, those Wall Street adventurers took the money and gave us, the taxpayers, the tab for reimbursement. The "crapfest" then wasn't SS but moreover the circus of dishonesty surrounding the very construct you are advocating for. I got my SS check throughout that period 08--to the present, and I'm thankful that my earned SS dollars weren't so cavalierly taken by crooks for their own enjoyment.

When your "investment" is squandered and the government does nothing to the crooks who spent your money why would you trust that construct anymore than the government that allowed it to happen? I'm waiting for the Wall Streeters to further this kind of fleecing to become the replacement for SS, I don't trust anybody, but up against the wall, I'll take the government, warts and all, over the Wall Street crowd..
Fidelity
Vanguard
Schwabb
T. Rowe Price
Franklin Templeton
Oppenheimer

Those are some of the top 10 fund management companies in the country with stellar ethics, fund performance, customer service, and a history of being able to be trusted, yet you cherry pick a handful of the biggest and sketchiest names/companies out there. I'd feel 100% more safe if my money was with any of those companies, and in fact it is with two of them rather than the government. Let the government set the rules, but let one or more of those companies manage the funds using some of their more stable, safe, and low cost funds.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:05 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
We have a real f'ing problem on our hands if we are going to dumb down society to cater to people who cant function past a 6-8th grade math level, thats just unacceptable. For the 100th time I'll say that we do need to protect those who have limitations and would otherwise be destitute, but if you are a US citizen who can't pass 6-8th grade math that is a huge problem, and to claim that the vast majority fall into this category to the point where we need to cater SS to their needs seems like total BS.

Scholastic is my source for this based on their lesson plan on compound interest
Lesson 3: Interest and Bank Accounts | Scholastic.com
Calling people idiots for not wanting to go back to 60% poverty rate among seniors is quite a statement. Unless you WANT to see millions of seniors starve and die and beg in the streets, you will have to support them somehow anyway. SS is an insurance policy to create a certain floor for everyone so we dont turn into a third world hellhole which Paul Ryan, Trump and his cronies are preparing.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:07 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Calling people idiots for not wanting to go back to 60% poverty rate among seniors is quite a statement. Unless you WANT to see millions of seniors starve and die and beg in the streets, you will have to support them somehow anyway. SS is an insurance policy to create a certain floor for everyone so we dont turn into a third world hellhole which Paul Ryan, Trump and his cronies are preparing.
When are you going to stop making up things that you think I said. Please point to where I called people idiots, and if you can't please refrain from replying to my posts.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not buying it. As I've already posted, MOST people LOSE money on SS. They would have been better off stuffing their SS tax money into their mattresses realizing no gain whatsoever. They'd end up having more money.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:08 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're conflating SS with Medicare. It IS true that most people LOSE on SS. Even the SS Admin admits that. As far as Medicare tax... it's not capped. So only higher income earners lose money on that. The middle class tends to break even. And, as usual, society's slackers make out like bandits.
To claim that the middle class "break even" on Medicare so it doesnt matter whether we privatize it or not is preposterous.

Your callous and crude description of the disabled, the poor and disadvantaged though really says alot about you.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
To claim that the middle class "break even" on Medicare so it doesnt matter whether we privatize it or not is preposterous.
The THREAD TOPIC is SS. And even the SS Admin admits that most people LOSE money on SS.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not buying it. As I've already posted, MOST people LOSE money on SS. They would have been better off stuffing their SS tax money into their mattresses realizing no gain whatsoever. They'd end up having more money.
When people pay into SS, they are not stuffing their money into a personal account and then withdrawing that plus interest. The money is spent supporting current beneficiaries.

So are you saying we should stop supporting current beneficiaries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies