Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:06 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's not preposterous. As usual, the only people who gain is the slacker/taker class.
Yes it is preposterous. Medicare has no cap and the middle class benefit greatly from it.

And the big money donor class who buy your politician see YOU as a slacker and taker as well, you just like to feel that you are so much better than the disabled, the poor and the vulnerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 01:08 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
When you claim that you are not portraying anyone as idiots with such comments, just because they dont want to hand over SS to Wall Street, you are really not being honest with yourself.
Again, my comment was not correlating peoples comprehension of math to not wanting to turn over SS to private parties. But please continue to chop my quotes down to misleading snippets that you then turn around on me.

I'm going to go back to ignoring you because your intents here are obviously rooted in savage, malicious intent to deceive, and not to be honest about the conversation or your motives.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:19 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,695 times
Quote:
It's not even a taxes paid = benefits received system anymore. It's a LOSING proposition for most people, as even the SS Admin admits. How do you not get that?
It's a fallacious argument.
SS is not an investment instrument, it is not the same thing as putting your money into a market account.

It is a social pact that has existed basically since civilization started whereby people pony up to support the old, disabled and sick.
https://www.ssa.gov/history/briefhistory3.html

Old 11-23-2016, 01:29 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Yes it is preposterous. Medicare has no cap and the middle class benefit greatly from it.
No, because there's no cap, the low-income benefit from it. Everyone else overpays.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:31 PM

You're like someone complaining about your local property taxes.

But i don't go down those particular roads so why should i pay for their lighting and upkeep?

Old 11-23-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
It's a fallacious argument.
SS is not an investment instrument, it is not the same thing as putting your money into a market account.
Why not just let people opt out of SS from the very beginning? Most would come out ahead even if they stuffed those SS tax $ in a mattress and realized no gain whatsoever. That has been going on since the mid 1980s, for 30 years. There can't be that many 95+ year olds. Just give everyone back the SS tax $ they've paid.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Why not just let people opt out of SS from the very beginning?
Because it's needed to support current beneficiaries. If we stopped contributing, what do suggest should happen to them?

Quote:
Most would come out ahead even if they stuffed those SS tax $ in a mattress and realized no gain whatsoever. That has been going on since the mid 1980s, for 30 years. There can't be that many 95+ year olds. Just give everyone back the SS tax $ they've paid.
Hey if the US system isn't to your liking, you know where the door is.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You're like someone complaining about your local property taxes.

But i don't go down those particular roads so why should i pay for their lighting and upkeep?
If everyone received the same access to equal benefits as is true with the property tax, there would be no complaint. But they don't. Both SS and Medicare disproportionately favor the slacker/taker class.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Because it's needed to support current beneficiaries.
Why? Why didn't the government perform their required fiduciary responsibility and invest that money for a return that added to the total?
Quote:
If we stopped contributing, what do suggest should happen to them?
Like I said, most people have been losing money on SS since the mid 1980s. That's 30 years. There aren't that many 95+ year olds. Just give everyone back what they've paid into the system and abolish it.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Why? Why didn't the government perform their required fiduciary responsibility and invest that money for a return that added to the total?
I don't know let's go back in time and ask them.
But maybe, just maybe it's connected to the reality that those 'private investments' lost everything during the crash and were not to be trusted with public money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies