Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 12:14 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
OMG, I give up, I'm not sure if you are being intentionally obtuse or if you are truly that naive but it's just not worth my time to worry about it
So ensuring you can eat and have shelter in the future is not a necessity? Do you quit work each month once your bills are paid and start looking for a new job when new bills come due? It may not be priority 1, but it should certainly be priority 1A or 1B, which is my point, many people make it priority 5D, if even that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Take every dollar that was taken out of your check for SS and double it. Then figure out what you would have at a market return of 5%.
I believe its more like 7% than 5%

Old 11-22-2016, 12:18 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You keep asking pretend questions when I've been very specific about what I do/don't support. Just because you start a sentence with "SO you DO support...xyz" doesn't make it true....I mean like you haven't said so yet but I'm only left to assume that YOU DO support raping baby elephants after they have been harvested for their ivory tusks, right? Explain that one immediately, its horrible and only in your Darwinian world would people like you ever support such a thing.
You just dont want to admit that you support the donor class.

Its clear what you support. Eliminating SS and SSDI and huge tax breaks for the donor class and Wall Street (masked as "tax breaks for all"). Reducing the power of government to regulate and ensure oversight as money (after being given trillions in tax breaks) will be flooding into the political system by special interests to gut oversight. You tell us what can go wrong.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:19 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,695 times
I agree with the principle that people should take more interest in their retirement savings etc and make a plan.
However the reality is that most people probably will not, are not capable, or just cannot.

If private retirement savings and investments are better i think those results should bear-out organically without the added threats to SS.

Since that does not seem to be the case and instead we have broadsides directed at SS and 'entitlements' in general, it appears to be driven more by political ideology than anything else.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its clear what you support. Eliminating SS and SSDI and huge tax breaks for the donor class and Wall Street (masked as "tax breaks for all"). Reducing the power of government to regulate and ensure oversight as money (after being given trillions in tax breaks) will be flooding into the political system by special interests to gut oversight. You tell us what can go wrong.
See, you literally misrepresent and basically re-write what you WANT my opinion to be, not what it actually is. You continue to misrepresent everything I've said in order to advance your own leftist talking points.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yeah, sure except the guy who pushed for the program only got benefits for 10 years and then he had to rely on Social Security he accrued prior to the program oops!

"Ray Holbrook, a former Galveston County judge who led the charge to opt out of Social Security during his 28-year tenure. “That’s why it’s bankrupt, and that’s why Rick Perry says it’s a Ponzi scheme, which I agree with...Even Mr. Holbrook has outlived his Alternate Plan benefits. When he retired 15 years ago, he decided to receive $1,500 to $2,000 from his Alternate Plan account every month for 10 years. Now, his Alternate Plan account is empty. Fortunately, Mr. Holbrook has other savings and, ultimately, $1,300 a month in Social Security benefits from his 27 years of contributions before his county dropped out of the program." How Privatized Social Security Works in Galveston - The New York Times
At what age did he retire?

Did he only work for 27 years?

What was his salary?

If he only worked for 27 years at a fairly low salary, of course it won't last long.

How many people only work for 27 years?

Old 11-22-2016, 12:24 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
See, you literally misrepresent and basically re-write what you WANT my opinion to be, not what it actually is. You continue to misrepresent everything I've said in order to advance your own leftist talking points.
No, you just dont like that your policies of privatization, gutting regulation and huge tax breaks for the donor class is called what it truly is. Thats the problem. You just claim that people are lazy and irresponsible and that if only Wall Street are given more gifts and people sign up to a personal finance course, it will be much better for the disabled and elderly in America. Its very naive and downright dangerous.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No, you just dont like that your policies of privatization, gutting regulation and huge tax breaks for the donor class is called what it truly is. Thats the problem. You just claim that people are lazy and irresponsible and that if only Wall Street are given more gifts and people sign up to a personal finance course, it will be much better for the disabled and elderly in America. Its very naive and downright dangerous.
No, whats dangerous are compulsive liars like yourself that can't engage in a conversation without re-writing what I said and trying to put words in my mouth.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:31 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
At what age did he retire?

Did he only work for 27 years?

What was his salary?

If he only worked for 27 years at a fairly low salary, of course it won't last long.

How many people only work for 27 years?
That will be my own scenario.
I lived overseas for many years and earned no income in the US during those years.
I still was compelled to file a federal tax return though, foreign earned income under 80K is exempted.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:11 AM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Not really. They would not have the 50% that their employers paid into Social Security.
You don't understand. They won't even get what THEY paid into SS. What their employers paid in isn't even factored into the calculation. All that money, what the employers paid, is just gone. Read the AP article I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies