Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:48 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,432,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I know many computer engineers and they say Amazon is one of the WORST places to work in for the Tech industry.
Cool story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 11:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,589,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You must not know a lot about Amazon... I know many computer engineers and they say Amazon is one of the WORST places to work in for the Tech industry... Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Zynga were the top... but I hear the same thing about working in Walmart... Amazon = Walmart in terms of satisfaction levels... The only reason I shop at Walmart are toys, pharmacy, and food (not all the food) and its literally 5 minutes away from my house.... There are many companies willing to step into Amazon's shoes like Jet... I won't have them spilling propaganda full of lies and deceit with my money...
Are they indentured servants? Or just lazy?

Huge amount of mobility in that industry. Anyone who can't find a better fitting job isn't trying.

Of course, this didn't address the other poster's main point, which was that Amazon employs hundreds of thousands of people directly and indirectly.
I thought y'all were all about jobs and yet here you are advocating for putting those people out on the street by hoping their employer fails.

Interesting double-standard there.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Boy, they are hard to boycott, but they have 2 major strikes against them:
1. Jeff Bezos owns WaPo which is nothing but an anti-Trump tabloid.
2. Their new ad tries to morally equate murderous Islam with peaceful Christianity
Boycott whomever you choose but I doubt whomever it is will even notice.
I am not part of your *we* so no, *we* should not boycott Amazon but you are free to do so if you want.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:35 PM

30,425 posts, read 21,645,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Did the ad depicting the Christian and the Muslim being friends and ordering knee braces upset the alt right? Excellent!

Note to self: renew WaPo subscription and do all Black Friday shopping on Amazon.
"Support Your Neighborhood Bookstore"
^^

Last edited by LS Jaun; 11-22-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 12:49 PM

30,425 posts, read 21,645,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Okay but the Branch Davidians read the bible and came to some pretty bizarre conclusions. They died in the Waco compound.

Jim Jones was a Methodist preacher for a time. Responsible for over 900 deaths

FLDS promotes child rape and polygamy.

And that is not ever reaching back more than 20 or 30 years YET we don't paint all Christians as these folks were.

Doubtless Islamic Radicalism is a huge issue the world over. It's ideology backwards and violent. However the two most populated Muslim countries - Indonesia and India are largely very peaceful. Let's try not to generalize too much lest we sound discriminatory.
Indonesia: Largely Anti Athiest, Anti Gay and Gay marriage and getting worse.

"The “Global Divide on Homosexuality” study surveyed 37, 653 people in 39 countries. It found Indonesians were overwhelming opposed to homosexuality, with 93 percent saying that gay people should not be accepted."
Indonesia Among World's Least Accepting Countries of Homosexuality: Pew | Jakarta Globe

Theres that peaceful Sharia law thing again
"Atheism is not tolerated in Indonesia, it violates the first principle of Pancasila (the Indonesian constitution) and Islamic Sharia law"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Indonesia

India's peaceful Muslim tradition "peaceful" huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dents_in_India

Last edited by LS Jaun; 11-22-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 12:58 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,999,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Google "Mein Kampf". Liberal bookseller Amazon is right there on the first page selling it.

Boycott is a joke.
And? Are only conservatives allowed to play that game called 'capitalism'?

Old 11-22-2016, 01:23 PM

3,747 posts, read 1,716,128 times
Sad that so many here have a problem with the ad, it was based on peace. Isn't that what we want for one another?

Old 11-22-2016, 03:27 PM

9,126 posts, read 5,757,767 times
I hate boycotts. They are a blunt instrument and innocents are trampled under foot.
The other day, people wanted to boycott Chili's because a vet was disrespected by a manager.
That manager ain't a manager no more. Boycotting a chain of restaurants that was
offering free meals to vets on Veteran's Day, because of an incident at one location
is remarkably stupid. How many gay owned businesses were harmed by the
North Carolina boycott? Just collateral damage?

Old 11-22-2016, 03:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,148,227 times
I love love love Amazon--it's fabulous.

You go ahead and boycott--we'll get our deliveries even faster.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,741,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I hate boycotts. They are a blunt instrument and innocents are trampled under foot.
The other day, people wanted to boycott Chili's because a vet was disrespected by a manager.
That manager ain't a manager no more. Boycotting a chain of restaurants that was
offering free meals to vets on Veteran's Day, because of an incident at one location
is remarkably stupid. How many gay owned businesses were harmed by the
North Carolina boycott? Just collateral damage?
I like boycotts, it sends a message to not just Chili but to every organization that chooses to do something blatantly wrong, that it is unacceptable... Why does it take a boycott for a company to do the right thing? That should be your question... its not the people's fault... boycott are the result of the company's fault, if they want to do business, they better dang sure, they aren't effing it up... their employers can blame the company for its mistakes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies