Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 04:03 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why are they touching a sacred burial site? I thought that those were off limits?

And I agree that using a water hose on them in frigid temperatures is unacceptable use of force. Surely they have other ways to disperse people.

Like we haven't screwed the NDNs enough? Just fricken go around the damn lake, ffs.

Edit: I just went through all of those links, and the photos disgust me beyond belief. There's something grotesque about militarized police attacking NDNs. GD that pisses me off. Leave them the F alone, reroute the stupid pipeline. Who cares if it costs more, enough of this crap with f-en with the NDNs.
There were no burial sites. Three separate archeological firms confirmed this. Not to mention, the location that they were saying was a sacred burial site, had an already existing natural gas pipe in it, would have been surveyed for such artifacts 10 years ago when we built it (and yes... my family helped build it) and if in fact we run across anything that no one knows is there during construction we are shut down indefinitely until the problem is rectified. It's happened more than once for bones later to be found to be a coyote, or cow, or name it. Only once have I seen a crew turn up human remains... And it solved a long, lost murder.

Also 3Wolves.... it's not a lake. It's a river....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 04:03 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
These people need to get a grip. They want free land, free education, free food, free healthcare and free retirement courtesy of the American taxpayer. Well... that means we need to be able to drive our cars to WORK to pay for their lazy butts. That requires oil. It must be nice to be able to spend your days hanging out with friends, drinking booze and "protesting."
Are you fricken kidding me right now?

Old 11-22-2016, 04:13 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Oddly enough, the location of this "sacred ground" was unknown and only declared to be "sacred" one day before it was bulldozed.

Destruction of Sacred Burial Grounds Prompts Federal Judge to Protect Some Tribal Sites from Dakota Access Pipeline | DeSmogBlog

I use the word "sacred" in quotations not because it is an Indian site, but because I don't believe very many things are sacred, especially a patch of land that only recently was discovered to be "sacred".
Put an ancient artifact on it and I am impressed; wave your hand around and I am not.

It's the 21st century. Cemeteries (if they exist) get bulldozed all the time.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Given all that was taken from the Native Americans, I find this a less than compelling argument.
People talk like this land "belongs" to Indians. Indians didn't come up from the dust here. They are actually Chinese who migrated here centuries ago. The real natives are the animals that we mostly slaughtered (like the bison).

Old 11-22-2016, 05:16 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
lisan....

Here is something just sent to me..... as a resident of the area I didn't know if you'd seen it or not.....

http://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry...injured-woman/

Old 11-22-2016, 05:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
People talk like this land "belongs" to Indians. Indians didn't come up from the dust here. They are actually Chinese who migrated here centuries ago. The real natives are the animals that we mostly slaughtered (like the bison).

Recent genetic and archaeological research shows Indians' ancestry/ genealogy is up to a 1/3 European and the remainder E. Asian from a European culture that traveled East on to the Americas.

DNA Analysis Shows Native Americans Had European Roots - SPIEGEL ONLINE
Quote:
the boy, who died some 12,600 years ago, came from the Clovis culture. It was one of the earliest New World groups, disappearing mysteriously a few centuries after the child's burial in present day Montana. From the summit of a hill towering over the burial site near the Yellowstone River, the boy's Ice Age contemporaries could monitor their hunting grounds for mammoth and bison.
Now a team of scientists led by the Danish geneticist Eske Willerslev has analyzed the boy's origins and discovered that he descends from a Siberian tribe with roots tracing back to Europe. Some of the boy's ancestors are likely even to have lived in present-day Germany.
Their findings go even further: More than 80 percent of all native peoples in the Americas -- from the Alaska's Aleuts to the Maya of Yucatan to the Aymaras along the Andes -- are descended from Montana boy's lineage
Anyway pre-colonial America was not a united nation, and up until more recently a land only belonged to a group as long as they were able and willing to defend it.

Last edited by mtl1; 11-22-2016 at 05:48 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 05:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Are you fricken kidding me right now?
Its what's happened.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:32 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post

This pipe in downhill welded.... and if I remember correctly some sections of DAPL that I saw were 625 wall. Now this wall strength can and does change depending on terrain and obstacles... as well as every last inch is covered in a coating after each and every weld is x-ray'd and passes inspection. (Hubby's workers are coating pipe today in concrete.. different location not ND thankfully.) Is that to say that they never leak... absolutely I'm not saying that... But the ones you hear of leaking are usually old lines well past their life expectancy, but we're seeing here a prime example of why we are not allowed to take up and replace them at a pace that would keep up. The line that leaked last month in Alabama was put in service in 1964 running pure refined gasoline. Just another part of our failing infrastructure. And we saw what one line going out of service did to the whole southeast for three weeks. Astronomical price increases, shortages, and downright panic.
Well I'd say we're on the same page in the same book here. Lmao, Ummm yea, a ductile iron petroleum transport line? And one this big to boot. I'm not seeing it either. Even Corps of Engineers couldn't be that special brand of stupid.
I've seen corners cut over my decades in the field, and the number of problems on any given project has always been in direct proportion to the number of engineers assigned to it. But I've never seen anything remotely as lucicrous as a ductile iron cross country petroleum transport line.

That would be one for my scrapbook and a prime example of what NOT to do. Bwahahaha!

Old 11-22-2016, 06:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Any hearts and minds the anti-pipe people are trying to win are rapidly turning the other way as we read through the thread and lie after lie about the pipeline, water, amputated arms, peaceful protest and so forth unravel.
They are winning. This is a fight the government simply can't win.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:54 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ductile iron? They can't use either ductile or cast iron for a pipeline like this. Neither can be welded. All joints have to be mechanical, which is not legal by any guidelines I know of state or federal for chemicals or petroleum products. Where did you get the skinny they had been cleared to use ductile? Water systems don't even use ductile much any more. Or cast. C900 plastic is the standard for water now, and a petroleum pipeline like this would have to be a minimum of schedule 80 steel. 120 would be more likely.

Ductile or cast just won't do. The joining methods are not designed for petroleum products. But hey, if you've got access to specs on this project that specify ductile, I'd like to see them. I've never seen ductile on anything but very old water systems. They still make it, but it's not exactly a popular material for either cost or ease of install.
Quite frankly, it sucks.
Good information, thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies