Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 07:40 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,352,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh yea. I forgot. Social media is the only source for these protesters to get out the truth. Having worked a LOT with ACOE and in DoD for most of my working career in plumbing/pipe fitting I can say that both agencies can put of stuff that's dumber than a bag of hammers in the way of specs on projects. But, never have I seen anything on the level of lunacy he's claiming here.

ACoE does listen to its contractors. They can be ...obstinate...on specifications (the government as a whole does not like to admit error) but a SNAFU on the level he's describing would NOT go unhallenged. Contractors must guarantee their work. Regardless of what the specs say, and even if the work is straight to spec, if it leaks they have to fix it at their cost. There are caveats to that, but all in all errors will be addressed.

ACoE may have about the least field experienced engineers, but I can't see even them specifically naming ductile iron as a material for a project like this. A line of this size and type will need things like expansion joints and serious valving, (shutoffs, checks, even pressure reducing and regulators of massive proportion) that ductile just will NOT accomodate. Nor is the material approved for such application from the manufacturer on up.

Thus even the suggestion it was even considered for this pronect, by anyone, makes me call total BS. Thus, any "information" posted by anyone who could buy that much BS and accept it as gospel is more than suspect. As a field installer, I've had my share of bumping heads with engineers. But they've gotten better over the last 20 years or so with engineering firms, including ACoE, requiring that before being sent to the design floor, even with a degree from Super Duper University, an engineer must have a requisite amount of field experience. Hands on. That has made for way better designers.

So, our ever so in the know poster here will have to forgive me if I don't see Facebook as a credible source here. For anything related to this project, from supposed "rubber stamped" specs to worms eye on the protest. I'd be embarrassed to have put up that stuff.
So we have you, who has knowledge and a good understanding of how these projects work pointing out how he isn't making sense. Then there is myself with local news reports who also knows people who have gone over there for both sides pointing out how he is wrong...

But Facebook.

I wonder if he'd accept photos off of Morton county sheriff's page of one of the blown propane tanks that caused one of the protesters to get seriously injured. After all it is on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 09:13 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
This is not their fight.
It actually is if they would get the political stick out of their eyes.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:18 AM

57,036 posts, read 26,001,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Where are the Oathkeepers?
They are very selective with their protests, this isn't their demographic.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:20 AM

57,036 posts, read 26,001,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You got that right. The protest is growing. The government is going to lose this one.

Veterans
Obama can leave this bucket of worms for Trump, not going to be easy.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:27 AM

34,734 posts, read 16,746,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
This isn't about burial grounds. This isn't about some treaty. This is about them being hijacked by paid terrorist sent in to destroy the oil business. Spoiled rotten children for the most part, that have nothing better to do than cause trouble. A list was released by local authorities showing names, ages, and address of those arrested. And how many were from ND? Five. All the rest were political terrorist from as far away as New York and New England.
Not a surprise. These are people who think that gasoline comes from a pump and that heating oil comes out of the hose in the back of their house. Their cries of anguish ring loud when there is a shortage. At that time, the oil companies are conspiring to limit supply and drive up prices. These are the same activists (probably different people but similar people) Who was really shut down coastal drilling after an oil spill or Santa Barbara, California in 1969 and stalled the building of the trans-Eliska pipeline between 1970 to 1973. The embargo fixed that problem fast. During the 19 73–74 shortage, and again in 1979, the same people who opposed it obstructed energy development accused the fuel industry of creating those shortages.

Quote:
And for those of you who think they are winning, you best think again....When the judge ruled that the gas company had done everything by the book, even at times going over and above what it was legally charged to do, your buddy Obama stepped in (where he didn't belong) and decided to give one last screwing to the gas company. Ironically enough though, it was just another nail in Hillary's coffin.
Quote:
A lot of pipeline and oil affiliated union members voted Republican for the very first time due to his actions. And come January 20th.... those few hundred feet of line not finished will be, and then those of you thinking you are "winning" may be able to say you won a few battles but you will have lost the war. Was it going to be worth The line will be complete, Trump will be president, and Obama's legacy will be remembered for things just such as this.
I happen to be a Democrat, and fairly liberal. But I remember clearly how during the Carter and ministration the Democrats made in ideologically charged determination that there was not much energy left to be found in North America. The prolonged a virtual empire of price controls and allocations designed to distribute a limited commodity in a politically motivated manner. When Ronald Reagan was inaugurated president in 1981, he promptly discontinued controls on the oil industry. Controls on natural gas expired later. Not supposedly, prices plunged and supply increased after these controls were eliminated. These same people then came up with various obstacles. First was the "ozone hole." Next was "global warming" (later called "climate change").

During 2007 and 2008, there were numerous articles about "peak oil." These articles have become scarce indeed since the development of shell oil and Frak Ing, and the accompanying price drops in 2014 to current date. What we now have or these hysterical protests on some very creative grounds such as nonexistent Indian burial sites.

The elites love to engage in intellectual exercises about these issues, while the masses simply want inexpensive and readily available energy. That is one of the reasons why he Reagan and now Trump got elected.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You are aware that there is pretty strong evidence suggesting that the Native Americans (as we currently know them) were not the first in North America, right? Anyways, the Mexicans and Spaniards were warring against and killing Natives here long before Europeans were. Where is the outcry over that? Oh, there is none because they aren't "white", right?
I don't likely generally on your side on this issue. However, one should be very careful about who gets 20 are you "first." The Great Rift Valley of Africa would be very crowded place if everybody returned to their ancestors' place of origin.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Places have been conquered and the previous residents killed all the time throughout history. It's what people used to do, in a way it's what people STILL do. I don't get too hung up on it or place so much bitter blame. It is what it is, we can't change it.
When more advanced people meet primitive people, the outcome is almost always tragic. Other examples are the fate of the Australian aborigines, and Arabs living in what is now the state of Israel. The Amazonian natives in Brazil or nowadays faring no better.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:54 AM

1,008 posts, read 485,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It actually is if they would get the political stick out of their eyes.
how so? the pipeline is on private property.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:22 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
how so? the pipeline is on private property.
We did this long ago.....this has nothing to do with my argument BUT rivers are NOT private property.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:06 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,571,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
So we have you, who has knowledge and a good understanding of how these projects work pointing out how he isn't making sense. Then there is myself with local news reports who also knows people who have gone over there for both sides pointing out how he is wrong...

But Facebook.

I wonder if he'd accept photos off of Morton county sheriff's page of one of the blown propane tanks that caused one of the protesters to get seriously injured. After all it is on Facebook.
Indeed. I always have to laugh at these people who get all coyote yipping at the moon using information gleaned from social media. Sheesh the Enquierer is a better news and information source. To me, if someone starts citing technical information about a project like this it would pay to have some sort of actual knowledge and/or experience in said Te hnical aspects before spouting off and getting laughed at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies