U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM

66,240 posts, read 30,169,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
There is no such thing as artificial subversion of the process because any actions we take become a part of the natural process.
If voluntarily, yes. Forced taxation to pay for unearned welfare isn't voluntary.

Why not just implement a voluntary charity system and end taxation that pays for unearned welfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 PM

4,887 posts, read 1,347,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It is. I gave a very clear example.
F**k can we not get into -
no its not
yes it is
no its not
yes it is

Wealth is a factor in human mate selection, but unless you are saying it is literally the only factor it is not an example of evolutionary non-fitness to be poor. For example, you could be poor with a perfect body, handsome face, and 6 pack abs and be on the upper end of evolutionary fitness - assuming you leverage those traits into repetitive breeding. Or you could be a rich fat disgusting slob that has a hard time finding people to breed with even with all their money. Or you could be rich and just have no interest in having kids. Or you could be a poor guy who gets by day to day on payments from the sperm bank that they donate to every single week. Or a poor woman that donates eggs. Or a rich couple that decides to adopt instead of procreate. There are so many other factors that come into play in establishing evolutionary fitness aside from wealth only.

S**t, one day we might be cloning humans, and the primary fitness indicator might be how many clones of yourself you can afford to produce.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 11-22-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
If voluntarily, yes. Forced taxation to pay for unearned welfare isn't voluntary.

Why not just implement a voluntary charity system and end taxation that pays for unearned welfare?
Voluntary or not it when it is enacted into the society we live under it becomes a part of the natural system and niche that humans occupy. That is just being a realist.

As another example, the holocaust - Completely non voluntary for those that wound up under it's heel. Still was a part of the natural evolutionary human niche at the time and place it occurred and almost certainly had some form of evolutionary impact on us as a species.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:16 PM

39,218 posts, read 40,596,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post

It would be more logical to teach creation in the schools as opposed to the evolution of life. Evolution doesn't have an explanation as to the origins while creation does.
While there is many theories the scientific community does know what sparked life and no one is claiming otherwise. Those theories are based on observations and suppositions like it arrived here from elsewhere. That is plausible because we know bacteria can survive in space for an indefinite amount of time from observations. Suggesting there is some creator simply because you do not have all the answers is not scientific.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:19 PM

13,559 posts, read 5,463,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Reach much?
Who is pushing for teaching creationism?
I live in the bible belt and have never heard of creationism being taught in any public school.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitz...chool_District

Old 11-22-2016, 12:24 PM

10,963 posts, read 4,820,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Many health products have the same limitations. Not that I'm agreeing with it but I can't just go out and buy codeine.

Do those regulations apply apply to all facilities where similar medical procedures would occur or just abortion clinics?
I'm not saying that some regulations aren't necessary. Just that they are impediments to using contraceptives to their fullest potential as a society for the purposes of preventing unsuccessful people from breeding.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:27 PM

I think another confusion is that people assume "Evolutionary Fitness" should mean that we produce something "better" than the previous iteration each time. The problem is, the human definition of "better" doesn't really match up with the biological definition. An argument could easily be made from the biological perspective that ants are "better" than humans, but from a human perspective not many people would say that an ant is "better" than a human.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:29 PM

10,963 posts, read 4,820,283 times
Quote:
If one has earned the means to support the result, then no, it won't. Why have procreative sex if one can't support the possible consequence? There are sexual activities in which one can participate that doesn't result in pregnancy.
Very true.

But those who can't seem to comprehend or practice this are likely among those who really shouldn't be having kids.

So why not make it as easy as humanly possible for them to not have children? Sure beats welfare or tripping over their corpses while walking to work each morning.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:43 PM

8,090 posts, read 4,695,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Umm... did you attend a public school?

I agree that it needs work, but they (at least the one I attended) aren't teaching blind authority, and certainly not to the government. You might have to respect your teacher, under the argument that you'll have to respect your boss in the "real world," but I was never told I had to like Obama or whatever. Plenty of public schools could work on challenging thought but the meme that they're super indoctrination camps just isn't accurate. I'm sure you can find examples, but the fact that this isn't true of all public schools invalidates your original argument, which is that public school are the real evil.

And indeed, creationism is not useful to the government. Or anyone, accepts charlatans and con-artsits. Those people are not useful to anyone though either, so indeed, creationism is useless. At least we agree on that (kind of).
Again, why exactly do you think public schools exist? They exist to serve the interests of the government. If they were not beneficial to the government, they wouldn't exist. Period.

What I'm saying is, public-schools exist to condition the minds of children, to turn them into citizens. And what do you think a citizen is?

Part of that conditioning is in regimenting their behavior. Getting them used to going to bed, waking up, going to school, doing their work, not causing problems, obeying authority, and learning the common culture.

To be a citizen, is to be loyal to the state, to be obedient to the state, to further the interests of the state. The education system exists to create loyal workers and soldiers. And that is why, when we go around "nation-building" around the world, the first thing we want to do, is create public-schools.

Nations cannot exist without public-schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxmWfbXS4Pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6xi8_7Fy6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omx5KrRVkMc

Old 11-22-2016, 05:27 PM

769 posts, read 593,960 times
Quote:
While there is many theories the scientific community does know what sparked life and no one is claiming otherwise.
Here's the problem with that. If for whatever reason they finally agree upon an explanation of origins that doesn't agree with the macro evolutionary theory which do you adjust? The origins or the progression?

Quote:
Those theories are based on observations and suppositions like it arrived here from elsewhere. That is plausible because we know bacteria can survive in space for an indefinite amount of time from observations.
The only thing that tells us is that bacteria can survive in space for a specific period. BTW how can you conclude that it can survive indefinitely? We can't observe that. It would be impossible.

Quote:
Suggesting there is some creator simply because you do not have all the answers is not scientific.
Making guesses on the past based on what you observe now is not scientific if you can't make accurate predictions. Predictions like bacteria surviving indefinitely in space. Impossible to observe. The scientific method would be to say that we know bacteria can survive in space for a specific period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies