U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 09:30 PM

20,322 posts, read 10,396,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Id rather people say Happy Holidays"

Why?

The name of the holiday IS Christmas.
When did Christmas move to before Thanksgiving?
It's not even December yet.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:20 PM

7,233 posts, read 6,424,901 times
Happy Christmas! Merry holidays!

Old 11-23-2016, 01:34 AM

9,661 posts, read 6,959,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Well they have a valid point, why would you want to wish someone a Merry Christmas is they do not support that holiday? It would be like them going around wishing you a Happy Hanukkah.
And if I were a Christian who celebrated Christmas I would take that wish for a Happy Chanukkah in the spirit in which it was meant, a goodwill wish, and wish the person the same right back. As a Jew myself, I wouldn't wish someone a Happy Channukah unless I knew they celebrated it, likewise I wouldn't wish Merry Christmas to someone I knew didn't celebrate it either. But I sure would to the many people around here, as well as others I know who do celebrate it.

I just don't see interpreting any wish to someone else for a Merry Christmas, or other holidays as they come up, as an occasion to take offense. To me it's sad when someone feels they have to apologize for extending what was intended as a greeting of goodwill to another person.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I have some dear Muslim friends and they wish me a Merry Christmas every year.
I would imagine a lot of them do.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The self-victimizing snow-flakery here is off the charts.
Aren't you glad Trump supporters and other folks coined that phrase "snowflakes" so you could "borrow" it for your own use? Beats original thinking, I guess.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:49 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,597,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
LOL, I was walking into the supermarket and a guy was coming out saying "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!" I stopped and applauded and said "isn't it nice that we can say that again?" Big smiles from him and a few comments about Obummer. It WAS nice to hear someone being "incorrect". Hope to hear more of it.
I never stopped hearing it or saying it, nor have I ever been given even the slightest dirty look for doing so. Good thing I was hiding out in my bunker, safe from Uncle Scrooge, who would have had me boiled in my own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through my heart.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:55 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,597,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
the Season of the Lord is a Good thing. Humanity is at peace for at least 24 hours!

I hope Christians offend all of these Agnostics and Athethus!

Marry Christmas!
Ummm...I seem to remember this odd teaching about preaching the Gospel. I don't remember deliberately offending as part of the lesson.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:07 AM

8,041 posts, read 2,385,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewby509 View Post
ive said merry christmas my whole life. i never bought the war on christmas stuff.
Congrats & all that for getting off the manufactured rollercoaster of emotions! (it's not helpful.)

Old 11-23-2016, 05:24 AM

62,638 posts, read 34,149,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Aren't you glad Trump supporters and other folks coined that phrase "snowflakes" so you could "borrow" it for your own use?
Yes, I like it since it describes themselves better than anyone else. Fragile little whiners crying about how Obama made them stop say 'Merry Christmas", even though it never even happened. Whining for the sake of whining. Yes, snowflake is a fitting word to describe them.

The word, like all words, was coined by one person, and everyone else, including Trump supporters, are only borrowing it. It originated from movie "Flight Club" in 1999 (yes, Hollywood invented it).

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-23-2016 at 06:11 AM..

Old 11-23-2016, 05:24 AM

6,554 posts, read 3,700,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
LOL, I was walking into the supermarket and a guy was coming out saying "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!" I stopped and applauded and said "isn't it nice that we can say that again?" Big smiles from him and a few comments about Obummer. It WAS nice to hear someone being "incorrect". Hope to hear more of it.
When did someone stop you from saying that? That is one of those lies that conservatives love to say, but which isn't true.

The truth is that store employees and signs started wishing happy holidays DECADES ago, to wish a happy holiday to people of all faiths, since we have shoppers of different faiths who shop in their stores.

"Happy Holidays" is an American tradition. There are old movies with the title. Holiday Inn. Home for the Holidays. Holiday Affair.

Old Christmas cards can be found that say "Happy Holidays."

Also, "Happy Holidays" includes Thanksgiving, which is the biggest shopping time of the year.

This false attack on Christmas is thought up stuff by the extremists on the right and tv Holy Rollers who want to force others to behave in the way they say, and to ignore other faiths. Which is wrong, of course.

So....Happy Holidays to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or