Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 06:15 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
"Banned Christianity" My god, stop with the faux persecution. It's embarrassing
The self-victimizing snow-flakery here is off the charts.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:16 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
You mean they really passed ordinances forbidding Nativity Scenes on private property? I've never heard of that, and can't imagine that your local sheriff would really come after a family for having that Nativity scene parked in their front yard, or something like that. IT'd be more likely they'd object if that Nativity Scene was put in a public place.
I was talking about public property. Most towns had a nativity scene somewhere, usually near a pine tree, at their town halls or town center. Private property? IDK about that. I thought I had seen a case about that once right around when my husband died and that blew everything out of the water in my world. IDK what, if anything, happened. I wouldn't think so but ya never know in the world we are (were?) living in.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I have been upset about nativities being banned from town squares and yes, they are BANNED in so many towns because lefties rule the roost. I have been upset with Merry Christmas disappearing from all sorts of holiday displays. I have never thought my speech was banned. It was just nice to hear, snowflakes. I have been upset with the homogenizing of America. This is OUR country, assimilate or get out. Funny how nicely this country ran before the likes of the Clintons got in. I am one of the guilty ones who voted for Perot and lost Papa Bush the re-election and let that snake Clinton slither in. My bad.
Like wanting everyone to say "Merry Christmas" isn't an indicator of the "homogenizing of America."

News flash: wanting everyone to assimilate means that you want a homogeneous society.

Saying "assimilate or get out" is an embrace of fascism as is forcing your religion on the entire population.

Second news flash: anyone who thinks that the country was "well run" during Johnson or Nixon must have been born yesterday.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
It is nice. I am so sick of "Happy Holidays!" There would be no holiday if it wasn't for the birth of Jesus (Yeah, I know we don't know the exact date ... but we do know it was in winter).

Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Last I noticed Jews don't wear the star of David on their striped pj s anymore.
You sound disappointed about that.

Don't worry, Dear Leader is planning to make any Muslims he doesn't ban report to him and wear some kind of badge, I hear.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:22 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
How about Thanksgiving passes before the Christmas justice warriors start attacking.
Yes. I've noticed that Thanksgiving is just a parentheses.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:23 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There would be no holiday if it wasn't for the birth of Jesus.
Is that a fact?

Old 11-22-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I always say "Merry Christmas". The only thing that bothers me is "X-Mas" but I don't get my panties in a bunch even then.

For that matter I have been wished a "Blessed Solstice" from a Pagan, to which I politely answered "Thanks; you too!" And; I live in Colorado ... home of the "Happy 4/20!"

To which I also answer "Thanks; you too!"

Whats wrong with entertaining somebody elses happiness for a brief second?
Why does "X-Mas" bother you?

"But the history of the word “Xmas” is actually more respectable — and fascinating — than you might suspect. First of all, the abbreviation predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements. It was first used in the mid 1500s. X is the Greek letter “chi,” the initial letter in the word Χριστός. And here’s the kicker: Χριστός means “Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ” for hundreds of years. This device is known as a Christogram. The mas in Xmas is the Old English word for “mass.” (The thought-provoking etymology of “mass” can be found here.) In the same vein, the dignified terms Xpian and Xtian have been used in place of the word “Christian.”"

The

Old 11-22-2016, 06:26 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Since you aren't a mind reader, how do you know the people you wish Merry Christmas are Christian or celebrate Christmas? Since you don't concern yourself with what other people celebrate, why does it matter what response you get from wishing everyone a Merry Christmas?
That was a very long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
BS.

In 1969, the American Civil Liberties Union (representing three clergymen, an atheist, and a leader of the American Ethical Society), tried to block the construction of a nativity scene on the Ellipse in Washington, D.C.

When the ACLU claimed the government sponsorship of a distinctly Christian symbol violated separation of church and state, the sponsors of the fifty-year-old Christmas celebration, Pageant of Peace, who had an exclusive permit from the Interior Department for all events on the Ellipse, responded that the nativity scene was a reminder of America's spiritual heritage.

The United States Court of Appeals ruled on December 12, 1969, that the crèche be allowed that year. The case continued until September 26, 1973, when the court ruled in favor of the plaintiffs and found the involvement of the Interior Department and the National Park Service in the Pageant of Peace amounted to government support for religion. The court opined that the nativity scene should be dropped from the pageant or the government end its participation in the event in order to avoid "excessive entanglements" between government and religion. In 1973, the nativity scene vanished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativi..._United_States
I was talking small town America and when I say "recent" I don't mean too recently. My remembrance of time is starting to get a little jumbled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Like wanting everyone to say "Merry Christmas" isn't an indicator of the "homogenizing of America."

News flash: wanting everyone to assimilate means that you want a homogeneous society.

Saying "assimilate or get out" is an embrace of fascism as is forcing your religion on the entire population.

Second news flash: anyone who thinks that the country was "well run" during Johnson or Nixon must have been born yesterday.
When I speak of assimilation I am talking about speaking English. I don't give a rat's patooty what else they do besides obey the laws.

Yes, I WAS born yesterday....many of them.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Small town America, they are loud and proud, with a church on every corner.
If you look at the election map, county by county, you can point out the places that have banned Christianity during the "Holidays". They are the Dark Blue areas.
Really?
So no churches open any longer in NYC, NJ, Colorado, California...?

I wonder why my local churches are already advertising their Advent services.
They must not have gotten the memo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies