Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 10:18 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,089,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
After the Dems dubbed the TEA Party "Tea Baggers" and the Republicans "Repugnantcans" -- which I actually thought was actually quite clever -- the entire left doesn't have much room to complain. The absolute overuse of "racist" and "sexist" and "bigot" -- it all got pretty ridiculous. Snowflakes is pretty tame by comparison. It is considerably more apt and accurate than any prior usage when applied to the wimpier segment of the left. Every single one of them unique and special and ridiculously fragile -- so don't trigger them or they might break and flee to their safe spaces. Frankly Finn, it just doesn't fit you at all.

It's not that Obama personally banned the phrase "Merry Christmas." He was just the face of the overall political correctness crusade that went way too far. I hope that the giddy Trumpettes keep it under control. This isn't a great time to resurrect every insulting word in the book. Still, end of the day, free speech and all that.
Oh,,I certainly hope people don't start insulting others! That would be terrible! Thank you for illiterating better what I was trying to say.....all about Political Correctness. I am not really political although I hate Obummer and am not crazy about Trump either to be truthful, I am just sick of Political Correctness, pure and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I believe the biggest share of the angst on this issue stems from the myriad lawsuits filed by self decried atheists and such flipping out over nativity scene in public places and Merry Christmas being said in public as being "offensive" to their faith (or rather lack of). It is a silly trend, but it's received a lot of press.

Thus was the "war on Christmas" initiated. Being as (so goes the "arguement") that we are a multicultural nation consisting of many religions and creeds and "merry Christmas" only denotes the Christian faith. Hanukkah falls in this season, now we have Kwanzaa, even the Pagans have their Solstice celebration. Meh. Whatever. So here we are. Now putting up a Nativity scene where it can be seen by others, without the Manora or maybe a pentagram or whatever Kwanzaas symbol is, opens up a lawsuit for religious exclusion under the 1a. Even displays on private property have had to be taken down because of this craziness.

So it's not really a case of victimhood so much as defensive backlash over some individual deciding to be offended and making a stink worthy of a beer swilling pit bull. (Sigh) Yes, we have to be ...all inclusive...in our holiday greetings. Or at least it's been suggested by the powers that be that we adjust accordingly so as not to chance offending someone or another. No, it's hardly a law, and you can and should speak your greetings as you see fit. I do. Hell, I've said Merry Christmas to folks and had some off the wall returns. "Saturnalia bless you" being one that sticks out. Lol, whatever.
My thanks to you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Sounds like some of you conservatives need a safe space if my telling you "Happy Holidays" gives you such pain.

There are lots of holidays in November and December. Not one of them is Christmas for me, but I don't care what you celebrate. I notice the "Merry Christmas only" crowd never seems to wish me a Happy Chanukkah, but it doesn't exactly bother me. Maybe you need a hobby?
Do you wear something that denotes you are a Jew? If I knew you were a Jew, I would use the appropriate greeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If I say Merry Christmas, a non-Christian might be offended.
If I say Happy Holidays, a Christian might be offended.
If I say nothing, that goes against my friendly and outgoing disposition and I feel like I'm being cold.

How sad and pathetic that this ever became an issue.

So I will continue to look in the eyes of friends, strangers, clerks, and various passers-by, smile a genuine smile, and with love and good will in my heart, I will exclaim whichever seasonal greeting happens to come out of my mouth. The recipient will hopefully accept it cheerfully, but if not, I meant well just the same.
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I am going to post a picture of our town manger scene for you.
Thank you, that would be nice. Please put what state it is in too. I am down south now and hope to see a difference down here.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,735,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If I say Merry Christmas, a non-Christian might be offended.
If I say Happy Holidays, a Christian might be offended.
If I say nothing, that goes against my friendly and outgoing disposition and I feel like I'm being cold.

How sad and pathetic that this ever became an issue.

So I will continue to look in the eyes of friends, strangers, clerks, and various passers-by, smile a genuine smile, and with love and good will in my heart, I will exclaim whichever seasonal greeting happens to come out of my mouth. The recipient will hopefully accept it cheerfully, but if not, I meant well just the same.
This is very true.

If I am around people who I know are fundamentalists, like family, I will always say Merry Christmas because I am sure they would be offended by Happy Holidays. If I am around people I know are secular or not Christian, I am sure to say Happy Holidays. If I am unsure, I just say whatever comes to my tongue first.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 AM

87,995 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
You think Obama prevented people from saying "Merry Christmas?"
Weird, isn't it? I have never stopped saying Merry Christmas. Neither have most people I know.

The things people will dream up just to express hatred for another person. Smh. Get a life.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:50 AM

87,995 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is very true.

If I am around people who I know are fundamentalists, like family, I will always say Merry Christmas because I am sure they would be offended by Happy Holidays. If I am around people I know are secular or not Christian, I am sure to say Happy Holidays. If I am unsure, I just say whatever comes to my tongue first.
Logical.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:55 AM

24,338 posts, read 22,891,284 times
Don't forget to wish any Celts you know a Happy Winter Solstice. I said Celts, not wiccans, BTW. Big difference.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,745,052 times
Merry Christmas!

Old 11-23-2016, 12:07 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,531,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
After the Dems dubbed the TEA Party "Tea Baggers" and the Republicans "Repugnantcans" -- which I actually thought was actually quite clever -- the entire left doesn't have much room to complain. The absolute overuse of "racist" and "sexist" and "bigot" -- it all got pretty ridiculous. Snowflakes is pretty tame by comparison. It is considerably more apt and accurate than any prior usage when applied to the wimpier segment of the left. Every single one of them unique and special and ridiculously fragile -- so don't trigger them or they might break and flee to their safe spaces. Frankly Finn, it just doesn't fit you at all.

It's not that Obama personally banned the phrase "Merry Christmas." He was just the face of the overall political correctness crusade that went way too far. I hope that the giddy Trumpettes keep it under control. This isn't a great time to resurrect every insulting word in the book. Still, end of the day, free speech and all that.
Actually, no. Movement leaders used the term themselves, evidently unaware of its sexual implications. Here is a brief history of its development. The Rachel Maddow clip is no longer available through this article, but I remember the show quite clearly.

The evolution of the word 'tea bagger'

Old 11-23-2016, 12:25 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,226,409 times
Merry Christmas when you know a person isn't a Christian? Happy Hannukah to Jewish friends. I have said Happy Solstice to a Wiccan student. I have said Happy Kwanzaa to a coworker, and Happy Ramaden (knew he converted to Islam). The husband and wife across the street from me were Jewish and Christian. I sent them a Happy Holidays card. Send TWO cards of both religions? Is Merry Christmas the PREFERRED religion?

Actually, today I consider myself to be No Religion. While I still celebrate the Secular aspect of Christmas, please don't send me any Merry Christmas cards with religious themes. Happy Holidays is fine with me. That Wiccan student probably would have appreciated a SEASONS Greetings. Fine with me too.

I really cannot understand why Christians are so offended that the entire country does not celebrate a Religious Christmas.

BTW: My neighbors are British citizens. Should I say Happy Thanksgiving to them? That would be slap in the face. Colonies, American Revolution, and all that stuff, you know.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:29 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,531,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Merry Christmas when you know a person isn't a Christian? Happy Hannukah to Jewish friends. I have said Happy Solstice to a Wiccan student. I have said Happy Kwanzaa to a coworker, and Happy Ramaden (knew he converted to Islam). The husband and wife across the street from me were Jewish and Christian. I sent them a Happy Holidays card. Send TWO cards of both religions? Is Merry Christmas the PREFERRED religion?

Actually, today I consider myself to be No Religion. While I still celebrate the Secular aspect of Christmas, please don't send me any Merry Christmas cards with religious themes. Happy Holidays is fine with me. That Wiccan student probably would have appreciated a SEASONS Greetings. Fine with me too.

I really cannot understand why Christians are so offended that the entire country does not celebrate a Religious Christmas.
Oh, stop! You are being far too reasonable.

If the point of a holiday greeting of any kind is to make a gesture of friendship, is there anything wrong with personalizing it to honor the tradition (or lack thereof) of the recipient?

<<<Unoffended Christian.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:34 PM

451 posts, read 234,235 times
Whatever you do ..... DO NOT wish these radicals a Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-25-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies