Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Words can't kill you. I promise.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
LOL, I was walking into the supermarket and a guy was coming out saying "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!" I stopped and applauded and said "isn't it nice that we can say that again?" Big smiles from him and a few comments about Obummer. It WAS nice to hear someone being "incorrect". Hope to hear more of it.
I guess the entire premise of the Christian faith is to believe they are perpetually being persecuted.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I guess the entire premise of the Christian faith is to believe they are perpetually being persecuted.
You got it half right. The entire premise is, A, first attempt to force everyone to believe and practice your religion as you dictate (does that sound like any Middle Eastern countries we know?); and B, when that fails, then don the mantle of persecution because people dared to think for themselves and refuse to be bullied by religious zealots.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:57 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You got it half right. The entire premise is, A, first attempt to force everyone to believe and practice your religion as you dictate; and B, when that fails, then don the mantle of persecution because people dared to think for themselves and refuse to be bullied by religious zealots.

That seems to be American Christianity in a nutshell.
That could describe evangelicals, not mainstream Christians. The hatred comes from both extremes, not from people who are somewhere in the middle on either side.

Some extremists think the rest of us stopped saying Merry Christmas. We didn't. I wish my Jewish friends Merry Christmas and guess what, they take it as a wish for a good day. Just ignore the extremists ON BOTH SIDES.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That could describe evangelicals, not mainstream Christians. The hatred comes from both extremes, not from people who are somewhere in the middle on either side.

Some extremists think the rest of us stopped saying Merry Christmas. We didn't. I wish my Jewish friends Merry Christmas and guess what, they take it as a wish for a good day. Just ignore the extremists ON BOTH SIDES.
I agree with the bolded. You must have been posting already when I modified my post accordingly. I don't wish to paint all American Christians with such a broad brush, as I know many good Christians who don't wish to force their beliefs on anyone else. Unlike the OP or many who agree with him.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:17 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
You got it half right. The entire premise is, A, first attempt to force everyone to believe and practice your religion as you dictate; and B, when that fails, then don the mantle of persecution because people dared to think for themselves and refuse to be bullied by religious zealots.

That seems to be American Christianity in a nutshell.
Really? I'm not seeing that. I'm a Christian myself and very rarely, even with the one loses to me who shares my Faith do we discuss it at all. Let alone insist anyone else share our beliefs to the point of force of any kind. Yea I know that a couple well known "Christian" sects go banging on doors, and then there's the televangilists and such with the pulpit pounding and fire and brimstone. Every religion on Earth has fanatics. Hardly just Christianity, and they all claim persecution for their Faith. With good cause in many cases.

The fanatics are loud if not great in number so they get exposure. With the notable exception of Islam most people of faith tend to be pretty quiet overall. We sure don't have any sort of persecution complex and. Either does anyone we know. Oh we roll our eyes at the fuss that gets kicked up when some school gets slapped with a lawsuit about a teacher mentioning the Bible or maybe over a picture of Jesus or maybe a class puts up Christmas decorations. It is kinda interesting how these flaps do seem to only stir up about Christmas or some other Christian theme. Muslim students put up some theme for Ramadan or maybe Pagans or Sikhs or even satanism do so.e display or another and we here nary a peep.

So what do we have here? Is it Christians pushing and SJWS pushing back or is it the reverse? I guess that all depends on where your standing. But bear in mind it's just media going tabloid and yanking people's chains that causes any of it. If it weren't for that we'd all just be minding our own and going on our merry.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

Merry Christmas! In GOD we Trust!!

Yes, finally after 8 years of PC culture suppression, we are at last free to be share seasonal joy in public again!
I bet you are also wishing for a "white Christmas."

Old 11-24-2016, 10:02 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I say Merry Christmas and don't worry about it. I'm happy when someone thinks to respond as they choose. Being judgmental about a stranger's choice of holiday greeting undermines the whole point of Christmas. Stay home if you don't like it. There were no Christmas Greeting Police at the manger.... none of those folks were Christians. Christians do not have a monopoly on religious holidays.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I say Merry Christmas and don't worry about it. I'm happy when someone thinks to respond as they choose. Being judgmental about a stranger's choice of holiday greeting undermines the whole point of Christmas. Stay home if you don't like it. There were no Christmas Greeting Police at the manger.... none of those folks were Christians. Christians do not have a monopoly on religious holidays.
Amen to the bold. If only people who whine because not everyone believes what they believe could truly absorb that truth, the world would be a better place. Jesus weeps at what is said and done in his name by those who purport to follow his teachings. It's obvious they've completely missed the point.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Haha No. It just seems like a coincidence that this topic comes after Trump being elected president.
Probably because those of us who are sick to death of PC culture are having a nice time hearing others being more so.

Quote:
I agree with the bolded. You must have been posting already when I modified my post accordingly. I don't wish to paint all American Christians with such a broad brush, as I know many good Christians who don't wish to force their beliefs on anyone else. Unlike the OP or many who agree with him.
Duh, seems like a lot of people read just the original post and just knee-jerk react to that and don't read the ENTIRE thread. What makes you think I want everyone to believe as I do? Believe me, not many do. What makes you think I am a man?? Duh.

Where did the op say I said Merry Christmas? Where did I say I was offended by any store employee?

Where is the nativity pic promised?

Happy to get so many snowflakes heated up and melting!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies