Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:48 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Savage View Post
This is why jobs have moved to countries where people are willing to work .
In Communist China, there is no option to not work.
If the Communist Government wants to bull doze 250 Million homes belonging to farmers and force them to move to the cities to work, then that's what they do.

China’s Great Uprooting: Moving 250 Million Into Cities
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/wo...anted=all&_r=0

Never mind that in Capitalism, all parties are entitled to negotiating power and the oligarch in this country do not want that. They want all the power for themselves and the top wealthy. They are fascists.

Also, in places like India and China, housing is 1/4 of what we pay here
This is the biggest expense for Americans propped up sky high by the financial sector for rentier income.

Lobbyists want the highest prices in this country for their pockets at the lowest cost using slave labor abroad and then wonder why the math does not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 09:50 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
That plant is a 30 minute drive from where I live and I know a few people who work there, and as far as jobs paying $12-15/hour being low wage? Seriously? Tell that to the people working at the Meijer store down the street making $8.05/hour.
I would LOVE to work there. (At the auto plant)

Yes, the people making the minimum wage there are sure envious.

I'm in Boston and I will be making $11/hour as of January 1st. Minimum wage. Of course, everything costs more here, so..

Old 11-23-2016, 09:52 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
In a low cost of living area that's a living wage and it would be a step up for people that are working at Wal-Mart or something. There's people in big cities trying to survive on 15 bucks an hour. Thousands of jobs are a good thing.

The reality is the days of graduating from high school and becoming an autoworker that makes big money are gone. A car maker can't be competitive paying 30 bucks an hour to all of it's workers.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 11-23-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-23-2016, 09:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
States have been competing for business and jobs for decades. State legislators offer lucrative incentive packages to entice companies to build or repurpose plants and hire thousands. South Carolina offers a lower wage base, is a Right to Work state and has one of the lowest percentage of unionized workforce in the country which makes it an attractive option for relocation of manufacturing.

This was played out with Boeing. As I recall, it was Boeing's intent to build a new Dreamliner plant in WA.and in doing so create up to 3800 new jobs. Boeing eventually nixed plans to do so when the unions refused to waive their right to strike for 10 years.

At about the same timeframe, the Boeing SC employees voted the union out and the state legislate agreed to offer a ton of incentives to Boeing. And Boeing decided to expand their footprint in SC.

The wage paid in Washington was adequate to prevent a theoretical employee with a family of four from qualifying for Federal tax relief and SNAP benefits. The wage paid in SC for the same family size qualified the family for tax relief and in some cases, SNAP benefits. In effect, a burden was shifted to the Federal government and Congress gets to blame Obama for a weak economy. And it's likely that many of those Boeing employees in SC voted for Trump in hopes he will do something to help wages increase. And around we go.

Trump has walked a fine line with organized labor. He has been clear, on occasion, he thought Americans made too much money. That quickly morphed into the income gap and promises to bring back/ create jobs.

There are 26 Right to Work states. There is unprecedented investment in industrial robotics that are more productive than manpower.

Private Union membership in the US peaked 60 years ago.
I understand all of that, but I don't like it. If we're gonna compete, let's compete against other nations. Taking jobs out of one state and delivering them to another state in order to pay lower wages drives me nuts.

That said, I realize that it's part of our capitalist system.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:05 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I understand all of that, but I don't like it. If we're gonna compete, let's compete against other nations. Taking jobs out of one state and delivering them to another state in order to pay lower wages drives me nuts.

That is the best way for the US to compete with other countries. Use the areas of the US where people will work for less.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:36 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
I agree with this wholeheartedly. When you have states battling each other to take jobs away from another state with the promise that you won't have to pay their workers the higher wage being paid in the other state, that's pathetic. Southern states have been pulling that crap for the last few decades.
Wage rates are a LOCAL issue. Why should I pay someone more than necessary? That just drives up the prices of everything as businesses try to extract those dollars from the workers.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:02 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Why do people think anyone can be a factory worker?

I guess they've never been inside a factory...

Old 11-23-2016, 12:43 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Why do people think anyone can be a factory worker?

I guess they've never been inside a factory...
A lot of people can't handle it.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:21 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
This is the strategy to gain back manufacturing jobs. You can't get back the jobs that already left but we can get more foreign investment. Toyota alone has created 20k direct jobs and 100k supplier jobs in Kentucky. GM, Ford, and Chrysler could make their cars here but their CEOs are unpatriotic scumbags.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:

States also need to be more cognizant of their competitive standing. Indiana lowered taxes to avoid loosing it's flagship companies like Cummins from moving South, Ohio refused and lost icons like National Register. I really think tax structure has more to do with it than wages. I know some Toyota workers in Kentucky and that they do as well as the Ford UAW workers I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies