Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Can't believe people take $8/hour jobs. I made $11.33 when I finally quit my grocery store job back in 2004. I'd take government cheese before making under $13/hour starting. $8/ hour is a high school level wage.
No cheese for you if you are an able bodied adult, especially without children.

Wage does not matter. What matters is what the wage will buy in the local economy.

Tens of millions of people do not have marketable skills to command more than entry level wage their entire working lives. Nothing new here or anywhere.

I admire people willing to earn a living doing honest work, no matter what it is or pays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 10:21 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Your list of facts have no context or point. Frigidaire was part of GM for many years and supplied their automotive A/C system for a time. Factory workers do all sorts of tasks and it's hard productive work. Most everything has been sucked up by globalism and gone with the wind,
Mentally draining I would say. Which is of course or can be considered hard work.
It depends of course also on what jobs in these factories we are talking about.
If it is assembly line works, then this is a bleak future anyway and it is already in the hands of machines for a good portion.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Your list of facts have no context or point. Frigidaire was part of GM for many years and supplied their automotive A/C system for a time. Factory workers do all sorts of tasks and it's hard productive work. Most everything has been sucked up by globalism and gone with the wind,
Industrial robotics / technology substitution have been and will continue to be a far greater risk to the global job market.

Big manufacturers made business decisions to not limit their sales to just 5% of the world's population when the world was their oyster.

GM has had offshore plants to 70+/- years.

Makes more sense to produce the product in the geo area where it will be sold to avoid tariffs and overseas shipping costs, that could otherwise make the product uncompetitive in foreign markets.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Industrial robotics / technology substitution have been and will continue to be a far greater risk to the global job market.

Big manufacturers made business decisions to not limit their sales to just 5% of the world's population when the world was their oyster.

GM has had offshore plants to 70+/- years.

Makes more sense to produce the product in the geo area where it will be sold to avoid tariffs and overseas shipping costs, that could otherwise make the product uncompetitive in foreign markets.
That's not the point. the US gave away most of it's very valuable domestic automotive market to foreigners. We just gave most every market away. GM practically invented much of the automotive technology and naturally sold and built cars in other markets especially ones that had no auto industry.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:01 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times
Quote:
I think he is just an auto glass supplier and bought a GM plant that was closed. We could've had American glass suppliers and that GM plant and higher wages like before mass globalization. It's akin to trading a dollar for a quarter and saying well we got something.
I remember the talking points back in the 80's about how American's wages would drop with these Trade Agreements and the Pro Free Traders laughed at people saying this and said nonsense.

The Globalists need to be kicked out of this country full stop.

About 95% of the time, the people all for Globalism are invested in foreign stocks that put their wallets above this country.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I remember the talking points back in the 80's about how American's wages would drop with these Trade Agreements and the Pro Free Traders laughed at people saying this and said nonsense.

The Globalists need to be kicked out of this country full stop.

About 95% of the time, the people all for Globalism are invested in foreign stocks that put their wallets above this country.
Yep and they control the media too. They promoted foreign made products and lampooned American made ones for years.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Please.

The Center for Automotive Research released a study of labor rates (including benefits) that put numbers to what the imports pay: Mercedes-Benz pays the most, at an average of $65 per hour, Volkswagen pays the least, at $38 per hour, and BMW is just a hair above that at $39 per hour. Among the Detroit competitors, Honda workers earn an average of $49 per hour, at Toyota it's $48 per hour, Nissan is $42 per hour, and Hyundai-Kia pays $41 per hour. The lower import wages are aided by their greater use of temporary workers compared to the domestics. Automotive News says the ten-dollar gap between those foreign camakers and the domestics turns out to about an extra $250 per car in labor, which adds up quickly when you're pumping out many millions of cars.

This dude, 12 bucks an hour.
If it was up to Globalists, it would be 3 bucks an hour.
They would continue to charge consumers the same rate as other manufacturers do and pocket the massive gains.

Majority of Globalist Gains do not go to consumers but to the parasites in the Finance Sector.
That also gives them more money to purchase politicians.

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
Wealth, Income, and Power

Old 11-22-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If it was up to Globalists, it would be 3 bucks an hour.
They would continue to charge consumers the same rate as other manufacturers do and pocket the massive gains.

Majority of Globalist Gains do not go to consumers but to the parasites in the Finance Sector.
That also gives them more money to purchase politicians.

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
Wealth, Income, and Power
The big wigs and politicians tell us globalism and mass immigration is good for us. Does anyone believe they would support anything good for us? I don't want what's 'good' for me. I want the government to stop instituting globalism and I'll accept the results.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's OK. You don't have to take the job.
SMH...what's the snark all about. The poster simply posted some facts about the jobs.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
These auto makers might still be in business if the hourly wages were reasonable. Unions have driven up the hourly wage which is why many of these companies go else where.] I had a relative who dropped out of high school & never had much common sense yet he was able to get a job at an automaker making GREAT money. All for doing a skill that anybody off the street can do. Did he work hard? yes. But still made way too much money for learning a fairly easy skill.

And the reason I point that out is to those that think 12-15 is not enough.
This is what happens when you pit the power of labor entitled to that power under Capitalism against the power of Communism where workers have no rights such as in China.

We have always heard that workers are free to get another job but what happens when fascists corporations get in bed with Communist Countries in order to crush the power of labor?

That is not capitalism buddy!

The major corporations that got in bed with our politicians and China should be bankrupt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies