U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-23-2016, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,404 posts, read 55,267,399 times
Reputation: 15495

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
NYC sure but SF is not somewhere I'd wanna live.
Right, no city is the ideal for all people.

But there is a definite highly educated and affluent demographic that flocks to SF seemingly during and/ or right after college.

 
Old 11-24-2016, 12:19 AM
 
406 posts, read 254,636 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I am talking about the people who don't have the common sense or the decency to self reflect before bashing someone in flyover country. It's not about being a hypocrite you dolt. I am renting myself but I don't think of myself as a paragon of virtue for simply living in CA. And I am doing fine in CA myself. I own my own car and my student debts are paid off. I have a great job. All I am missing is the home and then I can act like the elitist SOB that you and others in CA forum like to do.


And the first response in this thread was to a thread started by another elitist fool who titled his thread CA vs Trumpland. If that is not dumb elitism then I don't know what is.


Clearly your reading comprehension is lacking so please just don't engage, you're just going to muck up this thread with more ramblings about how great you are for living in CA vs a dude out in Podunk.


Get over yourself, for your own sake.
I'm not some pleb yokel living in a cornfield.

Buddy, I play squash at my local equinox. Ughhh what if I lived in some dump like Omaha. I would have to go to a 24 hr fitness with all the riff raff. How gauche.

I get that you don't like elitists. But honestly you don't matter to us. We run this show and this town. Who cares what up jumped transplants from Arkansas think? They can't even afford to live here and will be running home in 6 months.
 
Old 11-24-2016, 04:00 AM
 
7,990 posts, read 3,218,999 times
Reputation: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
I'm not some pleb yokel living in a cornfield.

Buddy, I play squash at my local equinox. Ughhh what if I lived in some dump like Omaha. I would have to go to a 24 hr fitness with all the riff raff. How gauche.

I get that you don't like elitists. But honestly you don't matter to us. We run this show and this town. Who cares what up jumped transplants from Arkansas think? They can't even afford to live here and will be running home in 6 months.
And this is why we now own you. I'm sure there's an elitists support group you can join.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 11-24-2016 at 04:14 AM..
 
Old 11-24-2016, 05:21 AM
 
7,990 posts, read 3,218,999 times
Reputation: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post

California is the 6th largest economy in the world. There is a serious issue with income inequality. That is a good point. It needs work. As a country, we'd be bigger than France and Russia. BTW. the US is the biggest economy in the world. I wonder how it would fare without California?
According to a previous post by 18Montclair it would still #1 and would still be 6 times greater than California's.
Keep in mind on these GDP lists, there's a huge difference between #2 and #3. So 6th place is a very distant 6th place.


2016 Estimated Nominal GDP, $1 Trillion+
1 United States( excluding CA) $15,962,276,000,000
2 China $11,391,619,000,000
3 Japan $4,370,300,000,000
4 Germany $3,494,900,000,000
5 United Kingdom $2,649,890 000,000
6 CALIFORNIA $2,599,654,000,000
7 France $2,488,280,000,000
8 India $2,250,990,000,000
9 Italy $1,852,500,000
10 Brazil $1,769,300,000,000
11 Canada $1,532,340,000,000
12 South Korea $1,404,380,000,000
13 Russia $1,267,750,000,000
14 Australia $1,256,640,000,000
15 Spain $1,252,160,000,000
16 Mexico $1,063,610,000,000
 
Old 11-24-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,404 posts, read 55,267,399 times
Reputation: 15495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
According to a previous post by 18Montclair it would still #1 and would still be 6 times greater than California's.
Keep in mind on these GDP lists, there's a huge difference between #2 and #3. So 6th place is a very distant 6th place.


2016 Estimated Nominal GDP, $1 Trillion+
1 United States( excluding CA) $15,962,276,000,000
2 China $11,391,619,000,000
3 Japan $4,370,300,000,000
4 Germany $3,494,900,000,000
5 United Kingdom $2,649,890 000,000
6 CALIFORNIA $2,599,654,000,000
7 France $2,488,280,000,000
8 India $2,250,990,000,000
9 Italy $1,852,500,000
10 Brazil $1,769,300,000,000
11 Canada $1,532,340,000,000
12 South Korea $1,404,380,000,000
13 Russia $1,267,750,000,000
14 Australia $1,256,640,000,000
15 Spain $1,252,160,000,000
16 Mexico $1,063,610,000,000
No by removing California and it's growth rate, China would reach parity with the US in about 7 years and surpass the US in 8.

But more importantly it's the components of the California economy that are so vital to US dominance on the global economy and culture.

Just 3 examples:
1. 98% of the world's wireless devices run on 2 operating systems, iOS and Android. This is no small fete. As recently as the early 2000s the US was a laughing stock in telecommunications far behind Europe and Japan, but then Silicon Valley turned the entire industry on it's head by introducing the iPhone followed by Android which runs most foreign devices. That's a stunning win for the US.

2. Every day, billions of people access and distribute information freely on platforms based and controlled in California. From India to Japan to Brazil to France, the world has come to depend on the fact that they will be able to log on to our platforms( search engines, social media, etc) 24/7 to become informed or to spread a message. That is immensely powerful.

3. American pop culture is one of our nation's most powerful tools to distribute our values, ideals and morals to the world in such a way that foreigners are reminded that this lone superpower is not just a military minded land-everywhere I go, US celebrities and their projects are a topic of discussion. It's amazing how famous Beyonce and the Kardashians are or example. Hollywood is one of our most potent ambassadors of good will.

So California's economic and social footprint around the world is extremely wide reaching and affects the lives of most human beings every day.

The only other state that has that same kind of worldwide influence is New York with it's finance and media behemoths.
 
Old 11-24-2016, 07:55 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,896 posts, read 21,176,302 times
Reputation: 9447
California can have high taxes and businesses will still move there because it has things no where else has: great beaches, great mountains, great weather, Hollywood, etc. If Kentucky had the same tax code as CA the population would be halved in a decade.
 
Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 AM
 
7,990 posts, read 3,218,999 times
Reputation: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No by removing California and it's growth rate, China would reach parity with the US in about 7 years and surpass the US in 8.

But more importantly it's the components of the California economy that are so vital to US dominance on the global economy and culture.

Just 3 examples:
1. 98% of the world's wireless devices run on 2 operating systems, iOS and Android. This is no small fete. As recently as the early 2000s the US was a laughing stock in telecommunications far behind Europe and Japan, but then Silicon Valley turned the entire industry on it's head by introducing the iPhone followed by Android which runs most foreign devices. That's a stunning win for the US.

2. Every day, billions of people access and distribute information freely on platforms based and controlled in California. From India to Japan to Brazil to France, the world has come to depend on the fact that they will be able to log on to our platforms( search engines, social media, etc) 24/7 to become informed or to spread a message. That is immensely powerful.

3. American pop culture is one of our nation's most powerful tools to distribute our values, ideals and morals to the world in such a way that foreigners are reminded that this lone superpower is not just a military minded land-everywhere I go, US celebrities and their projects are a topic of discussion. It's amazing how famous Beyonce and the Kardashians are or example. Hollywood is one of our most potent ambassadors of good will.

So California's economic and social footprint around the world is extremely wide reaching and affects the lives of most human beings every day.

The only other state that has that same kind of worldwide influence is New York with it's finance and media behemoths.
You're limiting yourself to two industries. Remember when Microsoft dominated the world and Seattle was the software capital of the world? Don't ever get too comfortable, and California of all places should know this.
 
Old 11-24-2016, 08:08 AM
 
6,822 posts, read 5,164,474 times
Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Piedmont demographics ...74% white, 18% Asian, 1.3% African American, 3.9% Latino. By celebrating diversity I suppose that means just Asians and whites.

Median income..$134k ..males average $100k vs $58K for females...talk about income inequality.

Sounds like a nice bubble in a state with the highest poverty rate in the nation. No wonder he's so oblivious to the rest of the country....or even his own state.
Where's your link to support these assertions?

Or are we just supposed to take your word for it?
 
Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 AM
 
21,614 posts, read 11,655,856 times
Reputation: 12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
California, with its high taxes, high wages and tough regulations, has the No. 1 economy in the U.S., while two states in Trumpland (Texas and Kansas) with low taxes, low wages and few regulations are struggling.

Robert Reich (California versus Trumpland)
California is also the #1 recipient of federal welfare dollars.
 
Old 11-24-2016, 08:22 AM
 
21,614 posts, read 11,655,856 times
Reputation: 12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
This is the most idiotic thread I have ever seen, and that is saying a lot.

California has the best weather in the world, the best harbor in the world, some of the best tourism due to natural beauty, some of the best farmland in the world, and a huge head start with Hollywood and the tech industries from the days before socialists turned this into an unlivable heallhole for all of use who don't make $350,000 and year.

Texas is s desert, it is booming ONLY because of good policies. And unlike Cali, it is livable.

I live in Cali and as soon as it is feasible in my life, I am heading for Texas.

But hey, believe as you like.
The best farmland? Have you seen Iowa or Illinois or Minnesota? And we actually have our own water! We don't have to steal it from other states!��

Good luck getting out of that hellhole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top