Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 11:55 AM

37,732 posts, read 40,772,892 times

Advertisements

I would like to ask the Californians who moved to Texas because their jobs moved to Texas, do you have more discretionary money now to spend in Texas compared to California? In other words, strictly from a financial perspective, are you doing better personally? If the OP thinks I should put this question in its own thread, I will.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:57 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Agreed 100% radiolibre99 about NIMBYs choking the life out of housing and commercial developments in California.

Coastal communities are so nearsighted about screaming bloody murder against new housing developments.

They dont realize that their own kids are being priced out.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:01 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,202,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was with ya until number three. Hollywood distributes our values? Nix this ridiculous shpeel about Hollywood and you have a point. It reads like someone who is hopelessly pop culture centered. You sound like a hipster female blogger on Hello Giggles.
You do know that politics and Hollywood have been intertwined for quite awhile, don't you? A lot of pop culture can be arguably seen as propaganda of you look at it from a more cynical perspective. The military has used Hollywood as a tool for recruitment purposes in the past. Look past the more superficial aspects of Hollywood and dig deeper.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 11-24-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,928,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
You do know that politics and Hollywood have been intertwined for quite awhile. A lot of pop culture can be arguably seen as propaganda of you look at it from a more cynical perspective. The military has used Hollywood as a tool for recruitment purposes in the past. Look past the more superficial aspects of Hollywood and dig deeper.
Agreed but I doubt that's what 18Montclair meant. He meant it more as the highly moral and relevant influence of the Kardashians or whatnot.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Agreed 100% radiolibre99 about NIMBYs choking the life out of housing and commercial developments in California.

Coastal communities are so nearsighted about screaming bloody murder against new housing developments.

They dont realize that their own kids are being priced out.
What the....? Wow, we agree! Excellent. Yes, it's hard as heck to get people in the CA forum to agree with this. Many support the NIMBYism.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:15 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,846,747 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone said that Texas is beating CA. But for Texas being second after CA in terms of GDP and growing so much in the last decade or so, it's pretty impressive. You don't have to knock other states down to play up CA. Why can't it be that both states are economic powehouses?
Exactly.
Texas produces more energy than California.
Washington makes more airplanes than California.
Iowa grows more corn than California.
West Virginia produces more coal than California.

Most importantly it's easier to be middle class in all these places. Being wealthy is easy everywhere.

What's the point of all this? The whole benefit of being in the US is the diverse economics which provides us with everything from raw materials and food, to finished goods and energy, to software, medical advances, and research and development. The recession hit California worse than any other state. In Texas it was barely noticed. For the country's sake it helps to have Texas as a stable economic counter weight to California's erratic economy during bad times.

What's odd is that Californians seem to feel the need to benchmark themselves against Texas.
For anyone who's ever lived in Texas, you quickly find out Texans gives no f**ks about what's going on California.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Who are these folks that are NIMBYs? Liberals? Environmentalists?
To give you an example, we have a initiative making it's way on the ballot this coming March in LA that will put a halt on all new construction in LA that required an zoning/planning exemption from the city. That will throw a monkey wrench into the the tremendous growth LA experienced in the last five years and brought it out of the recession it was in. The construction boom was vital to a recovering LA.

This initiative was started by a rich industry guy who lives in Hollywood and was upset that the new development was blocking his view of the Hollywood sign. I chit you not. Most of these NIMBYs get involved or hound their local planning commissions to stall or halt development projects which costs the developers money which they then pass along to future tenants. The only way it's lucrative to build in LA is if you create expensive housing and charge high rents to offset all the development headaches.

Environmental groups secure swathes of land they intend to preserve but honestly most detractors of the NIMBYs aren't buying it anymore. They know they're just looking to preserve their QOL, their tastes and preferences and their property values which have gone through the roof since they've aided in artificially restricting supply through these third party agencies.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 11-24-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 12:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,787,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I would like to ask the Californians who moved to Texas because their jobs moved to Texas, do you have more discretionary money now to spend in Texas compared to California? In other words, strictly from a financial perspective, are you doing better personally? If the OP thinks I should put this question in its own thread, I will.

I turned down a job in California after checking housing costs and taxes. I like living in a house.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
What's odd is that Californians seem to feel the need to benchmark themselves against Texas.
For anyone who's ever lived in Texas, you quickly find out Texans gives no f**ks about what's going on California.
I think it's because they never expected a "cowpoke" state like Texas to develop so quickly and rise up to be 2nd to CA and have I believe now the 12th or the 14th largest economy in the world. It's doing very well and the recession never hurt Texas. Even the drop in oil prices didn't send it to anywhere near the recession CA experienced during the 08 downturn.

To be fair though, a lot of the financial rags about five years ago kept playing the Texas Miracle up as though it was the best thing since sliced bread. California was always the butt of the joke while Texas was played up. They kind of fostered this rivalry between the two states and their economies. It didn't help that Gov Rick Perry was asking CA businesses to move to Texas either.

So it probably leaves a bitter taste in CAs mouth that Texas has grown so much as is second to CA. But the whole country has done a 180. It's nice to live in a lot of places now not just CA. If I wasn't in CA I'd live in Oregon, North Carolina, Texas or Nashville. I mean the growth in a lot of cities outside of CA has just been amazing. It's no longer CA or NY or bust.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:30 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Quote:
What the....? Wow, we agree! Excellent. Yes, it's hard as heck to get people in the CA forum to agree with this. Many support the NIMBYism.
Well Ive seen too many awesome families leave because they make $100,000 but still cant afford a house in a decent area. That's quite frankly immoral and we are ultimately going to suffer economically.

What we need is perhaps 2 million units of affordable housing of all kinds( apts, townhouses, single family homes etc) but it's not happening.

But I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies