Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 12:09 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually what I would like is a list of states you consider more important and less expendable to this country than California, and your reasoning.

That would be **extremely** illuminating.
Every state and citizen in this country is important and none of them are "expendable", stop acting like a douche bag.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
I am starting to think this guy started this thread as a joke to get a rise out of people not in CA.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I am starting to think this guy started this thread as a joke to get a rise out of people not in CA.
Starting?

Old 11-24-2016, 12:42 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Spare me the feigned indignation. I was responding to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo
In short, California please secede. We do not want or need you.
Quote:
Actually what I would like is a list of states you consider more important and less expendable to this country than California, and your reasoning.

That would be **extremely** illuminating.
Still waiting for beardo's list of states that are needed and wanted.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I didnt start this thread.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
The awareness is real that Texas is the only state that can actually compare in terms of size and scope economically to CA.
Actually NY is on pace to overtake TX again as far as GDP, which is incredible considering TX has 8 million more people.

As far as here, California's GDP is about $1 Trillion larger than Texas'.

Quote:
I agree with you to an extent but it's focus isn't and shouldn't be the creation of this yuppified notion of a "creative class". That's a silly term coined by the Atlantic monthly and touted as something spectacular but it's really just another way to define urban yuppies. You don't need to have a "creative class" to have a productive robust base of people who majored and work in STEM fields. This idea about intellectual capital seems so pretentious and I don't know why you bank on this stuff so much.
True, but being a place where worker bees do what theyre told is very different from being the place where an idea is transformed into reality.

To that end, California leads the nation by a large margin.
Patents Issued, 2015
California 38,522
Texas 8,794

Old 11-24-2016, 12:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Actually NY is on pace to overtake TX again as far as GDP, which is incredible considering TX has 8 million more people.

True, but being a place where worker bees do what theyre told is very different from being the place where an idea is transformed into reality.

Patents Issued, 2015
California 38,522
Texas 8,794
I am not knocking the innovation in CA but my point is that Texas is growing by a different metric and yes it starts with "worker bees". It just has a different ethos and that is why it's attractive to a lot of people. Nothing is too out of reach with a little elbow grease. Places in CA might as well be in stratosphere because it's so unattainable to many people. When I lived in Houston no area, no restaurant, nothing really seemed that out of reach. It was clearly a city designed for the working professional. To you that might look like mediocrity hell but to many Americans, it's Americana.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Patents Issued, 2015
California 38,522
Texas 8,794
Remember folks, people in CA don't care about what's going on in Texas.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I am not knocking the innovation in CA but my point is that Texas is growing by a different metric and yes it starts with "worker bees". It just has a different ethos and that is why it's attractive to a lot of people. Nothing is too out of reach with a little elbow grease. Places in CA might as well be in stratosphere because it's so unattainable to many people. When I lived in Houston no area, no restaurant, nothing really seemed that out of reach. It was clearly a city designed for the working professional. To you that might look like mediocrity hell but to many Americans, it's Americana.
I hear you and understand your point of view.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:08 PM

406 posts, read 348,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Those elites wouldn't be on the internet screaming it from the rooftop, because they don't need any self confirmation.

You're not running anything. At best you're a poser who's just trolling.
I'm glad you finally were able to come to the conclusion that the elites run the world. That was like pulling teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies