Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:08 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times

Advertisements

The best black quarterback that the NFL let go who went on to play in the Canadian league was Chuck Ealey from the Toledo Rockets who never lost a game through high school or college as a starter ... 76-0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 07:25 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Like it or not, whites no longer play wide receiver, cornerback, and running back as much as blacks due to perceptions of speed and leaping ability (see the NBA for a more drastic example).

Whether such a physical advantage exists is debatable. Whatever. However, no such advantage exist for QB and thus whites probably focus on that position. That and the simple fact there are many more whites than blacks means more white QBs.

Nothing nefarious or ignoble going on. I still break out my Super Bowl DVD and watch the great Doug Williams incinerate the Broncos. And I still miss RGIII.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Are you claiming it's racist because it's mostly black men who stand around not doing anything for the majority of the game time?

Old 11-23-2016, 08:40 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
It's far more complicated. Today's high school and college quarterbacks' plays are based upon their physical and mental skills. If a quarterback is a strong and fast runner, he's going to have more running plays than slower running quarterbacks. Those slower running quarterbacks train on accuracy of throws, both long and short. In high school and college a good running quarterback can excel. However, the NFL level can chew up running quarterbacks. Defense players train to tackle the strongest and fastest runners and a fast quarterback is slow compared to wide receivers, running backs, and fullbacks. Having running speed and strength isn't enough in the NFL. Decision making, throwing ability, and keeping calm under pressure make a good NFL quarterback. Having good powerful or fast running and ok throwing ability makes you at best a second string back-up quarterback.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:22 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewby509 View Post
last i looked russell wilson won a superbowl and cam newton won mvp last year.

arguably 2 of the top 5 qb's in the league are black.

in no specific order:
wilson
brady
roethlisberger
rodgers

then it could be any combo of luck, newton, ryan, etc.
And it kinda goes without saying that you're going to forget somebody, LOL. Yes you are quite right. I did forget Russell Wilson and Cam Newton.

It is not my contention that the best QB's in the NFL must be white. It is my contention that I don't actually care what color skin my QB has. I just want to win!! At present, the top 10 best ever QB list is all white. If Cam Newton and Russell Wilson continue to have awesome careers then they're likely to join Tom Brady, Jonny Unitas, Peyton Manning and company. It's too early for that, but they're off to a great start! Generally, you're looking for guys like Steve Young and Tom Brady who are consistently in the top 5 QB's for quarterback rating, completion percentage, etc. Russell and Newton aren't' doing so great this year, but the season ain't over yet. And one mediocre season certainly doesn't eliminate anybody.

Drew Brees should probably be in your list of best right now as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies