U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:46 AM

39,245 posts, read 40,617,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
do arithmetic without any computer assistance -
I can't agree with that. I loved learning new math in school but despised the repetitive work involved. I also didn't think in the way most people would address math, what they were teaching me often didn't apply because I came up with my own solutions. Memorizing 9*8 became (9*10)-8, that may seem odd but that evolved and I was able to calculate huge numbers in my head. If I was allowed to use a calculator in school I could of moved onto learning more math.

Being able to work out something on paper may come in handy if your stranded on a island but in a modern world it's like giving someone a shovel when they have at their disposal an excavator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Time was, the best and brightest went into teaching, now it is the bottom 10%.
You can blame women's lib for this... No really! In the past teaching was one profession open to women and that's where a lot of the brightest woman ended up seeking a career that are today's female doctors, scientists etc.

Just so it's clear I'm not suggesting women should be forced to teach and not be doctors.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM

7,057 posts, read 4,055,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can't agree with that. I loved learning new math in school but despised the repetitive work involved. I also didn't think in the way most people would address math, what they were teaching me often didn't apply because I came up with my own solutions. Memorizing 9*8 became (9*10)-8, that may seem odd but that evolved and I was able to calculate huge numbers in my head. If I was allowed to use a calculator in school I could of moved onto learning more math.

Being able to work out something on paper may come in handy if your stranded on a island but in a modern world it's like giving someone a shovel when they have at their disposal an excavator.
don't do that!

Point is taken tho. I think the concept of common core was to help students understand the math rather than rote memorization so they could calculate in their heads. The implementation notwithstanding, the concept is a good one.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:59 AM

36,572 posts, read 15,996,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d25_story.html

"In a potentially controversial choice, Trump intends to nominate billionaire philanthropist Betsy DeVos for education secretary, people familiar with the selection said, turning to a conservative activist who has forcefully pushed for private school voucher programs. Her nomination is expected to face strong opposition from public school advocates, who oppose her efforts to funnel taxpayer dollars from public to private and religious schools."

If that first statement isn't an understatement I've never heard one. The NEA will pull out all the stops to keep control of the Education Department. Nothing is off the table. From the Geneva Convention to Robert's Rules, nothing will restrain them.
""In a potentially controversial choice" only to most liberals.

They lost so, who cares what they think. "Elections have consequences", Obama.

They are irrelevant.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:36 AM

20,354 posts, read 9,925,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm not on the left but I am no fan because:

Quote:
The report analyzed student test data from the 2003-04 to 2012-13 school years, comparing students who used vouchers to “closely matched peers” who remained in voucher-eligible public schools.

“Those students, on average, who move to private schools under the EdChoice program tend to perform considerably worse than observationally similar students who remained in public schools,” the report found.
The study was done by a pro-voucher think tank.

Ouch.

My question would be why are they not performing as well? I'm anti-voucher, but I know some people who live in Chicago who were beside themselves when they thought their children might not get into the charter school. (they did get in) I'm not well versed on the system here and don't even know if vouchers are involved, but I do know that one of the parents told me her children struggled the first year and she had to get them special help to catch up, but that was a result of a stronger program than the one they came from. Chicago Schools, for the most part, aren't that great.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Oh, but her charter schools will allow prayer in the classrooms so what if she guts the public school system in the process and after they do, the government will quit giving out the vouchers and parents will have to pay the full shot.
What makes you think so? There's no way prayer is going to be allowed in private schools unless they're have a religious foundation, such as a Catholic school. Parents would be up in arms and contacting the media and suing, etc.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:40 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,887,980 times
Here's the reality of DeVos' policies in action:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/op...?smid=tw-share

Old 11-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
don't do that!
Oops... 8*9 became (8*10)-8 but you get the picture. I had short cuts that worked for me for everything most of which I have forgotten. For large numbers I would divide it up into simpler components, what's 6*12? (6*10) = 60 & (2*6)=12 so 60+12 = 72.

Where it got really interesting is there wasn't always the same path (6*6)*2 also equals 72.

Keep in mind these are small numbers and I was doing this with larger numbers in my head. 66457*69732 started out with breaking it down to 6*6.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:26 AM

4,185 posts, read 2,009,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d25_story.html

"In a potentially controversial choice, Trump intends to nominate billionaire philanthropist Betsy DeVos for education secretary, people familiar with the selection said, turning to a conservative activist who has forcefully pushed for private school voucher programs. Her nomination is expected to face strong opposition from public school advocates, who oppose her efforts to funnel taxpayer dollars from public to private and religious schools."

If that first statement isn't an understatement I've never heard one. The NEA will pull out all the stops to keep control of the Education Department. Nothing is off the table. From the Geneva Convention to Robert's Rules, nothing will restrain them.

Another unqualified Trump nominee. How do you nominate someone to be Education secretary that doesn't understand the difference between proficiency and growth. This is something that's talked about in every junior-level education training program in college. It's clear her only role is to continue to push for more charters and privatizing education.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 AM

4,185 posts, read 2,009,618 times
Warren destroys DeVos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnibHBkDFO4

Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM

29,621 posts, read 16,361,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Govt destroyed education as soon as it involved itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies