U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,915,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Another unqualified Trump nominee. How do you nominate someone to be Education secretary that doesn't understand the difference between proficiency and growth. This is something that's talked about in every junior-level education training program in college. It's clear her only role is to continue to push for more charters and privatizing education.
A distinction contrived by the "ins" to keep the "outs" out. That's proficiency vs. growth. Tell me your definitions and I'll tell you mine and then we can argue about them until the cows come home. But that's all we'll accomplish.

I still haven't heard any reasons why vouchers, charters, and school choice shouldn't be available to parents and children except that they threaten the livelihood of those fed by the current system.

It isn't like public education in the US the best in the world, even if it is the most expensive. "One size fits all" describes it pretty well and no one would argue that such an approach is anywhere close to right. Especially with a population as diverse as ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 AM

22,335 posts, read 9,493,469 times
Just to add a little levity to this fairly depressing and unqualified appointment, there were some hilarious late night takes on DeVos' comment about needing guns in schools to fend off grizzly bears. Yugely hilarious.

Stephen Colbert Found Footage of the Grizzly Attacks Betsy Devos Was Talking About

Watch Colbert, Kimmel Mock Betsy DeVos' Grizzly Bear Fears - Rolling Stone

Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yes. Imagine how Trump supporters will feel when they find out that it could be Muslim schools getting funded by their tax dollars?

Oh god,that will be hilarious.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:26 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm anti- government being allowed to funnel poor kids into subpar public schools.
Vouchers ain't gonna fix that problem

Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 AM

17,804 posts, read 19,821,142 times
The future is here... Charter schools will be the norm... indoctrination is over...

Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 AM

29,774 posts, read 16,458,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Vouchers ain't gonna fix that problem
True. With taxpayer money, comes govt strings

Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 AM

955 posts, read 376,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
A distinction contrived by the "ins" to keep the "outs" out. That's proficiency vs. growth. Tell me your definitions and I'll tell you mine and then we can argue about them until the cows come home. But that's all we'll accomplish.
Perhaps. But DeVos doesn't even understand that the debate is going on, and that's the problem.

She was also oblivious to the interplay between federal and state law, which is a problem if she plans to use legal means to ensure that state school administrators have the right to exclude disabled children and shoot grizzlies.

If Republicans want someone to push their agenda of turning schools into for-profit ventures, they'd be better-served by a nominee who can anticipate and respond to the opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies