Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:43 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's true. The point is that when downsizing is needed, costs can be and are reduced by closing/consolidating.
Agree 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Due to congressional gerrymandering, gerrymandering at state level districting, .
I would suggest looking at Illinois's Congressional districts and then get back to us.

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Trump said that he was anti-common core and his pick is very much pro-common core in spite of her very recent claims to the contrary/
Will Trump-DeVos Team End Common Core? – Missouri Education Watchdog
Quote:
President Elect Trump has said he will end Common Core.* Today, he*chose billionaire*Betsy DeVos*as Secretary of Education.**As many have reported,* DeVos has been an ardent Common Core supporter.
Quote:
Donald Trump promised (and fooled) many citizens into thinking he could get rid of Common Core.* So much so that his pick for Secretary of Education is now backtracking on her years of actions financially supporting Common Core.* She sits on Jeb Bush’s Foundation for Excellence in Education.* This foundation LOVES Common Core and all that comes with it.* DeVos, through the Betsy and Steve DeVos Foundation, poured millions of dollars into pro-Common Core candidates.
https://exceptionaldelaware.wordpres...s-of-tomorrow/

336 posts, read 377,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's true. The point is that when downsizing is needed, costs can be and are reduced by closing/consolidating.
Yep. And the result is typically larger class sizes.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:47 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
Yep. And the result is typically larger class sizes.
Not necessarily. That all depends on how many kids leave the system.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:49 AM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would suggest looking at Illinois's Congressional districts and then get back to us.
Illinois' congressional districts should be un-gerrymandered as well.

But there is little question as to which modern political party has used gerrymandering to their favor more.

On topic, I think Betsy Devos is a terrible pick for Secretary of Education. However, Trump is insistent on picking people who want to delegitimize and dismantle government on all levels, so I am not surprised.

Charter Schools have received ardent bi-partisan support. I think they are a scam.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:50 AM

336 posts, read 377,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Where does the rest of the money go?
If a voucher isn't used, then the funding isn't drained from the local/public school system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Not necessarily. That all depends on how many kids leave the system.
Right. Every public school requires a certain number of students to remain viable.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:53 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Trump said that he was anti-common core and his pick is very much pro-common core in spite of her very recent claims to the contrary/
Will Trump-DeVos Team End Common Core? – Missouri Education Watchdog

https://exceptionaldelaware.wordpres...s-of-tomorrow/
Not to worry, she will just rename common core without changing anything else and call it a major victory for the Republicans. In the meantime she's bleed the public schools dry and enrich more Christian based charter schools with vouchers. Another billionaire bought her cabinet post and the swamp is getting full.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Trump is insistent on picking people who want to delegitimize and dismantle government, so I am not surprised.
Considering the amount of money we spend and the results what do you suggest other than throwing more money at the problem?

Old 11-25-2016, 07:57 AM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Considering the amount of money we spend and the results what do you suggest other than throwing more money at the problem?
I don't want to live in your libertarian paradise where the moment I walk out my front door I am on the hook for privately paying for everything. There are issues with all facets of government, that's for sure, but we get a lot of good out of it as well, and we get to keep a decent amount of money once taxes are paid. Most modern, western nations have a stronger national government than the US, and stronger social safety nets, more spending on education, etc. I'm not sure if I'd want that, but I'm fine with not gutting what we have. Private education for all and private health insurance for all and private roads for all sounds like a horrible deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies