U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:40 PM
 
Location: NYC
12,706 posts, read 8,634,567 times
Reputation: 13955

Advertisements

I think the Democratic leadership failed the party this year and for a generation. I've seen this in the past, when Reagan rose to power and when Bush came to power. It's a generational change.

Even if Trump lasts only one term, the prospect of having a Democrat President is weak because the democrat party does not have a good message towards the middle class.

Their biggest mistake is letting Hillary Clinton, Pelosi, and Reid dictate the party's mission. The Democrat party went from a middle class backed party in the 2000, to a liberal progressive wing party when Obama was elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:41 PM
 
12,707 posts, read 4,594,370 times
Reputation: 5152
The question you have to ask yourself OP is why you identify with a gang who wants to eliminate all restrictions on legalized bribery in politics to benefit their financial overlords, by nominating clones of Justice Scalia for SCOTUS, give trillions in tax breaks to this same big money donor class, bust unions and get rid of protection and security for workers like overtime pay and handing over SS to Wall Street (as Trump's appointments and the Paul Ryan gang wants to do). They do not represent you OP. They represent the donor class. People like Bernie Sanders, Sherrod Brown, Elizabeth Warren, Al Franken, Tulsi Gabbard, Jeff Merkley, Gavin Newsom, Ed Markey and Jamie Raskin represent ordinary folks. Not the billionaire class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,390 posts, read 11,525,123 times
Reputation: 9006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Right will simply overreach.

They already think they have a "mandate" despite losing the popular vote. Yes, Trump won the election fair and square, but it'd be a mistake for the right to assume that the whole country suddenly agrees with them. Quite a few "liberals" didn't even vote; they wanted Bernie Sanders.
Yep, in four years we could have Bernie. There has been no philisophical shift like we had in 1980.

Trump has two years to make Americans lives better. Otherwise he will be in the same boat as Obama in 2010.

If Weiner had kept his weiner off the internet Crooked Hillary would have won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:51 PM
 
451 posts, read 177,490 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It seems to me there are three ways for you. If conservatives win even more power than they already have, would you pin your hopes on:
A). Physical force, as in having guns and/or going back to the "Weather Underground" approach,
B). Having a robust, well-enforced "rule of law" that could block their worst desires,
C). Counting on Divine intervention (for the religious among us).

What is the best answer for you?

The answer is:

D) Retreating to and hiding in their liberal safe space until the coast is clear.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-25-2016 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: inappropriate content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
13,526 posts, read 5,456,582 times
Reputation: 5291
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think the Democratic leadership failed the party this year and for a generation. I've seen this in the past, when Reagan rose to power and when Bush came to power. It's a generational change.

Even if Trump lasts only one term, the prospect of having a Democrat President is weak because the democrat party does not have a good message towards the middle class.

Their biggest mistake is letting Hillary Clinton, Pelosi, and Reid dictate the party's mission. The Democrat party went from a middle class backed party in the 2000, to a liberal progressive wing party when Obama was elected.
The Democrats haven't represented average working people in a generation. Starting in the late 60's, identity politics became their main priority.

So naturally the working class began to defect to the Republican Party. The first defection of the working class came in 1980 with the "Reagan Democrats;" the recent Trump win is a second defection.

Until the Democrats return to their FDR roots, the working class will be disenfranchised and the gap between rich and poor will keep getting bigger. But the white working class must be willing to share political power with the working class of other races. Otherwise we will never have a "New New Deal."

Last edited by Freak80; 11-23-2016 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Houston
22,390 posts, read 11,525,123 times
Reputation: 9006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Democrats haven't represented average working people in a generation. Starting in the late 60's, identity politics became their main priority. The first defection of the working class came in 1980 with the "Reagan Democrats;" the Trump win is a second defection.
A much weaker one. This was a low turnout election. Trump won by approximately 110,00 votes in three states against a scandal plagued candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,052 posts, read 40,812,327 times
Reputation: 29727
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It seems to me there are three ways for you. If conservatives win even more power than they already have, would you pin your hopes on:
A). Physical force, as in having guns and/or going back to the "Weather Underground" approach,
B). Having a robust, well-enforced "rule of law" that could block their worst desires,
C). Counting on Divine intervention (for the religious among us).

What is the best answer for you?
Putting a NYC Liberal in the White House as will happen 01/20/2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:58 PM
 
10,466 posts, read 3,943,521 times
Reputation: 5126
They appear to believe that they can do it by shrill name-calling, relentless smear-campaigns, personal attacks, and a near constant barrage of lies, fabricated falsehoods and "Fake news". Also, let's not forget the routine, knee-jerk playing of the race card.

The most recent election appears to offer testimony to the contrary, but as we can all see quite easily, the Democrat leftists are actively doubling down on these tactics across the country even as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2016, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,430 posts, read 3,874,567 times
Reputation: 3912
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Conservatives, you don't count on this one. Hoping some liberals will answer (seriously)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Putting a NYC Liberal in the White House as will happen 01/20/2017.
Okay, but this more of a generic question, beyond Trump.
Any serious answers??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2016, 02:04 PM
 
451 posts, read 177,490 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, in four years we could have Bernie. There has been no philisophical shift like we had in 1980.

Trump has two years to make Americans lives better. Otherwise he will be in the same boat as Obama in 2010.

If Weiner had kept his weiner off the internet Crooked Hillary would have won.
Bernie? Yeah right. Poor BErnie already looks like he is 102. LEave BErnie alone and let him enjoy Ben and Jerry's Ice cream in Vermont in the few years he has left.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-25-2016 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:47 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top