Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 04:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,947,222 times

Advertisements

People Went Nuts When A Brooklyn Store Played 'Sweet Home Alabama'

Some yuppies in a Brooklyn co-op grocery store lost their chit after Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama started playing on the speakers. An aghast lady wearing a Love Trumps Hate button ran up to the clerk and demanded that they switch the song.

How laughable! I mean if everyone around the country had to endure Alicia Key's Empire State of Mind, can't a few yuppie hipsters in their crunchy grocery store enjoy some southern rock for a few mins?

But of course anything from middle America is just mired in all the ills New Yawkers hate and Alabama just conjures up stereotypes they can't seem to bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 04:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,827,699 times
I stopped listening to country music because it lost its originality & fan base by making it sound more like pop, rock, hip hop. Never be ashamed of your roots & forget yourself trying to fit in. I still love my cheesy Bollywood movies & music, Indian food. Thought that country & blue grass music was the most American music but havent heard a decent country song on the radio in recent years. I am going to start a petition to bring back original country music & send it to Trump.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:30 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,435,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Some yuppies in a Brooklyn co-op grocery store lost their chit after Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama started playing on the speakers. An aghast lady wearing a Love Trumps Hate button ran up to the clerk and demanded that they switch the song.
I suppose if you believed that this really happened because a conservative blogger claimed to have witnessed it, it might feed a confirmation bias.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:34 PM

21,399 posts, read 10,458,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I stopped listening to country music because it lost its originality & fan base by making it sound more like pop, rock, hip hop. Never be ashamed of your roots & forget yourself trying to fit in. I still love my cheesy Bollywood movies & music, Indian food. Thought that country & blue grass music was the most American music but havent heard a decent country song on the radio in recent years. I am going to start a petition to bring back original country music & send it to Trump.
Lynyrd Skynyrd is not country, they're southern rock.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:39 PM

14,855 posts, read 11,986,213 times
Quote:
People Went Nuts When A Brooklyn Store Played 'Sweet Home Alabama'

How laughable! I mean if everyone around the country had to endure Alicia Key's Empire State of Mind, can't a few yuppie hipsters in their crunchy grocery store enjoy some southern rock for a few mins?

But of course anything from middle America is just mired in all the ills New Yawkers hate and Alabama just conjures up stereotypes they can't seem to bear.
Guess the store should have had a few safe spaces for those poor poor New Yawk libs to cower in, away from the attack by rural America, Lol.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,947,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
I suppose if you believed that this really happened because a conservative blogger claimed to have witnessed it, it might feed a confirmation bias.
I think the greater point was that the coasts cannot ignore the middle anymore. It can't act as though it's not in the union too. The article tried to use the example of the lady thinking that she could easily switch off the song as an analogy for how coastal metros and their yuppie liberal inhabitants easily live in a bubble

Old 11-23-2016, 04:45 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,690,466 times
Wow, offended by "Sweet Home Alabama" playing? Really? I can see why so many have taken to referring to them as "snowflakes." Such delicate little babies.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:46 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,435,256 times
Quote:
I think the greater point was that the coasts cannot ignore the middle anymore. It can't act as though it's not in the union too. The article tried to use the example of the lady thinking that she could easily switch off the song as an analogy for how coastal metros and their yuppie liberal inhabitants easily live in a bubble
There is no "greater point" that I can see if the story is fabricated, and I've seen no evidence to prove that it wasn't.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:49 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,633,507 times
Quote:
"The coasts" refers to the majority of America's population, many of whom are keenly aware of middle America.

From another thread:

In Depressed Rural Kentucky, Worries Mount Over Medicaid Cutbacks : Shots - Health News : NPR

Don't think of it as being ignored. Imagine instead someone being beyond the point of exasperation with a drug addict. Middle America is the junkie in our family. No matter how much you care about someone, their terrible choices eventually fail to surprise.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:50 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,824,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Um, maybe you should take your own advice? you have self hate written all over you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies